1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W auto drive question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I am going to get a electric dive for my 800+ P/W. The question is, hand control or foot control. Seems like the foot control would be faster, because you can load hulls and wads faster, but any problems with controling the machine with your foot? Any input would be appreciated.

2. wivanr

wivanr Member

Headhunter, The foot control is not any faster, there is still a secondary switch on the control box that has to be pushed. I think the hand control works the best for shotshell reloading, since your hand has to be there anyway. Just one less thing to think about. Wayne

3. headhunter

I thought the hand switch with the foot controller was just to reverse direction..?

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Wayne's the go to guy, straight from the factory, headhunter, he knows what he's talking about. With the hand toggle you have your (very valuable) fingers operating the toggle and not fumbling around inside (over or under) the tool shelf where you could injure yourself. I punched a perfect hole in my weighing pan once, and it got my attention, big time.

That said, you'll appreciate the convenience and speed you gain with the 'lectric drive: think a flat of shells in 30 min. Never mind it beats the hell out of pulling tits.

best...mike

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I prefer the joystick control. I load a lot of .410's and the joystick control lets me stop, back up very slightly, straighten a wad petal, and continue loading (all with one control). To do this with the foot control you need to first change a switch on the black box to reverse the direction, back up with the foot control, change the switch on the black box back to forward to continue loading.

This is not as big an issue with the larger gauges.

The joystick lets you load standing or sitting.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer

6. headhunter

Got it, Thanks. Joystick it is. and they are cheaper with the joystick too..

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I struggled with this initially also...being a hydraulic user also. But I like the joystick idea, and could not be happier I went joystick. You develop a rhythm with either I am sure, but the joystick really has great control to it.

There is a safety button on the joystick control box that has to be defeated...excuse me, held down each time for the joystick to work.

8. headhunter

Can you bypass the safety switch?

9. headhunter

Can you bypass the safety switch?

10. paul7177

paul7177 Member

The switch can easily be bypassed if one decides that it is the way they want to operate the drive.

The switch is there to satisfy OSHA.

11. headhunter

ok thanks. seems like a good idea but probably not very practical

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

Thats strange mine only has an on off switch on the control box and the toggle. You turn it on and load shells and since the unit has a 360 degree drive you don't have to go back and forth with the toggle. One direction let go to stop at top then same direction let go to stop at bottom. The foot switch should operate the same way you should not need to switch at the box unless you need to change direction at mid stroke as Jim said.

--- Chip King ---

13. Border Bandit

Mine is one of the very first ones, and came without "gumment" doo-dads to save me from myself. In fact, until now, I never knew OSHA gave a tinkers damn about such things, or made Wayne put one on the controller box; but should have known. Next they'll be worrying over us dumping gunpowder in them tubes already stuffed with the explosive primer thingeys. BTW, I got mine before buying the 800+ and had it on an 80's vintage 800B, it's already loaded ~30,000 shells without so much as a hiccup.

best...mike

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My best guess would be the insurance carrier forced the issue..mine is less than 1 year old and has the safety button. I went to Radio shack and a simple connector later, upgraded to the original non-button model. Just too hard on the side of the hand after a few hundred loads.

And Chip got it right, it goes one direction around and around. That was the feature I liked the best. Once adjusted properly, you can't "short stroke" the unit getting in a hurry like a hydraulic. Not as fast for sure, but I could care less about speed, only load for world class shells. I can load so much more than I can shoot it is not funny.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Actually, OSHA doesn't specify anything like that. I love it when an advertisement says "OSHA Certified." I was certified by the US Dept of Labor as an OSHA inspector back in the 70's, but I worked for Brown & Root, Houston, for our own internal safety. I did have a USDOL OSHA inspector tell me I was attempting to bribe him at an Enid, OK paper plant when I offered to buy him lunch.

I think I told him that if a lunch could buy him off, not sure what "off what" meant as there were no violations, then I didn't have much respect for him. We didn't do lunch together.

They (P/W) did it strictly for a liability issue as recommend by their attorney. The first foot-switch models did NOT have the mandatory button you had to press and anyone with some sense could easily defeat that button... "I've been told."

WW

16. wivanr

wivanr Member

So there you go headhunter, call WHIZ and put one on order. and I'll build it.

17. headhunter

ordered yesterday. Thanks.

18. Border Bandit

BTW, just so you know, the 'lectric drive will run round & round, both ways. I don't know about how the Spolar setup works; but in the case of the P/W, run it COUNTER CLOCKWISE. There's an issue with the powder & shot rack that drives the bushing carriers, and counter clockwise runs it smoothest, and although it works if you run it both ways, you'll have to trust me on this.

best...mike

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Mike is correct. CCW direction is the smoothest. There are differences in the linkeage as to the leverage between the Auto-Drive and the loader. Operating in the CCW direction the leverage is greater just as the shell is being ejected. Also the speed during indexing is slower in the CCW direction.

All of the above make for smoother operation.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer

20. Border Bandit

Now I'm forced to admit that it was Jim Skeel who alerted me to this "trick"; although I had already learned my lesson(s) ...every damned one of them...one at a time....grin. Thanks Jim..

best...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.