1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Elite 950 Reloader?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dward, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dward

dward Member

I've owned an 800b which is similar to the new "Plus" model, a 950 and a 2000 (same as 900) with full length dies. I prefer the center shaft on the 950 and 2000 over the new plus design, but it is personal preference. The loaders are all similar enough that it really boils down to short dies versus long dies. If I had to load by hand I would prefer the 950s shorter dies. As I have a hydraulic unit I prefer the longer dies. Either way, if the loader is well taken care of, and adjusted properly, it will serve you well.

As PW is now selling new "blemished" units for $599, I can't see where a used one would be worth more than about $400.

Big Dan

2. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

I have used one with the PW hydraulic system for over 10 years and have no complaints of any kind. I upgraded it with the E-Z Fill hoppers with the bushing access which are a large capacity setup and that compliments the hydraulic system.

Not sure of the resale market value, but I would think it would easily be worth $400.00 in the condition you describe. Anything less would be a bargin.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Probably one of PW's biggest errors. Should be changed over to the longer dies for better function. Spend the extra bucks and buy an 800 Plus. You won't be sorry!!

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I had a 950E for 15 years and updated it with the longer dies, new shot and poder bushing system, etc. It worked VERY well and produced outstanding shells.
    I traded it in for a new 850Plus and had nothing but trouble and returned it for the Platinum 2000. P/W makes a good product but needs to take more care with its suppliers and the quality of parts that they are providing. Fred

5. dward

dward Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say any reloader can operate perfectly and crank out great shells if set up and operated properly. I'm sure there are situations where there are defective parts on a given loader and it takes a little "mechanical dexterity" to recognize and correct the problem. PW loaders are built like tanks and all three I have had worked perfectly when set up right. The 800b I reloaded on had a problem with the pre crimper that made loading on it miserable until I recognized the problem and replaced it with a new one.

In short the new 800 plus is a preferred unit if you want to change gauges. My experience with the short versus long dies is that they both work great. The short die units have less resistance when pushing the shell out at the last station. Thus my belief that the shorter dies are easier to operate by hand.

If I had to buy another reloader I would get exactly what I have. So if it's in good condition I wouldn't hesitate to get a used 950 if I didn't plan to get hydraulics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

950 elite shot shell reloader

adjusting the crimper on 950 elite