1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Trying to make a long explanation shorter...

STS hulls have soft, flexible brass bases. Remington primers have a more square shape and a thicker flange than the original STS primers do. The STS primer is shorter than the Winchester and has a smaller diameter near the flange than the Winchester. The plastic inside the base of the STS hull forms itself to the shape of the end of the STS primer when first fired. The Winchester primer has to push this plastic out of the way to become fully seated. The flexibility of the hull's brass base and the way the PW loader supports the hull and inserts the primer makes it difficult for the Winchester primer to fully seat.

You could try raising the primer seating assembly. You do NOT want to raise the primer seating assembly so high that the primer post takes over as the stop for the lower crosshead of the loader. If it does you will find that the base of the hulls are getting pushed in trying to seat the primers. I pre-prime STS hulls on an old Lee Load-All if I'm going to use Winchester primers in once-fired STS hulls. After the first time the Winchester primers fit without too much effort.

MK

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The reason is that Remington primers are smaller that the Winchesters. It is the resistance to force them in (2nd reloading is no longer a problem.)

Push down on the primer assembly until it bottoms out and look to see if the center pin is flush with the base.

1 . if it is flush, then the whole assembly is set too low. Loosen the Allen screw in the base and gently lift out ... back out the screw in the bottom 2 full turns, tighten the jam nut and try seating a primer ... you may have to back out the screw again until it fully seats the primer.

2. If the center pin is not flush ... after taking out the assembly ... on the side there is an Allen screw that holds the pin in place ... loosen it and adjust the position of the pin.

One of those steps should cure the problem.

3. hank-1

hank-1 TS Member

have loaded thousands of sts hulls and win primers on my 800 b and 800 c the only time i had primer seating trouble is when the table was a little out of time. check the manual it tells you how to time the table it takes just a minute or two or go to whiz white site s&w its in the links page on here.

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I had the same problem with my 800B and 800+. I have never quite got consistently flush W209 primers in 1st Remington reloads. However, I do not find any problem shooting them a tiny bit proud and the hull fire forms to the W209 shape. 2nd reloads seat just fine. I have seen no evidence of gases leaking or any other problem.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have the same problem with my Platinum. Nothing to be done about it. If the machine is adjusted to seat the primer deeper the brass will be concave and the primer will still not be seated. I don't see how anyone loading on a PW press could not have this problem. It is not an adjustment issue. Unknown1 described it pretty well.

I'm convinced Rem does this deliberately so one will use their primers. I don't.

6. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I am in agreement with the last two posts! The first time they are reloaded the primer sticks out just a touch but it still shoots reliably.The second time you load them the primer seats flush!

7. Unknown1

<blockquote>"<I>The first time they are reloaded the primer sticks out just a touch but it still shoots reliably."</i></blockquote>

I shot on a squad with a guy at Silver Dollar who was trying to shoot his STS/Winchester reloads in a Seitz and apparently his primers stuck out a pretty big touch. For at lease 2 shells out of every 5 he had trouble closing the gun and resorted to resting the muzzle on the pad and pushing on the top of the receiver to close the gun. It made the rest of us very uncomfortable.

I have tried removing the excess plastic in the primer pocket by passing a 21/64" drill bit into the hull from the bottom. It removes the plastic and does not hurt the brass. It helps a bit. The larger diameter of the Winchester primer is the real problem and reaming adds an extra step to the reloading process. I've found that pre-priming the hulls and then loading them with the de-priming punch removed from the PW addresses the issue. I reserve the process as a separate activity from loading and usually do a 5 gallon bucket at one time. MEC loaders and the Lee don't have this problem because they support the primer pocket from the inside as the primer is inserted.

I would not try to use any shell if the primer stuck out more than the thickness of the flange. Try to adjust the press to get the primer as far in as possible without distorting the base or abusing the press.

MK

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

One other question is does the way Win. primers fit affect the way Rem. primers fit when going back to Rem products?

Bill

9. Unknown1

It does not seem to be a problem with the steel-base Gun Club hulls. I tried inserting some STS primers into some Nitro 27 hulls that had been used twice with Winchester primers. I could insert the STS primers with moderate thumb pressure but I think they were still tight enough to avoid leakage.

MK

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Cheddite primers exhibit the same problem. At the second loading the problem is gone.

Kiv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.