1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Reloading question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OneStab, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStab

OneStab TS Member

Good Morning...Just purchased a used Ponsness Warren 800 and have not been able to get the finished shells to crimp properly. No matter how much I adjust the crimp station there is always a hole in the center of the crimp. The hole is large enough for the shot to run out. Components are STS cases, figure 8 wads,
    16.5 grains 700x and sts primers. Am I just stupid or is there something I'm missing? thanx in advance for your input.....Jim

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jim, probably set to deep. Also your crimp starter could have an effect on this. I'm sure Whiz can fix it in a heart beat. Good luck, Bob

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jim: I agree with Bob. In many cases this problem can be rectified by adjusting the "starter" crimp. Ed

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Lower the pre-crimp and consult your owners manual!!The Wizard will tell all!!PJ

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If none of the advice given above works ... contact Whiz White ... whiz@swsupply.com ... he will tell you how to correct the problem. Also ask him to e-mail you a copy of his PW maintenance manual. Bill Malcolm

6. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

After pree crimp the hole should be about 1/4 of an inch.Alco back the wad preasure to 20 lbs. Fowl Frank

7. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

OneStab acording to Owner's Manual it is most likely your crimp starter. Manual states, A good starting point for adjusting Crimp Stater is to push the housing all the way up to the tool head, then pull housing down about 1/8 inch and retighten the set screw. Also shells with thicker plastic usually require more crimp start. Softer shells (paper) usually less. If there is a hole in the center of the crimp at the final crimp station, set the crimp stater 1/16 inch lower. This will force more plastic or paper towards center of the crimp and hole should disappear. Hope this helps.

John

8. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

wad pressure

9. nipper

nipper TS Member

back off the wad quide a turn or two

bill

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Good suggestions here.

(1) Seat the wad ONLY thusly: the TOP of the wad pedal should be down so that it *just* is level with the top of the hull WHEN IT IF FULLY CRIMPED. In and older 800B, this would put it at about 2½" up, and all the crimp fingers above it...

(2) Adjust the pre-crimper to ONLY fold the fingers in at NO MORE than 45º.

(3) The hole is caused b not enough plastic to fill the space, so you have to lover the pre-crimp AND make sure the wad is not too far down.

I reload on an 800 Plus and I error on seating the wad NOT ENOUGH. I let the Prue-crimp and final crimp push the wad down so my reloads look like a factory load.

You may have to consider going to the Tru-Crimp setup. It has shorter dies, and new style plastic pre-crimper, etc. The finish shells look exactly like factory's.

[​IMG]

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.