1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Primer Tray

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I just got a new to me PW 900 reloader. As I pull the lever I can watch the primer tray flex up and down. It is mounted by a bracket that doesn't look to be designed to accomodate this flexing, and I'm guessing will break eventually, hopefully later than sooner. Is this an issue I need to worry about? Is this the same part as the newer models and will be available in coming years, or should I get a back up now? It looks like I would need to buy a whole new assembly if the brackert breaks. Is there a preventative fix that people have come up with? Thanks, Mark

2. dzneff

dzneff Member

My first primer tray & feed assembly lasted about 10 years before a spot weld broke. Nothing to worry about.
    Dennis

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I just bought a new one but before I bought it I tried JB weld on the crack by the spot welds where the track meets the tray. . By the time I got it to hold the unit was too stiff to work. It's my opinion that its made to flex which in turn helps to get the primers moving down the tray to the track.

Bill

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

One of mine was born in 1965 and it hasn't broken. If it does, off the the local welding shop it goes, no biggy.

5. Reinz

Reinz Member

Like Bill says, it is designed that way to keep the flow.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would wager it wasn't "designed" that way at all, but just a limitation of the design. If "it is designed that way to keep the flow." it is a failure.

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

it's supposed to flex to aid in primer feed movement. Add an occasional coat of wax to the tray and the primers will feed great. The waxing eliminates the need for vibrators and other such paraphenalia.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love my PW but their primer feed system is the weakest part of the loader. I have never broken one but it sure as hell is a joke to keep working

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

" The waxing eliminates the need for vibrators and other such paraphenalia."

Kiv-c, If it's so simple , why didn't Spolar think of that?

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clean the tray once-in-awhile with alcohol, then put a little graphite on it. Those primer will slide...

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You could replace the primer tray with the new Primer Tray Wave System. The spring that connects the tray is probably more forgiving that the spot welded bracket.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

12. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I have the wave system on my Patriot. The spring simply worked poorly! P/W sent me a piece of plastic tubing to use in place of the spring. The plastic tubing works much better, but I still feel that the plastic inserts in the tray could use a redesign.

13. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

At least it sounds like the tray on my 900 is interchangeable with the newer presses, so I'll let it flex away for a while, and replace it if it breaks. Mark

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

A new tray and track is $45.

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

JerryP,
    I've never seen a Spolar, so I know nothing about the type of primer feed it uses. Is it similar to what PW uses? If so, I don't see why something as simple as waxing the tray wouldn't work as well.

16. Reinz

Reinz Member

Spolar uses the same track system and uses gravity assist to feed along with a vibrator actuated with each pull of the handle or press of the pedal.

17. whiz white

I make a vibrator assembly for the P/W machines, usually on request, but I get a couple ahead for inventory.

I started these as the result of a Minnesota shooting director who was dissatisfied with the noise of the Spolar vibrator. I made one for him and he liked it so well, some of the P/W guys twisted my arm to make them a complete unit.

My three Spolar's all had the same setup and it worked great, it was just that the intermittent motor vibrators struck a nerve with me. My units are less obtrusive.

Whiz

Here's a photo of the Spolar setup. The P/W setup includes the control box, wiring, power supply, and motor mount. I am now making the control boxes in aluminum housings versus the cheaper plastic ones.

moderator_2008_030384.jpg

18. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Whiz,

Can you post a photo of your P/W tray? Does the vibrator run constantly?

Thanks,

Paul

19. whiz white

moderator_2008_030387.jpg

The control box is of a different and better design now. It has two LED's, one for On, and another for when the motor should be running, and the control box is now of cast aluminum.

It comes with a full set of instructions, power supply, thumb screws, extra fuses, two replacement Allenhead scres, wire ties; all parts necessary to mount it, etc.

No, it does not vibrate all the time - that would drive me frickin nuts! That little switch roller drops down as the Rack Gear slides forward, energizing the circuit and the motor vibrates, and when the Rack Gear returns to battery, she stops.

I need to take some current photos for the instruction sheet. The present full instructions sheet uses the photos above.

Jim White

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The problem has nothing to do with the slipperiness of the tray. If wax was the solution , none of us would have any trouble and Spolar wouldn't have vibrator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.