1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W Auto-Drive Electric System

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How many have the P/W Auto-Drive Electric System?

Would you buy it again?

Have you had any problems with it?

Jim Skeel

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I do

ABSOLUTELY

ZERO problems 40+ thousand loads using Serial number SP001 on my Spolar. This is the best drive system going bar none period. And I have owned and used every one on the market.

--- Chip King ---

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I am hoping the good genie will drop one of them on my front door step. That is my next big investment. I just can't swing it this close to Christmas.
    I really wish someone would sale me a used one.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Does this cause any additional wear on the machine? Anyone have a video of one in action?

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jim. When I win the grand this year, I am buying one fo rsure.

6. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

I purchased mine this year at the Grand from Gamaliel's and I love it. This drive really works slick. Being these are fairly new I think you would be hard pressed to find a used one right now. Rich219 I think there is a video on PW's web sight.

Happy New Year to all.

John

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A friend has one on a Dillon Super 1050 and likes it. He is an accomplished machinist and had to do a lot of work to get it set up.

8. skeeljc

I just received my Auto-Drive. Easy to set up. Works great!

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

skeeljc
    Thanks for those pics..... I am buying one soon.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jim. Where's your "counter"?

11. skeeljc

The shell catcher is a piece of 2" pvc. It is a 45 degree street elbow. I had to grind away some of the base on the Auto-Drive to clear it. If I were doing it again I would move the hole in the bench back another 1/4" so that it would clear the cutout in the Auto-Drive base plate.

Jim Skeel

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jim, I bought one last spring and am thrilled with it. Zero problems and smooth trouble free operation. Not counting time to load the primer tray/powder/shot hoppers & box the shells, I can load 10 rounds a minute, or 100 in 10 minutes, then stop and catch up on aforementioned chores. It's a terrific accessory, and highly recommended. best wishes...mike

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What is the pros and cons of the hand switch or the foot peddle. I am getting ready to order up and I was wondering wich one is the best way to go.

14. skeeljc

Hand vs foot control. I chose the joystick control because I stand while loading. I may have to rethink my position because I now realize that my standing position gave me leverage on the operating handle. Now with the Auto-Drive I do not need the leverage.

Joystick Control (what I have): You are able to reverse direction instantly. It keeps one hand away from the reloader when it is cycling. I set the black box up so that I push the joystick forward away from me to cycle the loader in the normal forward direction.

Foot Control: Seems like you can grab components (hull and wad) while the press is cycling. The problem I see with this is you must manually stop the loader at each end of the cycle to insert the hull and wad. Unless you are good at concentrating on two things at the same time (locating components and watching the loader cycle) you may not stop the loader at the correct point. I try to avoid backing up unless it is absolutely necessary so that I do not double charge a hull. The foot control will only make the loader go in one direction. To reverse the direction you must move a toggle switch.

15. skeeljc

When I first got mine set up I wondered how I would be able to clear jams. When loading manually and encountering a badly deformed crimp where the plastic was mushroomed out over the sizing die I was not able to eject the shell at the last station. At that point I usually used my special tool that I put on top of the deformed shell and then I could push it out with the press. Now with the Auto-Drive it will just push the deformed shell right out! Sometimes the shot will spill out with the damaged shell. I am not convinced that this is not going to damage the loader but so far everything is o.k. I may need to readjust the slip clutch to keep from damaging something. I did not receive any instructions on adjustng the slip clutch so I called P/W. They advised me to back off the two adjustment screws and then tighten them a little at a time until the loader cycled empty. Then try loading shells and continue to tighten the two screws to get the machine to cycle. Tthe two screws on my Auto-Drive must be LocTited in place as they do not want to turn. I will wait for the new instructions before attempting any adjustment to the slip clutch.

Jim Skeel

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jim, that's a beautiful setup. Something you might consider though, is conversion to the removable die system. It's great.

17. skeeljc

Mike, Whiz is not high on the Grivory system because he says it does not hold the shell holders as tightly as the aluminum plate does. I load a lot of 28 gauge and .410 gauge so keeping the shell properly alligned is important.

Also my 900 is an older unit (sn 15xx) and I don't think the die removal system can be retrofitted to it.

Jim Skeel

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's a simple ejection chute...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whiz

19. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

Hey Whiz, I'll have to try that pvc shute. Before I got my electric drive I had hole in bench top and built a simple open end box out of 1x4's to stop and drop shells down bench hole. I bought a toilet flange with a built in 45 degree elbow that swivels. Screwed it from the bottom side to the bottom side of bench top than run a length of 3" pvc pipe with 2 45 degree elbows at lower end to my container sitting next to me as I load. When I got the electric drive was able to center base over hole. Blocked the backside of chanel in electric drive wih a scrap pice of 2x4 for a back stop. This was working ok with an occasional shell missing shute of drive. I placed a folded shop towel (cloth) between the shaft and backside of shute on loader which helped the problem with shell missing shute. Thanks for posting.

I use the toggle model and like it very much. This is my first drive system of any kind so I can't speek for foot pedal system. How ever I have got to the point where I stop, I pick up hull and wad, place hull on pedestal, push toggel and as wad guide swings back place wad in it and don't stop until it press reaches top of cycle when it is time for next hull. Yes, this is a great system for a supper press and would definitively buy again.

John

20. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Has anybody encountered any problems with the Auto-Drive when reloading steel based shells? I notice that it takes a little more muscle to seat the an empty steel based shell than one with a brass base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.