1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W EZ-Fill Owners - Machined Aluminum Base

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeeljc, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I noticed Whiz White's great idea of how to overcome the problems (warpage) with the plastic base for the P/W EZ-Fill Hopper. If you cannot find an 800 style base plate to modify here is another solution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made one for myself and it works great! It has the same square o-ring seal and thrust screws for the rack that are on the P/W EZ-Fill Base.

I have enough material (6061 Aluminum) to make a few more if there is any interest. The cost would be $50 plus actual shipping.

email for more information: skeeljc@verizon.net

Jim Skeel

2. skeeljc

I guess I don't know how to post photos. Let's try again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim Skeel

3. skeeljc

John,

If the P/W EZ-Fill fits the 800+ then my alumunum base will fit. The P/W website says the EZ-Fill "adapts to all Ponsness/Warren progressive machines."

Please note that you need to own an EZ-Fill hopper because my aluminum base DOES NOT INCLUDE the plastic powder/shot reservoir.

I omitted the bushing access ports because it adds to the rigidity and I am trying to keep the cost down. If you need to change a bushing it is probably time to drain the reservoirs and clean out around the gears.

Jim Skeel

4. skeeljc

5. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

How much?

Dale,

6. skeeljc

Dale,

Selling them for $50.00 plus actual shipping.

Jim Skeel

7. skeeljc

8. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

I bought one of these. First class in every way. I'm very satisfied.
    Dan King

9. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Jim,
    Sent you an email.
    Sonny Daniels

10. Tom Williams

Tom Williams TS Member

I purchased 1 of these bases and am highly satisfied with it. Jim was great to deal with and produces a quality product.

Tom Williams

11. thunder

thunder Active Member

Has anyone reloaded with a fine powder like PB. Do you get any powder seepage like with the plastic housing. My plastic housing will lockup the powder on/off disc. If it doesn't I'm going to buy one.

Thanks,
    Andy

12. skeeljc

Andy,

The powder leakage that locks up the on/off/drain plate probably comes from between the powder bushing and the on/off/drain plate. The seal on the powder riser puts pressure on the gear and powder bushing so that they remain in close contact with the on/off/drain plate and seal properly. The surfaces of the on/off/drain plate and the surfaces of the plastic gear need to be smooth and free of gouges to seal effectively. If the plastic gear for the powder has damage to the top surface it should be replaced.

I have been using one of my machined aluminum bases to reload .410's with Winchester 295. W296 in a very fine ball powder. I have not had any problem with powder leakage.

Jim Skeel

13. skeeljc

I do not have any more machined aluminum bases to sell but I have acquired a few of the older P/W cast aluminum bases which I have modified by installing new risers. These will function just as effectively as my machined base because they do not deflect and they have the square o-ring seal for the powder.

<a href="http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/skeeljc/?action=view¤t=ModBaseTopH0001.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/skeeljc/?action=view¤t=ModBaseBtmH0002.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

$35.00 if you provide the P/W aluminum base.

$50.00 if I have P/W aluminum base to sell.

Email to order.

Jim Skeel

14. skeeljc

15. skeeljc

16. skeeljc

17. skeeljc

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'll retrofit YOUR base for $35 and $4.00 shipping. This include those with the Bushing Access Holes so you can continue to use this feature.

My banner pops-up over at the upper right on this site, and you can click on it for my address.

Turn around time is a 1-2 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whiz White

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Frank: Yes, I'm modofying quite a few.

The problem many of the reloadering guys are experiencing is a warping of the balck plastic base. They see this with fine powder migration. It does not always happen and I have to think the main cause is too tight of friction screws on the Rack Gear.

I have asked the fctory to bring out the aluminum version, but I doubt this will take place.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

20. skeeljc

I have sold seven of the bases that I made from scratch. Too many hours of machining time for $50.00. Some of my customers that bought the machined base sent me their old P/W cast aluminum bases. These are what I have for sale now.

Often the plastic base does not remain flat. It may be from the weight of the shot of possibly from over tightening the screws that put pressure on the rack gear.

The powder seal needs to have some pressure on it to seal properly. Otherwise it will leak powder. The amount of compression on the seal is critical. Too much compression will cause excessive friction and increase the operating effort of the reloader. Too little compression and it will leak. The square o-ring seal (the one I use) does a better job of sealing than the round o-ring seal the P/W used on the older cast aluminum base.

jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.