1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W electric drive, hand control or foot pedal??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Randy P, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy P

Randy P Member

Adding the electric drive to my P/W. Looking for pros and cons of the hand switch verses the foot pedal.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hand vs foot control. I chose the joystick control because I stand while loading. I may have to rethink my position because I now realize that my standing position gave me leverage on the operating handle. Now with the Auto-Drive I do not need the leverage.

Joystick Control (what I have): You are able to reverse direction instantly. It keeps one hand away from the reloader when it is cycling. I set the black box up so that I push the joystick forward away from me to cycle the loader in the normal forward direction.

Foot Control: Seems like you can grab components (hull and wad) while the press is cycling. The problem I see with this is you must manually stop the loader at each end of the cycle to insert the hull and wad. Unless you are good at concentrating on two things at the same time (locating components and watching the loader cycle) you may not stop the loader at the correct point. I try to avoid backing up unless it is absolutely necessary so that I do not double charge a hull. The foot control will only make the loader go in one direction. To reverse the direction you must move a toggle switch.

Jim Skeel

3. Randy P

Randy P Member

Reversing with the foot control was one of my questions. Also I received my aluminum base and counter and they work great, should have made the purchase sooner, thanks Jim.

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same question. I also am getting ready to purchase an electric drive. Defiantly a hard choice. I was also thinking if one got the foot peddle they could move the peddle to the table and run it by hand. We need someone that knows the ins ans outs of both of them.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Although, I'm not familar with the PW loaders, I do know someone who almost lost their thumb while reloading with Mec's old style hustler with the foot pedal system!!! I think Mec has it right it takes both hands to push both buttons to get their electric system to work. But then, I prefer quality over quantity in most things I do. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Randy P

Randy P Member

Goose2, just with the couple of answers I'm leaning toward the Hand control. Mike P which one are you using?

7. skeeljc

Here is my setup. I located the joystick control in the path that my right hand takes from the shell insertion station to the empty hull bin. When the platen is at the top I pick up an empty hull with my right hand I also pick up a wad with my left hand. Then I push the joystick forward until the platen is at the bottom, stop and set the wad in the wad guide and push the joystick forward until the platen is at the top again.

One other thought. The foot pedal might be o.k if you are seated but it will probably cause you to stand on one foot if you load in the standing position.

[​IMG]

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Seems to me that to safely use the foot control model, you'd have to be the type of person that can rub his belly, pat his head, and tap his foot to polka music - all at the same time!

I can't chew gum and walk at the same time anymore, so I get a vision of mashed fingers just thinking about the foot pedal model...

Kiv

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Boy, Randy, I'm glad you asked. The foot pedal scares the daylights out of me. If you happened to get a finger between a tool and the die, and the machine cycles, I guarantee you will lose it! I punched a perfect hole in my weighing pan while sticking the pan under the powder drop tube to weigh a charge. Why don't you visit my shop and test it for yourself, Randy.

10. Randy P

Randy P Member

Mike, I'm going to take you up on that, I'll be getting in contact with you...Thanks.

11. skeeljc

You definitely need to be very conscious of where your fingers are when you cycle the loader. If you were to get your hand between the operating arm and the stop pad it would be crushed. When the arm on the Auto-Drive is in line with the rod that operates the loader (when the platen is at the top and at the bottom) the force multiplication is almost infinite! That is why I like the joystick on the right side.

Jim Skeel

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I knew a Doctor who deprimed his thumb with the PW hydraulic. He was highly embarrassed when he got to the emergency room and was treated by a former student of his. The leverage those arms develop is tremendous and unforgiving. They don't care if they're crushing the hull or your hand, no difference to the machine. Good luck, Bob

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I used a Mec hydraulic for about ten years w/o incident. I don't know how the electric unit is controlled with the pedal method but my mec stopped and reversed as soon as you reeleased the pedal. If you were pinching or crushing something you just released the pedal and you were back to the start of the cycle no matter where you were in the process. JRM

14. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have a pw + hull feeder and the spolar hyd unit with a foot switch. I only have to place the wad. I don't have a reason to get my fingers where they might get crushed. When you let up on the switch the unit stops. Sitting is much more comfortable while reloading several hundred shells.
    I think having a steady pace and not trying to break a speed record will keep your fingers intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.