1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P-W and eight petal wads...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by plux001, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plux001

plux001 Member

Looking to upgrade my reloader. Currently using a Mec 9000 and am leaning toward a P-W 800+. As I am watching videos, it appears on the P-W one places the wad base into a carrier that then swings it over to press it into the shell. It is different on the Mec in that you slip the "shot end" of the wad over a post, thus insuring no petals get folded over. I am wondering how the eight petal wads work on the various P-W machines. Problems with any of the petals getting "folded in"?

Thanks!

Paul

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

All machines that drop the shot at a different station than where the wad was seated are sensitive to folded wad shot cup petals. Running the wads through a clothes dryer for 10 minumtes or so in a mesh bag solves the problem but the MEC loader design is the most efficient.

Ed

3. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I find the only wads that you may not have this problem with are the stiched wads from remington.

Dave

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

There once was a four petal wad that could have been easily adapted (redesigned) to an eight petal design that would not have the problem. It was the FLAIR wad. Designed with the petals moulded with an outward angle that straightened when pushed down into the case. Seems no one wishes to reproduce the design. They were great for 16 yd shooting..off the shot almost at the muzzle.

Big Jack

5. plux001

plux001 Member

Answers I am getting are what I expected. I really like the way the Spolar 8 petal patterns. While I do not have a problem with it on my Mec, I do really have to pay attention. I have used the dryer trick before, but remain worried that I will deal with petal foldover, which I really don't want (duh). I also don't want to change my recipe. So let me ask this...if I do the dryer thing, can I really push the reloading pace without worry of 8-petal wad problems?

Thanks all-

Paul

6. elinvar

elinvar Member

I use the 8 petal Windjammer and Downrange wads on a PW 900- I have more problems with the DR than the WJ- just seems the petals stay more upright on the wj- still have to pay attention that you dont get one folded in once in a while.

TJ

7. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Had that problem with a 366, than a PW so i switched to a Dillon, NO more problems!!!

8. plux001

plux001 Member

I am moving from the Mec as I want higher production. I hate the thought of having to watch the wads for petal fold. I sense this will slow me down. What is everyone doing, just using a 4 petal?

Paul

9. citadel

citadel Active Member

If you want production spend $300 or so an get a PW shell feeder. I can do nearly 500 per hour by hand pulling and using a shell feeder on my PW 800+. If you,watch my you may find one on TS for about $250 or so used. They are a must have addition to reloading in a PW loader.
    Doug

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Been using Windjammer 8 petal wads on PW for over 20 years now. Also have a bunch of the Spolar wads. Never had a problem in all this time.
    As with any wad, as long as the wad fingers are in good shape you should be good to go.
    Wad fingers are cheap and they will break or expand with continued use.

Mike C.

11. plux001

plux001 Member

High hourly production is what I am looking for. Doug, your thoughts are noted.

Mike, what P-W machine are you using? Not sure I understand your comment about continued use of wad fingers. Am I to understand you have no issue with Spolar wads (which is what I use) ie, one of the petals folding in?

Paul

12. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I had a ton of problems with wad pedals folding on my P W using Wj wads. Poppers way more than I could stand. Switched to Mec 9000 problem solved. If the shot doesn't back fill the wad on the same station, you may run into the same problem. Good Luck

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Paul,
    Right now my PW is a 2000 Platinum. My other was a 800. I also have a Spolar
    with hydraulics that is slightly over 2 years old.
    No, I don't have any issues with Spolar 8 or 4 petal wads, nor with Windjammer
    1 1/8 or 1 oz wads. My PW being hand operated I guess I just take more time.
    Also on the Spolar the actual wad seater is a 20 gauge. You can also order one for
    a PW but I think it's fine just the way it is.
    I have heard people constantly complain about 8 petal wads, but since around
    1989 I've never had a problem. Both Windjammers and Spolar. And your'e right,
    they pattern great !
    What I meant about the wad fingers is this; as they get older either through time
    or the amount of rounds loaded, they tend to open up somewhat due to plastic
    fatigue. Or you might loose a couple of the fingers.
    Because the Spolar is so much faster, I've noticed that somewhere between 2500
    and 4000 rounds the wad fingers actually open up. This can lead to a slightly cocked wad and a slight bulge in the side wall of the case. More so in
    Gun Clubs. They might not want to chamber. Haven't had this in STS or AA's.
    So in my decades of reloading I have found that wad guides are really cheap.
    Used to use them until they were crap. Now I'll get 6 or 8 at a time and
    if they look questionable, throw the things out. It's a very small expense
    in our hobby, but a very important one. Good wad guides seat the wad straight
    and make each shell more consistent. Cheap insurance.
    I hope this answers your questions.
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Paul I used to worry about the petals foled in and the shot being dumped onto them in my PW . Some of the downrange XL1 wads dont come out of the bag open like a flower and some petals fold in but I dont want to run them thru the dryer even tho this works so I load em and shoot em and have not had any problems.I suppose if you wanted to pattern this folded load with a perfect load you may see a difference but as I said above its not worth my time. PJ

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use DR, WJ & fed wads on a P-2000 and have had almost no problems in 10 years. I just take them out of the bag, no dryer

16. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Plastic when it's molded has a memory. The fold overs can come from the wad coming out of the mold warm and pressure from others in the container. Also the way the wads are packaged can lead to folded wad pedals. Years ago Winchester AA wads came individually boxed with a quantity of 250 for this reason.

I reload on a PW 800+ with hydraulics and shell feeder. Full out I can run 16 shells a minute. I have the wads in a container in front of me with an empty clay target box off to the side. When I encounter a folded pedal I throw it in the target box. After I get enough in the box which is usually half a layer I get out my 1500 watt hair dryer and fluff the wads. It only takes 30 seconds for the wads to regain their memory and straighten out.

Michael

17. 3gunR

3gunR TS Member

I just got a new PW 800 Plus a couple of weeks ago. I had the same worries as you with the 8 petal wads.

Did the dryer trick. Inspected each and every one going into and out of the shot drop station. (dumped the shot out of each) I ran a bag of both the CB and DR Windjammers through it without a single folded petal.

I am now confident and absolutely convinced it is a non-issue.

I also inspected the crimps on many boxes of factory loads and on my Rem STS, Win AAHS and Fed Field and GM loads and in each case mine are much, much better and more consistent than factory crimps. I shoot an auto and having consistent tapered and folded crimps are important to me.

I bought mine from Jim Cunningham at www.jimsearneye.com. He was very patient answering all my pre-purchase questions and set it up for my favorite Win AAHS load. When switching to Rem and Fed hulls, only a minor adjustment was needed at the pre-crimp station. I use 3 dimes as a spacer above the pre-crimp Tru-start housing for Win AAHS hulls and 2 dimes spacer for Rem and Fed hulls.

PW is also giving away a $100 gift certificate to 800 Plus buyers from now till Dec 31. I used mine to purchase the Ergo Handle (very nice), some powder bushings and a few spare wad guides.

www.reloaders.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_13&products_id=6

I am totally pleased with my 800 Plus. No regrets. Two thumbs up for Jim Cunningham also.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

One of my loaders is an 800+. I use WJ wads by DR and have not had a problem.

I got a "buy" on two cases of Winchester AA wads and found out why. The wads had a lot of folded in petals. I had not experienced this before with AA's so I assume the batch was produced with insufficient cooling out of the mold or had been stored where heat/pressure affected them.

I do what Micheal does if I have a batch of bad wads. It is easy to throw the the bad ones into a box and heat them up in the dryer when you get a few hundred. It does not affect my production rate much if at all.

DR wads seem to have been the best for me. XL-1's and WJ clones. The Spolar wads are made by DR and look very good too.

Using a 20 ga drop tube is a good idea and gives a bit more "wiggle room".

Don Verna

19. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

I am also loading on an 800+ with electric drive. If I get a petal folded in I just fold it down on the outside and then put it in the wad guide. No problem.

20. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

3gunR,

AA+ to Jim Cunningham at www.jimsearneye.com. Jim has any PW parts you would need and is a great guy to deal with as is Whiz-White.

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.