1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P&W question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS5SPECIAL, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I have a P&W 800. I can't keep the O-Ring from shearing off above the powder bushing.
    any Ideas?

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Are you using super glue to secure it in place? Is it actually "shearing" or rolling over?

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Are you using an aluminum reservoir plate? If so, these are less forgiving, and usually use the square-type o-ring.

If you are using the standard plate (plastic or cast aluminum), the the o-ring should be of the standard rounded, donut shaped, o-ring. In fact, event if the item was shipped NEW with the square o-ring, the rounded one should replace it.

whizwhite_2008_020345.jpg

<i><am trying to post a drawing of the two o-rings - system is down for a bit to accomplish this - will try later></i>

Simply put about three equally spaced drops of super glue in the groove whee the o-ring sits, and the lace the o-ring into place and hold until the glue hardens. Use the cyanoacrylate types of blue sparingly. If you get some of the glue on the surface that rubs against the black plastic powder gear, you can wipe it off with Acetone. However, the Acetone COULD attack some early styrene plastics. The current black gears are of a different type of fibrous plastic and Acetone will not affect them.

Furthermore, there is an optional plastic powder gear available with a large o-ring on its underside that helps to prevent powder migration UNDER the gear.

Hope this helps.

Jim White

4. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

the machine is about 1-1/2 years old. the base plate the hoppers it into is like a black plastic and same for the gear. i'm using a round o'ring. I have never glued it in place, maybe that will work, i'll try it. I have a bushing that is a adapter that adapts to the MEC bushings. not sure if that has anything to do with it?

5. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

also looks like it's rolling over and be pushed out as the handle is cycled

6. whiz white

The Mec adapter should be the same OD as any P/W bushing, and even the inner recess should not pose a problem.

Glue in place.

Whiz

7. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

i'll try it.
    Thanks

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

First, dump the MEC bushing adapter. I do not understand why you spend $15 to add more places for the powder to leak out. Buy the correct P/W or Hornady powder bushing.

Second, dump the plastic base plate. Get an aluminum base with a square section seal. Either mine or P/W's. The plastic plate flexes way too much and will put too much pressure on the seal.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030332.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030312.jpg

9. singles

singles Member

What is the purpose of the o ring?

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"What is the purpose of the o ring?"</blockquote>To create a seal between the hopper base plate and the top of the powder gear. Without it powder would leak into the space between the gear and the plate.

Keller

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

That o-ring is one of the few criticisms I have with the PW, ie an un-lubricaated o-ring in a sliding application moving over an edge just seems wrong.

I hate ham-handed fixits - but I modified my base plate to eliminate the o-ring sliding over the edges of the hole. I cut the countersink 1/8" deeper put in the o-ring, and then fit a 1/8" nylon fender washer to the countersink. The o-ring acts like a spring to keep the washer pressed down on the plate and the washer is stiff enough not to flex and wear on the edge of the bushing hole. Works for very fine grained powder like W296 and WC820.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The best I've been able to come up with is to lubricate the o-ring and the top of the powder gear occasionally with powdered graphite.

Seems to work well with the round o-ring glued into the cast OEM base. Haven't had an o-ring failure in years.

Keller

13. skeeljc

I recommend lubricating the surface of the square section seal in my base with graphite. First put a very light film of oil on the seal. Just put a drop on your finger and rub your finger and thumb together then run your finger over the seal surface. Then put some graphite powder on a Q-Tip and coat the surface of the seal.

The square section seal will not try to roll like the round section o-ring does. Still the seal needs to be glued in place.

Another tip to reduce the seal drag is to loosen the front two thumbscrews that attach the base to the loader. The weight of the powder and shot in the hopper will provide enough load on the seal for it to work properly.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

14. whiz white

Well thanks Skeel for jumping in on this one about dumping the Mec adapters. There are aton of them out there and guys with lots of Mec bushings. Once they weight the correct powder charge, there is absolutely no reason NOT to use them. Probably easier for them to work up a charge, than having to buy who know how many P/W bushings to arrive at a charge they want.

Also, we've had this discussion previously on why the round o-ring is better at swiping across uneven surfaces than the square o-ring. The square one has a greater tendency to be "pulled" out of its recess due to the very action of swiping process. In a perfect world, yes, the square o-ring would probably be a tad bit better, but it isn't a perfect world and powder gears do vary in height, whereas the aluminum bushings do not.

Maybe I should comment on why folks should not buy your aluminum reservoir top, but I'll take the high road on that one.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor 35 years

15. skeeljc

My, my....a bit touchy are we?

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.