1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W OWNERS - CAUTION using square o-rings

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by whiz white, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have never sold the square type o-ring to replace the o-ring on the underside of the top reservoir. It is being sold after-market. The BLACK PLASTIC RESERVOIR does come with the square o-ring from the factory, but the plastic housing is forgiving; the aluminum base is not.

If you use the square o-ring in place of the standard round o-ring ON AN ALUMINUM EZ-FILL BASE, you will eventually have the serious problem I encountered today.

I was reloading about my 20th shell on a pretty new 800 Plus and hydraulic unit, when there was a LOUD BAND and clang. The Upper Link (one that drives the powder and shot gears) broke into pieces.

It was pretty difficult draining powder even when I managed to slid the Rack Gear back to its home position. I assumed correctly that the square type o-ring was blocking the draining process. Upon inspection I found part of the o-ring in the powder bushing and the rest of it in my drained powder.

Look below to get an idea why I have not liked the square o-ring type. These rings are ONLY to be used on the BLACK PLASTIC BASE on the EZ-FILL Hopper system.

Although most do not reload with a hydraulic unit, it would still be a problem, especially seriously affecting powder drops. The hydraulic has tons of power, whereas in a handle operation, you *should* feel something wrong and be able to stop in time. The links are only $10 plus shipping, but I fear that I may have affected the two lower links, and possibly the hex shaft.

I though I would pass this along to you guys as a cautionary thread.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

[​IMG]

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks Whiz. Jeff

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The square o-rng will work just fine provided it is glued in place just like the original one from Ponsness/Warren is glued to the plastic housing. I have been using a square section o-ring on my machined aluminum base. I glued the square ring to the aluminum riser with Super Glue. I also coat the exposed surface of the seal with graphite.

A round o-ring will roll ant it will eventually be cut too. I have tried both round and square seals. The square seat actually resists rolling over better once it is bonded to the housing.

It is critical to have the correct groove for the seal to work. If the groove is not deep enough the seal will have too much pressure on it and it will roll and/or be cut. If the groove is too deep the seal will leak. The seal on my machined aluminum base will seal Winchester 296 which is something a Spolar will NOT do.

Jim Skeel

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I did glue in the square one, and the round one.

In all my years of reloading, I have never had a link break from an o-ring hanging up like this one did.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.