1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Powder Bushings and Red Dot Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

My Reloader is a P/W 800 Plus

I just purchased 16 lbs of Red Dot "clean Burning" powder and it is different. My old load was 19.0 grains of Red Dot and 1-1/8 oz shot. Velocity was an still is 1220 fps. The old Red Dot is about 20 years old and was stored in a temp and humidity controlled room. Temp 67 +/-, Humidity 40%. Yesterday I started checking the powder drop and weighing the drops. The die is a die I hade 20 years ago and it consistantly drops 19.0 grains +/- .1 grain. When I started checking the new Red Dot it was droping 19.9 - 20.0 grains. I checked the die, scale, everything I could think of and it still dropped 20.0 grains. I then removed the new powder and filled the hopper, halfway, with the old powder. It dropped 19.0 grains just like before.

On each test I dropped at least 20 drops each of the old and new Red Dot.

I then installed a letter "L" die which is supposed to drop 18.0 grains of Red Dot. It was dropping 19.2 grains of the new Red Dot. I removed the new Red Dot and filled the hopper withmy old Red Dot and it dropped 18.1 - 18.2 grains.

I took the new powder and hand loaded 19.0 grains with hand loaded 1-1/8 oz 7.5 shot and chronographed it. It chronographed at 1225 fps.

I checked my RCBS 1010 scale with the 250 grain weight that was supplied with the scale and the scale is right on.

Either Alliant has changed Red Dot, or I have a bad batch, or what am I missing?

Respectfully Submitted,
    Andy

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Andy. You are missing the obvious. Program your load to shoot the speed you want and quit worrying about what you cannot control. Yo have 8# of powder to go thru. Get started. Sorry... 16#.

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

My guess is that since Red Dot has become a cleaner burning powder over the years that the formulation changes made have resulted in a denser powder.

As MIA said above, chronograph new lots of powder and load accordingly.

Regards

W&W

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too had some old red dot because I did not load it much. When I started it was the samew scenario. I ran out and bought a new one and had to change bushings. Just go with it and keep weighing your charges

5. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

Can't say what old Red Dot powder drops haven't had my PW 2000 long enough. However I have found that the Red Dot I have been using(newer)tends to weigh a little more than bushing chart says. My advice is to check all powders they can vary from lot to lot. The chart I'm using is PW's which maybe needs to be up dated. IMO a scale is a must have for reloders. I can say that the newer Red Dot burns cleaner than the old.

John

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You apparently need a bushing smaller than an "L" to get the drops you want. Rather than buy the P-W bushings, buy Hornady bushings from Gamaliel Shooters supply. The bushing number is the inside diameter of the bushing in thousandths of an inch. http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=3368&cat=988&page=1

The sizes for some of the P-W bushings are as follows:<ul><li>J - .445" <li>K - .452" <li>J1 - .452" <li>K - .455" <LI>L - .464" <LI>M - .477 <LI>N - .492"</ul>

You can find Hornady bushings that will split the differences between the P-W bushings to give you the drop you want.

MK

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

Andy, I congratulate you on being astute enough to weigh different containers of powder, in my experience red dot and green dot are notorious for different drops from container to container, even with the same lot numbers on the containers.. When you dial them in, they will have quite good consistance from drop to drop . many loaders blindly buy a powder and never know quite what they are shooting. .Incinerate em!

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Click my above link to my web page and download the bushing ID chart.

Whiz

9. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Graf & Sons has Hornady bushings also. Use them in my Spolar.

Mike

10. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

Their is a guy name of Jim,who is at many shoots,and does repairs of PW. He sold me a universal die that goes in inplace of the PW dies,then I use my MEC powder bushings,and I get perfect drops.
    GAZ

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You must be talking about Jim Cunningham. Heck of a nice guy. Here's his web site address with contact info:

http://www.jimsearneye.com/

MK

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I sell the Mec adapters for $12.50.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

year red dot powder was cganged