1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P.W. aluminum plate(or aluminium as the Brits say)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

It all started quite innocently about 3 months ago when i was out tending to my garden when my neighbor stopped and invited me to go shoot trap ."Cheap fun" he said. "Sure", i replied, "what could possibly go wrong?". I didn't think it was so bad that i spent a couple grand for a decent gun recently, but then i asked my teen-age virgin bride if she would like to join us. She did, she shot and now a BT99 with her name on it is enroute.

In order to avoid spending my kid's entire inheritance, i thought it might be a good idea to reload. After reading 4,682 message threads on the subject, looks like the PW 800Plus gets the nod. I read a thread somewhere regarding the aluminum plate to replace the stock plastic one. it's only $50.00 if purchased at time of sale of the press, but is it an item that will be a true improvement or is it just window dressing? The friend i shoot with has the 800 and will be helping me set it up and walk me through the process.

I doubt that i will be reloading all that much, perhaps 800-1,000 per month. Sorry about all the questions, but that's the way us newbies are : )Thanks, you guys are great.....John B.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Get the plate but buy Jim Skeels - not the PW. It is worth the difference

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I will have some in shortly also billet machined and I am having them anodized in various colors. Also, ours can be used for steel and harder shot.

They'll be just a tad bit different, but well worth the wait. Will also include color-matching thumb screw sets, and priced the same as the others.

WW

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My base does not come in colors but you will not be disappointed with the quality and the powder seal works with the fine grained powders which is why you need one.

The Website URL above will take you to the current thread on my base.

I have bases in stock. Email or PM me for payment information.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030332.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030312.jpg

5. neofight

neofight TS Member

I don't wish to beat this to death, as i am sure it's been covered before, but what is the basic difference between PW's aluminum plate and those produced above? Are we talking about closer tolerances, a better grade of aluminum, better sealing? I tend to go for function over form and simply want the best for my hard-earned buck.

This is turning out to be quite the learning experience. I just wish i had more years ahead of me than behind me to enjoy all this : )Thanks again. John B.

6. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Big difference! The PW Al base appears to be investment cast with lattice-like voids on the under side (based on the photos I've seen), not precision machined billet material that Jim uses, which is much more solid. The third nylon screw seems like good idea...I've added one to mine. Haven't seen the Whiz model yet.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The biggest reason most decide to replace the P/W plastic base is to eliminate powder leakage. I use a different seal design than P/W does. Mine works. P/W tried to copy my seal design in their aluminum base.

My base comes with three nylon set screws to better support the rack. The P/W base has only two. My risers are 1/4" higher so it is a little easier to get the bushings in and out.

Jim Skeel

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

This explains a lot. I'll just order the base unit and bushings and decide on the plate once i unpack it,read the destruction manual, fire it up and see how things work. Thanks again for your lightning-quick responses. John B.(not of the sloop)

9. STOS

STOS Member

P/W New aluminum top plate $59.95
    stos_2008_08103.jpg

10. STOS

STOS Member

Another photo.
    stos_2008_08105.jpg

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Get a Spolar - hydraulic - you'll never look back. Far superior to PW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.