1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W auto drive on Spolar?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Anyone using this set up? How do you like it? Thanks, Bill

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

YES I love it. Setup took about 20 minutes and I have NEVER had to make any readjustments or changes in ~45 thousand loads. The Auto drive does not increase the footprint for your Spolar except where you place the hand toggle box (if you use it instead of the foot pedal)and it only raises your unit by 1/4 inch and then everything bolts to the table. In my personal opinion this is the BEST Spolar drive attachment bar none and I have used every other one made.(both P/W and Spolar Hydraulics and the original Automate II)

--- Chip King ---

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chip- just curious what you paid for it?

What does Spolar think of it someone asked? anyone know?

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Gene I gave $850 at the time and it was the first production Spolar unit serial number SP001. I had a conversation with Dicksie about using the Automate II and she was adament "don't do it" Having watched 90 plus pounds of P/W 900 and Automate flex and dance around on a loading bench I can understand her feelings about that combo. Never spoke to them about the Auto-drive but since it is as solid a mount as the hydraulic and less pressure on the loader than the hydraulic at the same height as the hydraulic the only reason I can see for them not to recommend it is that they didn't make it. AND since I like them and their loader a lot I don't see the need to put them in that position.

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I would be curious if anyone besides chipking is using that setup? What I like about the P/W drive is the continuous motion, so once setup it would make a full cycle (can't short stroke it like hydraulic), and it has a clutch mechanism that I would think one could adjust so if you did something stupid it would only hurt a lot, not remove body parts. So far I can still count to 10, which is not a bad thing.

I used Automate from Jim Benn on a P/W 800+, and it was OK. I did not like it as much as hydraulic, but the P/W unit is much different and certainly looks beefier....if that is a word.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Auto-Drive with the joystick control for the Spolar is $849.95 plus $35 shipping.

The foot pedal version is $895.95 plus $35 shipping.

Jim Skeel P/W Dealer/Distributor

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

For years P/W threatened anyone that used a spolar hyd unit on their machines that irreversible damage would occur. I have used the pw with spolar hydralic unit for 10 years without a problem.
    I would happily buy a spolar if they had a hull feeder.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have heard that using the PW Electric drive on a Spolar will void the warranty.

I have the Electric drive on a 800+ and the Spolar hydraulic on the Spolar.

My preference is the PW Electric Drive but I like the Spolar reloader as a superior machine.

Whiz has indicated PW is going to surprise us soon. If I was in the market for a new machine, I would wait to see what PW has up their sleeve.

Don Verna

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Don I guess anythings possible but they would be hard pressed in court to prove that that unit or even the PW hydraulic could cause damage that their hydraulic wouldn't. Like you I think the PW Auto-Drive is superior to the Spolar hydraulic or the PW hydraulic for that matter. AND mated to the Spolar loader it makes a FANTASTIC combo. As much of a gadget whore as I am I don't see me trying to improve on what I have now. Unless P/W creates one that materializes it's own components and loads by voice commands. I can hear it now "Loader 1oz hard 8s 1180 fps quantity 1000 begin" Now that would make me all tingly.

--- Chip King ---

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am with Chipking, need the synch voice control from Ford. Loader/1 oz/clays/1175 fps/DR xl-1 please......quantity, 1000. Oh, and don't forget to check them over and box them up too!!!

I will wait on the P/W new announcement to see what is up, but at this point believe the Spolar loader with the P/W electric drive would be the sweet deal.

Too bad as with many of us on this site, we all just can't get along. I can't see where the electric drive would anywhere near as stressful as hydraulic, and as I said above the full circular motion would seem to be much more fool proof.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

You guys make me feel like I am out of touch heck I got all Tingly over my shovel handles for my PW's I start every morning with a cup of coffee and 200 reloads and the news on NPR radio. As a tool guy I like my 800B better than my 900 it is the click/bang noise and seems more mechanical in functioning. I told my wife that the only reason I shoot is I like to reload truth is I like to be able to custom make shells I shoot light loads in break open guns and heavier loads for autos for sporting.
    Buddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.