1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Patriot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stuka, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuka

stuka Member

The new Patriot looks good. Does anyone have any comments on the Patriot with the auto-electric drive and the auto-shell feed. Is it worth having both accessories? How does this compare to the Spolar Gold with all of it's goodies.

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Cant tell you anything about a spolar gold but I have the exact set up you mentioned. I had a 800+ and loaded over 14,000 shells on it and figured it would be good time to upgrade so I purchased the Patriot. After I got everything adjusted and tweaked the way I wanted it is a very nice reloader. I do think the upgrades and changes are far better than the 800+ but they both will produce a factory like shell. I have timed mine and it will load a box of shells every 90 seconds with all the auto things attached. Only way to go in my eyes.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you are looking for speed and will load less than 1000 per session, the shell feeder only will be faster IF YOU HAVE GOOD HULLS AND GET NO JAMS. (My max was 750/hour including the time to top off components). Hand cranking caused fewer bad jams but still required time to address.

With both the shell feeder and auto-drive, I got more severe jams and speed went down because I can hand crank faster than the auto-drive. If you screw up a hull feed, getting the foul up fixed can take from 2-15 minutes depending on how much you need to do. (At least on the 800+)

I ended up selling the shell feeder and staying with the auto-drive. It is slower (about 500/hr) but I load for 3-6 hours at a time. Pulling the handle at "breakneck" speed is not fun and not all my hulls are perfect. With the auto-drive, powder drops seems a bit more consistent than hand cranking.

Just my experience. YMMV

Don Verna

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I agree with Don. The shell feeder is a hassle with jams, using the electric process. If you want one I've go one you can buy. I can't make it work with the electric without jams. It works great with the hand lever.

5. stuka

stuka Member

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Jams are being mentioned with the hull feeder. What kind of hulls are you using. I find that my hull feeder jams using Rem hulls but not with AA's. When it jams the Rem hulls get caught between the pick-up wheel and the hull feeder housing before they can fall. I have assumed it must be because the Rem hulls are a little longer than AA's and it screws up the timing. AA's never jam. I have centered the switch and the housing that covers the switch. There is nothing else to adjust.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I should clarify I never mixed hulls because I am an anal about crimps. STS"s and AA's "need" different crimp set ups - at least to satisfy me. So my jams were not caused by different hulls.

Most of my problems were caused by cases that got tilted on the seating post. A small piece of debris or a piece of shot will do that, and then you have a mess. Getting that debris off the seating post is not easy with the feeder in the way.

Not having the shuttle properly adjusted will cause problems too, but that is not too difficult to do, and it stays adjusted for thousands of rounds in my experience.

I have seen only one poster who runs both the feeder and drive and has no problems. I believe it is possible if you are diligent about cleaning shot spills (even minor ones) and you do not store your hulls where "crap" can get on them and/or you inspect your cases before loading them. For me, inspecting cases defeats the time savings of the hull feeder. But, a careful person can make both the feeder and auto-drive work well.

With manual hull insertion, I cull any "bad" hulls as I pick them up but I do not get many. Bits of dead grass, pieces of bark (my hulls get stored near the firewood in the garage) etc never make it to the seating post.

Don Verna

PS One modification I intend to make is to add a magnet to the top of the seating post to aid in stabilizing hulls on insertion.

8. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Check your PM's when you have a chance.

9. shot410ga

Once again I agree with Don.

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have a P_W 800C with a hydrulic (a little slower than the electric) and hull feed system and I don't experience any of the problems stated above other than the occaisional long STS hull that stops the wheel in the hull feeder but it takes a second or two to get back on track. Unlike Don I don't need a wood pile here in Florida so maybe that's why I have fewer problems. JRM

11. stuka

stuka Member

Didreckson,

Feel free to send me a PM. See email address as I have checked it.

Thank you guys for your experiences.

Dean

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have my fully automatic MEC loader in the basement, it is self feeding, both powder, shot, wads, primer catcher, auto primer loading, automatically loads the shells in the boxes, I just watch TV when it comes to reloading.

It just costs me food, shelter, and a new car.

Plus she does laundry, cooks, and washes dishes. What more can you ask for, the last automatic loader wanted a divorce, hated to see her go.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Dr. Longshot has the slickest loader I have ever heard of.

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I bet I could count on one hand the times my auto shell feeder has jammed. Just like the loader, it is a mechanical devise and does need some attention on occasion. I know what to look at and I know how the thing supposed to work. People who are not mechanical inclined should not be reloading on any kind of loader.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The factory is getting the "bugs" out of the new Patriot. I have had one prior to their release to the public, and I worked out a couple of small issues. They factory now assures me that no machine leaves without loading some shells. One of my best customers lost hair over some of the small issues, but, hopefully, the machine is making itself known.

I normally install that magnet that DVERNA mentions when I do a repair.

Unfortunately, the Patriot has a multiple piece shell seating post (see below) but where the magnet should be is a flat head hex screw. You could go the the previous design found on the 800 Plus machines, but the Patriot's seating post is externally adjustable similarly to the primer seating assembly.

moderator_2008_030350.jpg

16. shot410ga

Goose2 aren't you special. So mechanically inclined, WOW.

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I don't know about special but I do know how to figure things out. If you just listen to some of the questions people ask about there re-loader it makes one wonder how in the world they even realize they are reloading a shotgun shell. Sometimes you just have to sit back and figure it out on your own. If you are capable that is LOL.

18. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I bought a pw hull feeder with a pw2000 when the feeder first came out. I have put a piece of grey tape where the hull falls into the drop tube. I haven't had a bit of problems with the feeder. You can't blame the machine if you put deformed or dirty hulls in and it jams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.