1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W 800 Plus Small Ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

I have a P/W 800+ and it works great. I was considering buying the tooling heads for the 28 ga and 410. Does the 800+ work just as well for the small bore reloads? I know 410 can be a very challenging hull to reload. Any experiences you could share would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Matt Stockwell

2. 1oz

1oz Member

My personal experience has been good with the sub gauges as long as the hulls are in good condition . I purchased the 800 originally to just load the 410 later buying the 28 and 20 heads .

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

I load 28 and .410 on the 800+. Took some doing to get them dialed in- particularly the .410. but it runs like a swiss watch now.

I had Whiz turn a 12 gauge wad ram down to a diamater of about .490 IIRC for the 28 gauge. The machine liked to fold down wad petals at the shot drop station - the larger diameter wad ram forced the wad to lay in tight on the hull. I'd avoid using winchester wads however, use the claybuster instead.

On the .410 powder migration for small grain powder is the main issue. I bought an aluminum base for the ez-fil hopper and machined the grove for the o-ring a bit deeper. Then I used a nylon washer as a seal with the o-ring under it for compression. I also epoxied the powder bushing into the powder gear and flatened both surfaces of the gear/bushing with fine sandpaper on a piece of plate glass. My last loading session I loaded 1500 .410's with WC820 and had zero powder leakage.

I also counterbored the seating post and inset a small magnet so that the hull seats steady on the post. In that last session I had no hulls crunched on the hull seating operation.

John

4. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Skeezix: I just purchased some WC820 and I have been looking for a recipe. How many grains do you drop? and are you using Rem STS hulls? I was using 296 but just ran out and my buddy has a full jug of WC820. I was dropping 15.3 gr of 296 in an STS and using a yellow duster wad and had great shells.

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

My recipe is: fio 616 primers, 13 gr wc 820, rem sp 410 wads, AAHS hulls. I'm on my last 8# jug of the stuff, and will probably switch to w296/h110 when this runs out. The supply of this stuff is drying up, but it was great while it lasted.

I chronographed the load at something like 1250 fps, and was a close match to factory loads for speed through my chrono.

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.