1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W: Must have accessories?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My first PW is on the way. After using MECs my entire career, starting out with 600 jrs, sizemasters, 650s, and 9000s, I guess I'm starting from scratch again.

What are the must-haves for the PW 800+? Already want to get a bushing adapter so I can use the supply of mec bushings i've accumulated.

What else is out there? The press is coming w/ extended primer tray, shovel handle (i'm getting a hydro so this doesn't really matter), and a couple other do-dads.

Any spare parts I should have on hand just in case?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jus the crimp opener (huh-uh?) It opens crimps a bid wider so that the wads do not catch on the way thru the crimp station. Works better, but not perfect. Some wads, claybuster when cold do not want to go down without catching.

As always, I can get a pic fo ryou.

Jack

It goes on the Primer press tube.

Sorry I do not know all the names fo rthisstuff.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I believe your referring to the "flair tool"? My buddies just put these on their PWs.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Look at the electric drive before deciding on the hydraulic unit.

A counter is nice to have.

Vibrator for primer tray. Got mine from Whiz White

Spare die access plates - you are out of business if it breaks.

Tool Steel primer ram - only Whiz White has them

Brush cleaner for 1st Station - I wrap the brush with some cloth and add lubricant every 500 shells to ease resizing. Especially if resizing steel bases.

Download a copy of Whiz White's Maintenance and Lubrication pamphlet. Go to S&W Supply on home page of TS.com

It is a very good machine and PW is doing a better job of customer care than in the past. Whiz White is a good man to deal with.

Don Verna

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jim. When I got my PW, I didn't do someting that my MECs were famous for. Taht is to make adjustments to facilitate differing column configurations when changing loads. So far, I hav enot made any adjustemnts to my loader. Why? because I have been using componets that match up with the factory ssettings.

STS hulls only,

1 ounce lead with the one ounce fig 8 wad and Titewad

1-1/16 wiht the one ounce wad wiht Titewad powder

1-1/16 wiht the fig 8 for ounce and an eigth wad and Green dot or PB.

I would need to get a shorter wad column to go to my number 6 shot bushing.

So, get a 5.5 shot bushing and you will not have ot change your loader positions.

Fills the hulls perfectly wiht well seated crimps.

Now whenever I contemplate change I only do so with components to match the machine setting. Will not chabnge that. Will not.

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Don, can you give some more detail on the primer tray vibrator, such as what it looks like, what powers it, cost, etc.?

Thanks...

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

skeet_man- Get used to your new PW first and then think about any accessories you may want. The machine will work fine as it comes to you. After you have loaded a bit, think about getting the standard primer tray cover for your extended system. This will let you dump in 100 primers without moving anything. The primer tray vibrator will work, but so will two light finger taps on the primer tray.

Pat Ireland

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pat's right; there really are no "must have" accessories. The press will work properly as is.

After you have put about 20 or 30,000 shells through it you might think about ordering a couple extra plastic wad guides and a spare spring each for the final crimp station and the knockout tool. I've had a final crimp spring break because the Allen set screw hidden under the top coil of the spring and backed out and scored the spring to the point where it broke at the second coil. I have spares for the shell seating post (station 1), the new primer assembly (station 2) and the wad carrier but have not needed them yet.

Before you start loading shells, read the manual through carefully and pay attention to the cautions and warnings the factory provides/

MK

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have never had a wad problem and never even knew a flare tool existed. In 8 years using every wad and hull made I have not had a problem. I can guarantee you you will want the metal base though. PW now makes one, Jim Skeel makes a nicer one. The only adjustemnt in 8 years I have ever made is the primer feed, it ispretty much a sad case of enginering but the rest of the loader is awesome

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Sold a Dillon for my 800+ and have never looked back.
    Just yesterday ordered electric drive w/hand toggle and auto case feeder.
    Cant wait to add the new toys.

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I agree with the logic of waiting on accessories. Whiz has some great extras that I used in the past, among them the over sized depriming punch that works great pushing out the primer and opening the mouth of STS/Nitro hulls a tad more. His hardened primer rams are superior to P/W. The extended primer tray is something that I think is a "gotta do" as it makes putting primers in so much easier. Brush in the first station is neat polishing the holders. I had Jim Skeel's machined base in place of the P/W plastic one. Don't know if that changed the vote in congress, but I really liked it. Used the handle, electric and hydraulic on it.

None of this is necessary to load a great shell, but all make it a nicer experience.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

klv-c,

I got the vibrator a while ago. It was about $30 or so - I cannot remember.

It is attached under the primer tray and there is a small motor that drives an eccentric cam that results in the vibration. A small transformer plugs into an outlet and connects to an of/off switch box with a light.

Takes about 10 minutes to install.

I forgot to add get the 300 primer tray extension.

I normally load 1-2000 or more rounds at a sitting. Anything that reduces stoppages in the process is a benefit for me. If you load a flat at a time, or have more patience than I, many "upgrades" may not be worthwhile.

Don Verna

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

cubancigar2000- I have loaded a lot of shells with my PW and, at this time, I do not want a metal base. I do have a vibrator for the primer tray. I made it from parts I took out of an electric toothbrush. If I ever need it, I will install it but now it is in a drawer next to my never used crimp flair attachment. I do always keep a couple pf the plastic wad guides on hand. These will break now and then.

Reading the manual first is a very good idea. I never seem to get around to reading it until I have a problem.

Pat Ireland

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's the vibrator I built for both the P/W's and Spolar's. I don't make them any longer because they are too time consuming to make them right.

Whiz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Pat:
    Can Use it for a toothbrush when not on loader?
    On second thought, might knock some fillings loose!!

Doyal

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

sounds like most of the stuff my Spolar has.

tony

17. soup

soup Member

FOLKS ,

If anyone has one of those vibrators for the primer feed that the "WHIZ " made and they are not using it ,I would like to buy it .

Thank you in advance for your time .

BILL

18. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

The factory primer post on a PW is easy to modify to make it external adjustable. I have made many of these for my friends.

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

must have accessories for trap shooting

must have equipment for trap shooting

trap shooting must haves

what to have in a trap shooting case