1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P&W Auto-Drive On Spolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by drywall 53, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drywall 53

drywall 53 TS Member

As reported I ordered a P&W Auto-Drive from Whiz which was mounted on a Spolar, I said I would give a review upon its arrival. So here we go.

First dealing with Whiz was a pleasure got all the info needed and made the choice to purchase toggle switch model. Auto-Drive arrived, and after reading instructions had it running in about an hour. The only adjustment needed was to tighten slip clutch a little.

I had loaded on a Mec Hydraulic for years, and I can say the Auto-Drive system beats the hydraulic drive in every way imho. It is almost noisless, but the thing I like best is when you release the toggle the machine stops instantly, allowing you to make an adjustment if needed, ie canted primer normally the only problem I've had with the Spolar. With the hydraulic system if you release the pedal the cylinder goes back to neutral. Also the slip clutch will allow the machine to stop if something jams and it stays where it stopped. If you have a jam with the hydraulic system believe me you can break something.

Some say the Auto-Drive is slow but, speed in not a issue, once you get a rythem, I can load as fast as I feel comfortable. Have loaded about 1000 reloads so far without incident, and in my opinion the Spolar, Auto-Drive combination will be hard to beat.

If anyone has any questions about this combination feel free to call me.

Dale Knight

843 672 2455 cell

2. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Never loaded on a Mec with a hydraulic system but I have loaded on a Spolar with hydraulics for several years. The Spolar hydro system stops and stays put when you release the pedal, it does not move to a netural position, also if you have a jam the pressure bypass is set so it will not damage anything on the machine. I had a coin in an empty hull and it stopped the machine but did not damage the de-primer pin or the machine, pulled the coin out and went on with reloading.

Sounds like the Mec Hydro system operates differently than the Spolar Hydro system. the only real thing they have in common is they are both hydraulic.

I have never used an electric drive system so I have no opinon on them but I think this should be compaired to a Spolar Hydraulic system (by someone who has experiance with one) not a Mec hydraulic system to get a real compairson.

Jack

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I've had and used both and I much prefer the Auto-drive. The Spolar Hydraulic is a great unit but it is hydraulic with the typical noise, heat, potential leaks and ability to break things by brute force if you don't get off the switch. The Auto-drive has none of these problems. I can complete 400 shells and the motor is only warm to the touch. And with the auto drive the noisiest thing in the loading process is the primer/powder vibrator. It may be a little slower than the hydraulic unit but I never figured loading quality ammo was a race.

--- Chip King ---

4. STOS

STOS Member

If speed was a concern we could build one that could go anywhere from 600rph to 1500rph.They come standard at 900rph which is what we recommend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.