1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I changed the wad fingers on my P/W 900 loader last night. For whatever reason the wad carrier assembly now sits too low and scrapes/damages the mouth of the hull when it comes across to seat the wad in the hull. In the manual it says something about the wad carrier cam screw has to be screwed into the "nylon liner". I can't find this nylon liner. Maybe it broke and fell out. Could this be the problem? I created a thread on this last night and then deleted it;because I thought I had it fixed. Wrong!! Anybody know anything about this? Thanks in advance for any help you can supply. Ed

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The nylon liner sits inside the top cavity of the aluminum assembly. When one removed the cam screw (bolt) and moves the wad carrier around, the white nylon liner #63 can move around a bit. If, when inserting the cam bolt back in, the liner can move just enough to get in the way of the cam bolt coming through the threaded hole.

If this happens, the cam bolt tends to punch a hole through the liner and then the punched hole of plastic itself get into the cam bolt channel messing things up, AND the liner then gets twisted enough to mess a smooth operation up some.

You should probably remove the entire top toolhead, slide the carrier up and out to inspect it. There is also a flanged liner sitting in the base of the wad carrier housing. If replacing either, you should replace BOTH and thoroughly clean and grease the cavity AND the liners when reinstalling.

Here's a picture of the assembly...

Incidentally, #63 does not look entirely like this. There is a cutout portion in it to permit the cam bolt to be inserted WITHOUT the punch hole problem. This drawing does NOT show this cutout.

[​IMG]

Here's the instructions, if you can read these...

[​IMG]

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

3. esoxhunter

I know I assembled the wad guide correctly. I even called P/W and talked to someone about this today. Whiz: Thanks for your detailed info. I am thinking of sending the entire unit to you and have you go over it. What would it cost to "tune it up"? (Approximately) Thanks.. Ed

4. whiz white

I charge $165 and parts. This is a complete teardown and rebuild. I'll have 4-6 hours in it, and really can't charge my normal $55/hr.

It usually runs around $200.

Whiz

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

And worth every penney!! Fred

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ed, does the whole housing #62 actually set lower and hit the hull or do the parts held in by #73 hit the hull? #73 should be flush with the housing #62 and nothing sticking out below. If #64 is missing the housing could drop maybe 1/16 ". It doesn't seem likey #64 would change by replacing the wad fingers.

7. esoxhunter

Jerry: The whole housing actually is sitting too low. #73 is not doing the damage; as that is all flush. The entire assembly seems to have dropped down. In fact I took a thin washer and clamped it under the base of the assembly, (which raised it about 1/16"), and it worked fine. I just can't figure out what made this assembly move down. (However I did have a problem previously, where I had to clear the entire turret of shells due to it locking up on me). During the process I might have forced something too much and broke a part. I just don't know. Thanks. Ed

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

ED, I have a Platinum. The wad carrier housing #62 is 1/16" above the crosshead. It looks like the bushing #64 determines that height. If your #62 rests on the crosshead that is your problem. You say you raised #62 with a washer and it worked but is that washer in addition to the 1/16" you should already have? I don't like the nylon bushings but the alternative would be a much higher priced machine. So, check and see if #62 touches the crosshead. I don't see how the #64 bushing could vanish though, at least without being noticed.

9. esoxhunter

Jerry: I just took a close look and #62 does not rest on the base of the machine. It is raised about 1/16" off the base by what looks to me like a washer. (Must be #64). However the wad carrier itself (#62) is still too low and hits the hull. (It never did that before) Once I slide this other washer under #62, it raises the wad carrier a little more and gives me proper clearance. Maybe I should just leave the washer there. :) It just is a mystery why this assembly all of a sudden is not high enough to provide clearance for the hulls. Ed

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

OK Ed, It sounds like the problem is not the wad carrier. #62 is resting on the flange of #64 and you have the proper 1/16" clearance. Adding the washer creates more clearance to solve another problem. Your wad carrier is not too low, your shells are too high. You say you had a problem with the turret and may have broken soemthing, so that's the place to look. Does something bump the shell up when it comes to the wad station?

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Does the wad carrier have a lot of slop that would allow it to sag enough to hit the shell. Not sure that it possible, just a thought.

12. esoxhunter

Jerry: I thought I had it fixed. I took all the dies out of the turret and found a primer that somehow wedged itself under the turret. (This was near the location where the wad carrier operates. I loaded about a dozen shells and everything was fine. All of a sudden I again had the wad carrier hit the mouth of the hull. I looked down and found almost no clearance between the shell mouth and the carrier. However, I then immediately placed that washer underneath and of course then it was fine. What I should have done is ran a few more hulls and see if the problem continued or if it was just an isolated incident. I wish I hadn't quit drinking, because this would be a time for a couple of Manhattens. :) Ed

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ed, My loader had the removable shell holders and I'm not familiar with the older type. Take the turret off and do a little troubleshooting. good luck

14. whiz white

The Wad Guide Carrier (WGC) assembly DOES rest on top of the crosshead. The nylon flanged bushing #64 is the only piece separating the crosshead from the WGC. There should also be a hold-down at 3 o'clock keeping the WGC from sliding up. A 1/16" spacing sounds about right.

If yours is NOT resting down as it should, then I have to assume the left vertical support shaft is lose. And, if that's the case, then the right shaft must also be up. If the four interior Allenhead set-screws are even the slightest bit lose, then the shafts are not properly held in place.

I'd loosen up all four set-screw pairs (remove outers & loosen inners) holding the two shafts in place, and smartly smack each shaft's top at the 3/16" Button Head Cap Screws on the top toolhead to see if they move down at all. If they do, then seat them with gusto, and tighten-up the set-screw pairs accordingly.

The WGC cam bolt rests in the bottom of the milled groove in the left vertical post. It that post is UP, then the cam bolt resting at its lowest position will not be low enough as designed and cause WGC rotation problems. Hence, this could be the problem you are experiencing.

I have often seen small white nylon "punched" plastic hole (not whole) pieces riding in the above groove causing problems. These came from incorrect insertion of the WGC cam screw as mentioned in my earlier response.

I've seen shot, powder and both mixed with grease to really gum up the works in that groove.

Whiz White

15. whiz white

Another response: It #73 is riding too low, I'm wondering why. It simply fits into the cast groove. Inspect #73, AND make sure you are NOT seating it up against the coil spring.

I have seen several times #73 is worn or broken, and part of the coil will slip down between the #73 washer and #71, which causes a binding action, that really inhibits the aluminum #71 from popping back up.

Make sure that #67 (which I see was not been numbered-but is now) is not cross-threaded into #71. Have seen that several time too.

WW

16. esoxhunter

I'd like to thank Jerry and Whiz for all their input. I tried about everything and understand I haven't the knowledge or the tools to attempt to solve the problem. I now must decide if I just "set it aside" and purchase another loader or fix this one. It's just hard to stick approximately $300 to include parts, labor and shipping (both ways). I only paid $300 for it 6 years ago. (Bought it used) Realistically I am considering purchasing a Hornady 366. I had one years ago and it seemed to treat me alright and seemed a little simpler to troubleshoot problems compared to the P/W. Thanks again. Ed

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- The problem will be very easy to fix once you figure out what is wrong, but that can be frustrating. If all of us could talk the PW language as Whiz can, fixing the presses would be simple. A couple of years ago I took my old PW to Silver Dollar and told Jim C. to either fix it or take it for parts and sell me a new PW 2000. Jim did fix the machine and after that he said I could pay him $85 and take the old PW home or he would give me $200 trade in toward a new PW. I really like my new PW 2000.

Pat Ireland

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ed, I measured the distance from the crosshead to the wad carrier where #73 is located. It's 2 27/32". Can you measure that? The hulls rests on the crosshead as they slide from station to station. Are you sure there is nothing stuck on the crosshead under the wad station?

Did this problem only start after you changed the wad fingers?

Hang on Ed, no one starts out with knowledge, they aquire it. That's what you'll do after you figure this out. I'd follow up on Whiz's idea about checking the vertical posts. If they are loose the machine could be out of square. But if that were the case the machine probably wouldn't work properly at the other station either. does it?

19. esoxhunter

Jerry: The distance on mine seems to be 2 13/16, which would be about 1/32 less clearance than you have. However, just that little bit would be enough to allow clearance. When I place a shim under the wad assembly; it raises it enough and works good. #73 is flush and does not protrude below the wad finger housing. I note no looseness anywhere and have completely cleaned the entire press, to include underneath the turret. I really didn't note any problem such as this until I replaced the wad fingers. As stated I can't justify spending a lot of money on it as I only paid $300 for it to begin with. I might use it as a backup and buy me another press. Thanks for the input. It's appreciated. That's what this site is all about. Ed

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ed, There should be about 3/16" clearance between the top of the hull and the wad guide housing, 1/32 is negligable.

Are you using 3" hulls by any chance? :)

If the shim makes it work, you're back in business. Sooner or later you'll see the problem. Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wad to hull clearance