1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W at the Grand? YES!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Cunningham, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

P/W and I just finalized our deal for me to Rep. them at the Grand. I will have 800+ & P2000 machines, the new Auto Drive for both P/W machines and the Spolar loader. All the accessories and a full line of parts. I will be doing some repairs limited only by time and energy, so bring them over ASAP. I won't have any added security for machines left with me so check back frequently. I plan to be there by the first day ready to go. I don't know what site I will be in, I'll let you know as soon as I do.
    Hope to see you there.
    Jim Cunningham

2. 5shot

5shot TS Member

Jim,

It's good to hear that you will be there!

Bill C.

3. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Jim,
    Call P-W and ask them to put a foot switch on the Auto Drive. Why they have on on the hydros and not the Electros is beyond my thinking.

Thanks and Respectfully

WesleyB

5. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

Wesley, I called P/W and asked your question. It seems they are working on a possible foot switch now. So far they haven't figured it out; something to do with the slip clutch, and say that it doesn't look good. Jean also tells me that they had a lot of requests for a table top switch for the Hyd. unit. I guess you can't please everone all the time.

Jim Cunningham

6. len loma

len loma TS Member

Jim what is the difference between the 950 Elite and 900? Is the P2000 a 900 machine? Thank you very much.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim for calling. I am sure they will work it out, and true you cant please everyone.

Thanks again for calling.

WesleyB

8. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

All of the 900 series were "Elite" 900 or 950. The difference is that the 900 uses resizing dies and the 950 uses the short "Shell holders" and resizes at the primer knockout. The final crimp and final knockout are also different to facilitate the use of the shell holders.
    The 950 was a mistake by P/W and shortly after the 2000 came out they admitted it and stoped building that version.
    Jim Cunningham

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

I see PW offers a kit to make the 900 into an Elite 950. Were they trying to do what Mec does on 9000G in re-sizing at de-priming station? I purchased a use 950 but have not received it yet. I did talked to PW before purchase the 950for thier thoughts. They didn't say anything bad about it but that it was discontinued. Nice people and said the purchase price was a good deal. I guess they might find it hard to admit the mistake. I own a Mec 9000G which is a good machine but wanting to upgrade. Load about 5000 shells annually. Never the less in your opionion will the 950 operate consistantly and be reliable? Do you sell hull feeder and how much? Thanks for your time Jim.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

more clay, I have a 2000 with shell holders. I have loaded 30 thousand + shells with no problems. I have heard it mentioned that the hulls can come loose from the shell holders and rattle around. I have never had any trouble with that. Even if they come loose the hulls rest on the cross head anyway and don't go anywhere. I like seeing what shape the hulls are in as they go around. I'm happy with it.

Jim, what was the reason for marketing the shell holders?
    I don't see any advantage of having the full length dies. From what I read here it doesn't keep the AA hulls from buckling. I don't have any trouble with that. I don't try to put any taper on the crimp though.

11. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

To answer both your questions, the 950 came about when the AA hull was first degraded. It no longer had the sidewall strength to hold up at the final crimp station and would crush/buckel and jam up at the KO station. The were fine in the older B machines with the full sidewall support but they couldn'n stand getting the taper that every one wanted. So the folks at P/W came up with a MEC type machine to give it full sidewall support at the final crimp and maintain the taper the 950. In order to do that they went to the shell holder system, it was great for once or twice fired shells as they didn't need much resizing of the brass since riding in the shell holder the bottlm 1/4 inch of the brass does't get resized. However after that when the brass starts to stretch they can jam in the shell holder at the KO and make a mess. The once or twice fired shells were fine went through the machine easily but if you got to going to fast there was shell "Wobble" and occasionally the edge of the shell got caught by the leading edge of the final crimp and mashed. So a different rythem was needed, a slight hesitation at the top of the handle stroke after the cylinder had rotated to give the shells time to stabalize. That drove the guies like me nuts, we had learned our rythem on the older 800 machines and it was annoying to have that hesitation. It made the machine slower and slower was not what we were looking for.

Another problem was again due to the shell holders, with the older 800's you could pick up about any shell and reload it. It got full length resized and went through the machine great. The shell holders were never ment to be resizers, an over size shell going in one was/is likley to get stuck in them. The resizer at the primer KO has a tapered mouth and can't go to the bottom of the brass because the shell holder takes up the space. So the bottom of the brass; about 1/4 inch isn't resized. So shells found on the ground or multiply fired shells didn't go through the machine very well. I load a shell till it can't hold shot, so I couldn't use the 950.

I only bought two 950's for inventory in those days, after I tried it I couldn't recomend it whole heartedly so I couldn't sell them. It took me almost 4 years to move those two machines untill I could find the right people whose cercomstances made the 950 the machine they needed.

It's tru that a number of people bought the 950 and liked it fine, they developed the right rythem with the machine and acceped the limitations. Most of them had never used the older machines so they didn't know the difference. I believe that for somone used to a MEC and new to the P/W will get along fine with the 950. It will be an improvement over the MEC as it still has the P/W shot and powder delivery system, the best and most accurate in the business and will be faster than the MEC.

The auto shell feed works fine on the 950 and will speed up the process as its taking your hand off the handle that doubles your production time. I have them in stock at $325.00 plus shipping and will have them at the Grand. If you want to talk or order anything you can call me at 904 910-0245 or, See You at the Grand.

Jim Cunningham

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jim, thanks for taking the time with the detailed answer. I've learned not to use grossly oversized steel hulls of dubious origin. They do get stuck. But the hulls from my gun are never a problem and I load them till they are junk.
    I have a hull feeder and can load as fast as I can pull the handle and don't have a problem with "wobble", but then I try to be smooth not jerk the handle. Possibly that has something to do with the type of hull being loaded.

I didn't have anyone to tell me these things when I bought the machine. I think I selected it because it was stated that it took less force at the KO station and I was worried about possible arthritis. Perhaps the people at PW were slapping high 5's when I ordered the machine.

Jim was reading a book when I talked to him at the Grand last year so everyone keep him busy this year.

13. len loma

len loma TS Member

Thanks also Jim. The price was right for this 950 and I am sure it will work better then Mec I have been using. I have found a used feeder but will keep you in mine for parts if I need them. Shoot well

14. Jim Cunningham

Jim Cunningham TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.