1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Press Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Is there anywhere to buy the P/W bushing for the press other than from P/W directly? Is is better to just buy the adapter to make it work with MEC bushings?

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

You can also buy bushings from RCBS or Hornady which will interchange with PW bushings. The Hornady bushings actually come in more sizes and increments so you can get closer to the exact powder charge you are looking for. ....Rick

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Whiz White can offer you both options. He can also custom make any diameter you want. ... whiz@swsupply.com ... Bill Malcolm

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ditto: Use the Hornady bushings as they are more accurate/more choices. Order from Hornady, Whiz White, or even Spolar. P/W and Spolar all use the Hornady bushings. Fred

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hornady bushings are the best. They are available in increments of .003". The number on the bushing is the inside diameter. With .003" increments you will not need any custom bushings.

Forget the MEC adapter. The bushing length is critical to proper sealing on the P/W. MEC bushings seat on the flange. The bushing in a P/W rides on the bottom side of the bushing. Mixing the two formats is going to permit some leakage.

Jim Skeel

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'll just get some Hornady bushings then. How can I tell which Hornady bushing I'll need for my loads?

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

That chart doesn't show me data for e3 powder.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

If you are using Clays or International the most versatile bushing is #447. Fred

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have a drawer full of PW bushings. In the same drawer, is a bottle of fingernail polish to make bushings smaller and a rat tail file to make bushings larger.

Pat Ireland

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"If you are using Clays or International the most versatile bushing is #447."</blockquote>

That depends entirely on the loads you're building and the component combination. I load with both Clays and ClayDot and have never used a bushing that big.

Call Aliant!

Lister

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"That chart doesn't show me data for e3 powder."</blockquote>

On page 402 of the Lyman Reloading Book 5th Edition the RCBS bushing table (data provided by RCBS) shows E3 and RedDot as sharing the same bushing data. The data is listed as "RedDot/E3".

The MEC bushing table (data provided by MEC) shows variations of a few 10ths of a grain between the two powders through most of the bushing range until the very largest 5-6 of the bushing range (#44 and up) where E3 drops up to a grain more.

Lister

12. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Here's another Hornady bushing chart. I'm not sure if the above link will work since it's very long. It has the e3 and 20/28 powders on it as well. You may have to copy and paste the one below on your browser.

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:iH1cvP8rocYJ:www.hornady.com/media/2009_catalog/83_bushings.pdf+powder+bushing+chart+Hornady&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AFQjCNExKRpQ-STKDIKkyrVeD6ntpZMxxg

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Lister: Clays with 447 bushing throws 17.2-4 and is very effective in AA/STS hull with Spolar wad, 1 oz. of shot = about 1200 - 1210 ft.sec. International with 447 bushing throws about 20.0 grains in AA/STS hull, 1 1/8 Spolar wad with 7.5 shot = 1230 - 1250. Both of these recipes are really effective trap loads using the same bushing. I guess it depends on what game you want to shoot and yardage. Fred

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I'm not familiar with the Pw but can a universal charge bar be used on one or can whiz make one for you guys with the PW.

thanks
    lee

15. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"I'm not familiar with the Pw but can a universal charge bar be used on one or can whiz make one for you guys with the PW."</blockquote>

No. A PW bushing fits into a hole in a round gear... one for shot and one for powder. They rotate under the hoppers; they don't slide back and forth.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Besides, I prefer the bushings to a UCB. The threads are so sloppy in the UCB that the factory recommends you adjust it in only 1 direction. That's an invitation to spend half a day fiddling with the thing trying to get the perfect drop only to discover that the next drop is heavier/lighter. I'll stick with simple!

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.