1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Shell Feed System

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WesleyB, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Anyone use the P/W shell feed system? If so how do u like it and it is worth the price? Pros and Cons??

Thanks
    Wesley

2. crew

crew TS Member

I have one used it for several years it works great wouldn't load without it. It really speeds up the loader,probably double I don't use hyd. on that loader.

3. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Had one, worked great on a manual machine, then I incorporated a hydraulic unit into that system, then with usage it developed serious feed problems and even more serious (DIS)-functional problems for the operator.

The P/W Shell Feed System is great on a manual system for short term usage but is not good as a lifetime investment and certainly not to be recommended for a hydraulic system especially after it gets a little worn but then that's just my opinion from using one that developed problems.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It's the berrys.

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

The shell feeder was a major factor in buying a 800+ and not a Spolar for me. Like anything mechanical, you need to understand the care and feeding of it, but seriously, it works slick. Once in every loading session a hull will get "caught" in the top of the tube where they drop down and I simply reach up and pull it out, and toss it back into the hopper. This tends to happen more for me when the hopper is light on empties. To me it would make more sense when I first fill it up to the top and start loading?

And I have hydraulic on my loader. I used the P/W manually while playing with AutoMate and hydraulic units, and don't find the shell feeder to be any more or less reliable with hydraulic.

As Whiz has mentioned several times, if the wad manufacturers would just stitch the wads together, you could really automate the loading process. As it is now, if things rock along smoothly, you can knock out some serious reloads quickly.

6. mod12man

mod12man TS Member

a shell feeder will save you NO time on a hydro unit. you have to wait for the ram to cycle wether you watch the shell feeder with your hand doing nothing or if you put a shell by hand while the ram cycles. the ram cycle time is the same. I cant justify the cost of the feeder if it dont save me any time. now on a manual unit, it would definitely save some time since you would never have to take your hand off the handle to feed a shell by hand.

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Didreckson ..... An 800+ is a relative new machine, give yours time and let it ware in, feed problems at the top of the feeder tube are not that big a deal, had my share but after time when the feed block under the turret has been worn in, sooner or later there will be problems like; micro switch at top of feed tube becomes inoperative and does not stop hull pickup disk for rotating (binding up on excess hulls at top of feed tube), hulls gets hung up in the feed tube can result in a empty station in the turret, feed block and feed tube become misaligned and binds up (empty station) or breaks the tube, feed block does not cycle (empty station), chain falls of side of feed block (empty station), feed block binds on hull ramp (empty station) or a multi hull feed with more than one hull trying to get in the same space (something goes bang - loud noise - operator has leaky paints).

With the majority of these problems it is easy to stop the forward motion and make the required corrections with a manual machine but once the hydro gets started something has to give and always when your not expecting it, now that's a serious problem. What it all boils down to is it may be a machine malfunction but it’s always an operator error.

The shell feeder when new and/or working properly is a fine attachment to a P/W but after many years of loyal use with P/W, my experience with the negative aspects of the shell feeder justified the cost of a Spoiler.

8. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

The time savings is probably marginal with hydraulic, but there is a certain "rhythm" you get into just having to deal with the wad that does give the impression you are going a bit faster. It is less for my simple mind to deal with, and that alone was worth it for me. I try to always double check the primer drop and did I put a wad in? 99.99999% of the time both have occurred, but for that .000001% I messed up, I still double check, and not having to deal with the empty hull makes that far easier each and every time.

I reload for both relaxation/hobby and the satisfaction of shooting a load I have great confidence in, not speed or any $ savings, especially with today's lead prices. When I have to buy new lead, it will be interesting if reloading costs more or less, but I will continue to do it since I believe my reloads are better rounds than cheap throw aways.

9. WesleyB

Thank you for all the post and advice. One thing you can count on is getting alot of different responses. I read alot on here but do not post much. Lots of good information and that helps in making a decision. I will purchase one in the next month or so. I use the 800B Manual, cant seem to swallow the cost of the hydro as of yet.

Thanks again,
    Wesley

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

If and when the shell feeder becomes a PIA, the P/W will no doubt be replaced by a Spolar. My hydraulic unit is a Spolar with the P/W ram, as the foot control is far superior to what I thought the P/W offering was. The 800+ is fairly new, and I keep everything clean and aligned, so thus far the old shell feeder has been a positive experience.

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hydraulic is more useful than a shell feeder. Time should not be the only measure of reloading. Crimp, primer seating, wad placement, accuracy of powder and shot drops, and repair are very important factors in reloading machines. I owned, in order, an 800+[returned for defects], a 2000 Platinum [gave up on the primer feed], and now a Spolar with PW hydraulics [my only criticism is that it is too fast and just makes perfect shells]. I no longer am a PW mechanic... just a reloader. Fred

12. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

WesleyB ... Your 800B is a good machine and could last you a lifetime, instead of buying a new model P/W why not make a small investment in a DIE REMOVAL SYSTEM for your existing machine. This upgrade should bring your machine up to current standard with only a $110.00 investment.

Just my two cents.

13. WesleyB

Thanks Rocks

I will look at the Die Removel System at a later date. Need to save my bucks on a case feed hopper. Thank you though because I really forgot that P/W offered that!! Tunnel vision i guess.

Thank you for your two cents!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.