1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P W Patriot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Glenn Fahs, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Fahs

Glenn Fahs TS Member

Has anyone out there purchased a new Ponsness Warren Patriot yet. If so I would like to hear your thoughts on this new machine.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I like mine.

Whiz

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am just getting mine rolling. I will be testing it in full operation for the first time this morning. By that, the Electric Drive and Shell Feeder all together with the loader.

I got the Patriot and loaded a few boxes by hand to get a feel for it. Then added the electric drive in when it arrived. Just dialed the shell feeder in yesterday, or so I think. It ran 6 test hulls just great after adjusting the shell seating post about 10 times. I just could not get them seated all the way in and kept leaving it short so to speak. Electric drive is as advertised...quiet, powerful and easy to run.

I like the loader, and you won't find a better crimp on ANY machine. Top end is all new for sure. If there were two things I would like to see different, it would be acrylic tubes for shot and powder and with the no hull/no powder feature, draining the machine is a PIA. Good news is, acrylic tubes are easy to come by, and I almost always run the components down to nothing at the end of a session, so neither are an issue. I don't know how you could drain with the no drop feature any easier, so just run the shot/powder down.

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Here is my finished product....just a couple of more modifications needed. I had an opportunity it run it as intended, all parts flying along together. Pretty amazing how fast you can load up a flat.

Had to adjust the clutch a tad tighter, and the chain that controls the shell feeder into station one stretches quickly requiring a half turn of the lock nut. Otherwise, it is a real pleasure to use. While the Spolar hardly, if ever, misses a primer, I do enjoy seeing it right in front of me. So far (drum roll please) the PW has not missed a single primer feed using it by hand, electric feeding it the shell myself, and today just doing the wad and watching.

So far I would rate it a keeper. As with all equipment, there is a learning curve and understanding, once that is done things roll along pretty smoothly.

[​IMG]

5. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Very nice looking set-up. Dale

6. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

what is the hopper you use for the wads? Looks perfect.

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Where did you get the container for the wads?
    Robert

8. soup

soup Member

Darrell ,

I hope the Patriot works out well for you . The addition of the Auto Drive & Hull Feeder really make a nice efective , and yet compact setup .

Darrell is one of the good guys . I was adapting the hull feeder to my 800Plus with an AutoMate II and he routed around until he found me photos of his old almost identical set up . The pics were over 4 years old . That is a nice effort to a fellow shooter he doesn't even know !!!

Good luck & good shooting .

BILL aka SOUP

9. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

Wad Hopper looks like a Auto Dog/Cat waterer you can get at any pet supply house.

Shane

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Shootsun wins the prize...it is a dog feeder. I would love to take credit for the idea, but honestly it was yet another great idea I saw on ts.com and then went on walk about until I found a unit with a wide mouth at the bottom. Many units are too small at the opening, or the water dishes which are totally useless for wads.

Best part, it holds two bags if need be, and dispenses them slowly and cleanly. I think on sale it was like $23.00 and change....

11. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

May be a silly question but why does the patriot cost $400 more than the 800+?
    Or rather is it worth it since the 800+ is so easily converted for smaller shells should you want. It would also seem the 800+ would apeal to a larget audience if needed to be sold.

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

sptnclays, that is a question only you can answer after looking them over. The 800+ is a fine unit and has all the gauges if that is needed.

The Patriot has bearings in the bottom, similar to Brand S that we all covet. The no drop feature without hull present for both shot and powder, larger primer tray standard, and lock out gizmo on the back that will not let someone who should not be reloading double charge a shell.

Pretty much sounds like a Patriot ad, but those are the items that stood out to me. If it is worth $400, can't say. Can say so far I really like the loader now that we understand each other better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.