1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Patriot about ready to ship - More Pictures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's info I received from the factory today.

whizwhite_2008_02035.jpg

No set price as of today.

Whiz

UPDATE: Scroll down for some actual pictures and pricing information.

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Whiz, any chance for a future conversion/upgrade to the needle bearings in existing 900s?

I'm pretty satisfied with my loader, but do consider the nylon base bushings a real weak point.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Will we see the machine marketed/displayed at state or larger shoots [West Coast?]. No retailer in CA. carries P/W for sale. Fred

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Subgauge conversions available?

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

On top of all the improvements they have actually replaced the spent primer bin after all these years. LOL

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Are spent primers becoming so valuable that this press comes equipped with a "Large locking spent primer box??

Too bad they didn't put the factory shovel handle on it; it would be a lot more comfortable to use than a straight L-handle...the hand grip is bigger and it puts the hand and arm in line with the handle and closer to the loader, AND the handle can be angled for comfort by just loosening the bolt that holds it to the shaft.

MK

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

There is supposed to be one at the Southern Grand tomorrow. I was told around $1275. Will take a look see tomorrow and report back. JRM

8. whiz white

The factory is shipping me one tomorrow. They expect to be out in a month. Price will be $1,250.

I expect a video of its operation in the shop tomorrow. It was too big for them to email to me, so they dropped it in overnight mail today, Monday.

Here are some pictures of the machine and some of its new features.

Here is a better picture of the complete reloader:

whizwhite_2008_02039.jpg

Below is the Bushing Access Top Plate (the BLACK plate is anodized aluminum):

whizwhite_2008_02036.jpg

This is a photo of the Double Charge Lock unit:

whizwhite_2008_02037.jpg

Here is another of the Double Charge Lock mechanism:

whizwhite_2008_020310.jpg

This is a photo of the Ergo Handle that spins freely:

whizwhite_2008_02038.jpg

Here is one of the how you drain the powder:

whizwhite_2008_020311.jpg

I will post the video and have it available on my website once it is received.

Whiz

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1, for years PW has been suppling a spent primer tray that was designed for an older press. The bottom is contoured to fit into the base of the old press and was totally out of place on the newer presses. They did it to save money , of course, and was no big deal but was something to joke about.

10. whiz white

Regarding the use of needle bearings as a retro-fit, I have done several.

The biggest problem is the type of casting of the base. In order to bore out the base to an appropriate size to accommodate needle bearings, the bases which have cavities do not have enough material in them to accept a bored out hole.

I guess one could install a flanged sleeve to accept the new bearings after over-boring the base, but I've not experimented with that yet. I have wasted about $600 in specialty machining to test various designs for needle bearings. Actually, I spent $651 to have one completely bored out for the 1¼" cross-shaft, roller bearings and everything else. I sold that to a good ts.com friend for $500, I think. Helluva profitable sale - ha!

I do have in the shop right now, an old solid aluminum casting for an original 800B that has been bored out and needle bearings installed. I need to only machine two grooves in the 7/8" diameter cross-shaft to hold a pair of snap-rings and it is done. Unfortunately, I paid way too much to have it line bored, so I really can't offer a reasonable retro-fit...yet.

I have stalled the above because I want to install a 1¼" cross-shaft turned down to 7/8" through the bearings and then a 1¼" collar on the left to accommodate the cross-head link. This would eliminate the aluminum cross-shaft end caps that were part of the links. I've just not had the time to experiment more. I am trying to get these darn vibrators out the door.

Whiz

11. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I could be wrong and probably am but it seams like not too many upgrades over the 800+ for $400.00 (Ten bags of shot at today's prices). It will be interesting to read reviews on the first field tests.

12. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

What happened to the "grivory" guaranteed for life tool head?? jack

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

For $1250 they can keep it, I'll get a Spolar before I pay $1,250 for another PW. At $1,000 I was a buyer, $1,250 I am not.

15. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

There are a lot of things to like about this reloader, and I just purchased a Spolar in December. I love my reloader, but I wish P/W great success with this. I look forward to a healthy competition between Spolar and P/W.

16. Unknown1

I'm curious about this listed feature:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>The mounting point for the tray has obviously been moved to that bracket clamped onto the left upright but I'm curious about how it was changed to "self-induce" vibration:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

17. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Whiz,

Looks like the hull base will still be unsupported from the inside when inserting primers? I've found this to be a bit of an issue when using steel based hulls, e.g. Gun Clubs, as the primers do not fully seat all the time...about 25% are a bit high.

WNCRob

18. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am curious how P/W can introduce a reloader in this day and age at a cost of $1250? With all of the complaining about the rising cost of reloading components to spend that much money on a reloader does not make sense.

I am sure it is probably one of the finest reloaders on the market and I would love to own one, but is it worth that much more than a MEC? After all don't all reloaders turn out the same product in the end?

Bryan

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Really nice machine. List price is $1250 as stated by Whiz. Even with all the features it appears to be a much simpler design. No more gear and rack drive and nice easy adjustments for primer depth and case length. Primer tray is mounted on a spring and it has a shaker that activates with every stroke. Worth the price IMO. JRM

20. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Looks like the hull base will still be unsupported from the inside when inserting primers? I've found this to be a bit of an issue when using steel based hulls...as the primers do not fully seat all the time...about 25% are a bit high."</blockquote></I>Whether or not this is a design issue depends on (1) how well the press is adjusted and (2) how much resistance there is when trying to resize the steel bases.

There can be a lot of resistance caused by trying to resize steel bases in a P-W press and that could reduce crosshead travel and keep the primers from fully seating. The easiest way around that is to use a MEC "SuperSizer" to resize the hulls to .806"-.807" before reloading them so the press can travel full stroke. Takes me 5 minutes to resize 100 hulls after I clean my gun. They accumulate in buckets until it's time to reload.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.