1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Hydro- What kind of fluid, and how much?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Got my cylinder back today from being rebuild, it works flawlessly. I know I lost some fluid from it when it leaked, and lost quite a bit jockeying the hoses around to get them woven through my bench.

What kind of fluid is appropriate to refill this with, and how do I know when I have too little, enough, and/or too much?

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

I asked PW recently and was told to use type AW 46 hydrolic fluid. You should go Whiz Whites web site and down load a copy of his instructions. It will answer all your questions.
    Doug

3. dward

dward Member

AW 46 is what I have and I got mine at a Fleet Farm. Back when I bought it, I got 2 gallons and have had 1.9 gallons sitting in my shop for 10 years. So I'd get a gallon at most, and a quart should be plenty. As for how full.......it's just a resevoir that drains from the bottom into the pump, and as everytime fluid goes out the same amount comes back in the level doesn't flucuate so as long as it's over half full you should be ok. I looked at mine, and it is at about 3/4.

Glad to hear the shop took care of your cylinder.....

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing on how full. So apparently there isn't much expansion of the fluid due to heat.

Bill

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Head to the kitchen and grab a bottle of the wife's vegetable oil.

6. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Would any good quality Hydraulic oil work? As far as the proper amount, just retract the ram and then fill the resevoir but leave it down an inch or so. That way it will never overflow.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

http://www.tractorsupply.com/hydraulic-fluids/mystik-reg-pl-aw-hydraulic-iso-46-2-gal--8030669

Is this what i'm looking for? Looks to be the only thing I can get semi-locally that is less than a 5 gallon pail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.