1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Primer Feed Fix

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I hear a lot of complaints about the primer feed on the Ponsness/Warren loaders. Here is a video of my 800 Plus running with Cheddite primers. I cleaned the surface of the primer tray with lacquer thinner to remove all the primer dust. I also raised the back of the tray as much as possible. I am loading Remington Gun Club hulls which have a steel head so there is some induced shock which helps the primers to flow. Before I cleaned the tray the primers would not keep the track full.

The biggest problem is the primer dust accumulating on the surface of the tray. The primer dust increases the friction and this keeps the primers from flowing.

If additional vibration is needed you can add the Track Tapper.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w9HnEP1Hogk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a shot of how I have the guides positioned.

[​IMG]

2. ziegmund

ziegmund Active Member

Good idea, will try this

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I notice you are running that about 1/3 full. I have had problems when it is full. Also I see you are not running the 300 primer tray. I have discovered my problems are less as they run lower. Heck I should just throw out the 300 tray... Yours does seem to flow nice though. Here are a couple problems I have had.

1. To much preasure from back side and primer will catch making the transition from tray to track.

2. bunching at the flipper neck down. Trying to go 3 wide sometimes.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

**Edit I have also noticed with the 300 extension tray the lid cant support itself very well and is over spanned. causes a trap/pinch in the middle and almost to big of opening at the ends where supported.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I gave up trying to address primer feed problems in my 900s with lubes and voodoo. I set my tray on the press the way Tonia described to me on the phone and then set about designing a new baffle for the thing. What I came up with works well enough for me that I can load 200 primers in the tray and use them all...most times without a jam if I keep the tray surface clean and lightly coated with graphite.

The current evolution of the baffle is made simply of a couple thicknesses of 1/8" Lucite scrap from a glass shop cemented together...the one closest to the tray is 1/8" smaller on 2 sides than the one on top to create primer flange clearance. The mounting hole is tapped for a 8/32 Allen screw inserted from the underside. If anybody cares to fiddle with it the tracing is on a piece of 1/8" grid graph paper. Remember that the actual size is INSIDE the lines<center>
    [​IMG]         [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Keeping the tray clean is half the solution to the problem. A single coat of wax - like Birchwood Casey gunstock wax - is the second half of the solution.

Clean and re-wax about every thousand or so primers and your troubles are over!

Kiv

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Really Keller, YOUR design???? be honest

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

I frequently let the primer tray run pretty low, but when I do, I take the opportunity to wipe the tray with a piece of paper towel sprayed with silicone. That usually keeps things moving. It's just another version of clean.

9. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Unknown1 : I like that idea and will try it, mine is the long one for 300 and is almost 100% working and I think that will finish it.

CM

10. Unknown1

OK, JerryP... I did get the original idea from YOU (in living color)...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center> but it's received so much tweaking since then that I figure it's a new species by now. {;-)

But I have to give credit where it's due; without your idea I wouldn't have what I have now!

Keller

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Just messing with you Keller because of all the good conservations we had together on these various issues. Actually , I just copied and applied how a Spolar works.

Also, skeeljc is the guy we need to talk to about the Rem primer seating issue. He could make the decapping pin we discussed

post a link to the picture, I thought it was gone

The angle is probably better on yours, I don't think mine would work well without the vibrator.

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I spray dry silicone on the tray once in blue moon and I also put a small washer over the stud under the plastic top. These two steps solved the jamming problem with federals, never had a feed problem with Winchesters or cheddites.

Surfer

13. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

anyone got an easy and cheap solution for a vibrator. any small "motor" attached to the primer tray should make them "dance" to the bottom.

14. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

A two inch long stroke solenoid with the plunger facing up so it taps the bottom and a switch that the left side of the bar runs over works well for me. It took a little epoxy and a clamp but it was fairly easy. I used a twelve volt AC converter and solenoid that is wired to the hydraulics circuit. That way you do not have a motor vibrating, but you could use the same setup for a small vibrating motor and it might stay on long enough to work.

CM

15. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

CLAYMUNCHER you have a PM. Thanks.

16. Unknown1

For those rare times when the tray needs a little help...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Or, if your Mark I, Model I isn't available, you can go to the Mark II...

[​IMG]

Whiz

18. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Unknown1 : Good one of course but it becomes a game with you and the machine to make it work, the way PW "should" have made it work.

Tinker at heart you have to be.

CM

19. TjayE

TjayE Member

Jim Whiz White, I like your Primer Feed Fix. Simple, and it works. Tom E.

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Just look at the PW video in the other thread that Jim Skeel posted on this subject. One can clearly see that the flow of primers has stopped and the PW thumper does not work to correct the problem.

Concerning the subject of vibrators on a PW, I don't think PW will ever offer one. I was told by a PW rep at the Grand way back in Vandalia that they NEVER would. His position was that a vibrator changed the powder drop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.