1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W 800+ question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

What is the purpose of the two small nylon screws on the top plate of the PW 800 plus?

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

They apply down pressure on the rack that runs the gears for the powder and shot drops. With the rack mid way, so both ends are sticking out a little, and the throw lever without any pressure on the slide pin try to wiggle the rack up & down. You should tighten the two screws enough to take up MOST of the up/down play on the rack. If you don't when the rack is all the way forward, when you move the handle, in my case the electric drive, you'll get a "bump" when it tries to move the rack to the back. If it's too loose it can break the lever, or worse.

best...mike

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

They act as "buffers" on the gear rack that activates the S&P gears. Basically reduces twisting out of the rack that may be imparted on it by the upper actuating arm.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Be darn careful NOT to turn them down too much or you'll box the base of the black plastic EZ-Fill base.

I keep mine completely level with the black base, and do not seem to experience the Rack Gear twisting as mentioned above... although I know that on some machines there is a R/G twisting motion.

What I do do is keep the channel the R/G glides in clean, and kept kubricated with powder graphite.

WW

5. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks for the information. Geez, I like this forum!

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Geez, if you are using the original black plastic P/W base the two nylon screws basically do not do anything. This is because the plastic base cannot stand any pressure from the screws. If you adjust them down to support the rack the plastic base will just deflect and this will cause the powder seal to leak!

The best approach is to go to a metal base. I make a machined aluminum EZ-FILL base with THREE nylon screws to completely support the rack.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

skeeljc_2008_030312.jpg

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the two screws are too loose, the rack gear will ride up against the baseplate and chew up the bottom of it.

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot. I have one of the metal replacement ones. The other three guys who posted have ties to P/W and won't tell you the plastic base that comes with the machine is total junk; but I can. Get rid of that base and get one of the three available replacements. SW Supply, Jim Skeel, or factory. They all work well and are necessary replacements, it's just that there's a best priced one..wink, wink. In any case, all come with two or three nylon vertical slop adjustment screws. And, as Whiz pointed out, take out the slop; but don't over tighten 'em.

best...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.