1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W and Federal Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunt, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Having trouble getting a nice final crimp on my paper hulls. Im loading on a P/W 900. I do have a Mec that loads great paper hulls and I do use it,But I do like my P/W and I makes me mad that I cant use it. Its great on plastic.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

No I never have but will try it, thx

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why do you guys think Federal Papers are better than say STS's or any premium plastic shell. I've never reloaded paper hulls, and I was just wondering.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One important aspect with PW's is the need to eliminate the taper on the final crimp die. Find Federal 12S-4 wads and use those exclusively-they work.

Why do we shoot Federal papers-because we can. Still the mildest recoilling and best patterning cases for reloading out there. Best smelling too!!

5. multifired

multifired Member

Gunt, what do you mean you are not getting good final crimps? Are they dished, not completely closed, hole in the center, bulged? If you have a hole lower the crimp starter slightly until the hole disappears. If you are getting wrinkles do as olelliedowg suggests, back off the taper adjustment on the final crimp. Check your manual for the proper way to do this. I load Federal 12S3 wads for 1 1/8oz loads and 12S0 for 1oz loads. Tom

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

In use the pepr-crimp smooth pre-crimper head for all my relaods now after seeing it do a perfect job on BOTH the paper Federals and the plastics.

WW

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of examples of Federal papers and Winchester Super Targets loaded on my PW 800 + with PW's paper crimp starter.

I think I got both shots uploaded?

Surfer

8. dead on 4

Nope, Here's the Federal's

Surfer

9. dead on 4

I have the crimp depth a little deeper than I would if I were going reload them again, which I don't. I like the load tight, I shoot them once and toss them. A shallower crimp depth tightens up the center and closes the hole. The Super Targets are forty years old and can be a pain to deal with at times.

I'm satisfied with the results, particularly after seeing what other peoples reloads look like.

Surfer

10. grunt

The dies on my 900 prevent me from lowering the starter crimp, I also use the domer for papers,

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

This is not one of those post's that I imagine will send dozens of Federal Paper Hull reloaders to immediately "try it out", but I'm just throwing it out there as something that really works for me, and at some time you may want to try it. I like to contribute what I consider good ideas, as I've been helped from RKI's (reasonable knowledgeable individuals) from this site.

Before I load Fed Papers, I'll very lightly "mist" a little silicone spray on them. They go through all the MEC dies like butter, includeing the taper die. I used to get 2 reloads per hull before I started doing this. I now get 3 before it's time to say good bye. I believe it is because the dies "work" the case less, and the lack of friction causes less compression / elongation of the case.

Try it, it may work for you. Randy

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Old Federal papers much better than todays'. You ain't lyin'!!

13. grunt

Old hulls are thicker, More rolls of paper. New federal hulls are thinner.

14. dead on 4

The one's pictured are from '92 & '93. I won't pick up any of the newer ones.

Surfer

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Federal papers -- Ahh, I am addicted to the smell. I am lucky, I think that I have enough to last me the rest of my shooting life. All from the 70s'. I also salted away a few cases of Fed 12C1s'. I loaded a couple of hundred of the current production cases and had several paper tubes pull out of the brass (what a pain). Tossed them. I have an old case iron and use it religiously. If there are any pin holes, the case holds no vacuum or smokes out the holes, then I know to toss them. Fed 209A-18gr. Red dot-12C1-1 1/8 oz.7.5. 16s and doubles. Fed 209A-21.5gr- Green Dot-12C1-1 1/8 7.5s for caps. Fed 209A-22gr. Green Dot-12C1-1 1/8 nickle 7.5s or nickle #7 for games. Happy Holiday's----Bill Hom

16. grunt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal paper hull bulging crimp

hole in center of crimp paper federal

paper feds hole in center of crimp