1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Hydraulic cylinder rebuild?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone ever had a PW hydro cylinder rebuilt? I bought one from a friend of mine, and the first time I hooked it up and ran the press through a couple cycles, it leaks like a sieve right where the piston goes in and out of the housing. I have it at a local hydraulic cylinder repair shop right now, they are going to call me with an estimate tomorrow, so right now I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should expect to pay, and if anyone knows of another shops that may be able to rebuild this for me if the one its at now either can't do it, or they want a ton of money to do it. I can't believe just the cylinder from PW is $450 LOL. Already contacted PW, and they don't offer any sort of repair or rebuild service, doesn't really surprise me too much since they probably buy most of the components elsewhere and simply assemble them for sale.

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

This was the main reason I went with the electric drive. It doesn't matter what you do to them the oil ones are going to leak sooner or later.

3. dward

dward Member

I have the old style with two rams and they leaked when I got them. I took them apart and got new seals at a hydraulic shop like you are doing. The leak is from the seal around the shaft and either the seal is bad or the shaft is scored or both. There are also seals around the ram inside the cylinder,but the only way to know if they are working properly is with a pressure gauge. I installed a pressure gauge on my machine and PW can tell you what the pressure should be if you install a gauge. As the pumps pressure output can be adjusted, I think it is a good idea to have a gauge. I think the desired pressure is somewhere around 300-400 psi and I got a 0-1000psi liquid filled gauge at the hydraulic shop. My guess is that the seals around the ram inside the cylinder are ok, but once it's all apart you might as well install new ones too.

Honestly the repair should be simple and if there is no visible scoring it should just be a matter of replacing the seals. I'm not sure how available the seals are, but I'm guessing they are fairly standard. Also, to insure things seal properly it's a good idea to polish the shaft with a very fine polishing cloth, and it wouldn't hurt to do the same to the inside of the cylinder. Kind of like honing a cylinder when you put new pistons in a car engine.

I used Force America and they can be found at forceamerica.com

Good Luck - Dan

4. dward

dward Member

If the shop doesn't tell you what you want to hear and you want to fix it yourself............it's been a few years since I fixed mine, but after looking at the cylinder on PWs site I remember now what I would and wouldn't do.

When I took mine apart, I slid the piston completely out of the cylinder and it was very difficult to get the new seals over the threads that hold the end of the housing on without damaging the plastic seals. So if I were doing it again, I would install the pressure gauge first and see if the pressure is adequate, and the same in both directions. This will tell you whether the internal seals around the piston are ok. If they are ok I would remove the end cap and only slide the piston up to the threads. You can then polish the shaft with the piston still in the cylinder. Then with a new seal installed put the end cap back on and you should be good to go.

If the pressure gauge indicates you need new seals on the piston then tear it all apart and have at it. The challenge is getting the seals through the threads with something like a piston ring compressor you would use to put a piston with rings back into a cylinder.

5. STOS

STOS Member

A new cylinder from Ponsness Warren is $250.00.The complete cylinder kit is $450.00

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Call Spokane Hydraulics in Spokane WA. This is who puts these together for P/W. This is what the factory told me a while back.

I did a Google search and did not find "Spokane Hydraulics," but did come up with several there you could try to contact and see if they are the ones who builds them.

[​IMG]

WW

7. skeet_man

Picked up the cylinder from being rebuilt today. $102 and change w/ tax. Will post contact info up here as soon as I can for anyone else who may be interested, this appears to be about the standard price for this type of service.

8. skeet_man

The company was:

Cylinder Services

900 Maple Street

Rochester, NY 14611

585-328-0670

Scot Anderson, Service Manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.