1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W 800+ Owners

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gross Man, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

There are some concerns about the bristles getting in to the shells, so I use the swab. Billy

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

They both work fine. I like to use the swab sprayed with some CLP.

3. jclamp

jclamp TS Member

Swab with Slip 2000

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There's really no point to using a swab because it isn't long enough to come out the bottom and put lubricant where it's really needed...on the sizing lip at the bottom of the die. The sides of the hulls don't need lube.

A good brush won't shed bristles but there's really nothing to brush out of the dies anyway. Clean plastic hulls don't deposit anything in the dies and I don't put dirty hulls in my presses.

I stopped using both and just remove the dies from the turret every couple thousand shells and give them a cleaning with Ed's Red. Removing those obstructions gives me a clear view of the hulls as they enter the last 2 stations.

MK

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Have the brush on mine and never ever had any problems. No bristles, anything. The plastics on occasion deposit dirt, etc, if they've hit the ground with moisture etc.

I cleaned many a die on the lathe during rebuilds. I always wonder where in the hell all the crap came from in the dies.

The swab doesn't clean the die as the brush does in terms of knocking out dirt, potential rust, etc. The swab in OK for lube.

I've had a brush for 3 years and not one bristle.

WW

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a 10 ga bore brush of brass (or whatever they make those things out of) and I insert that into my Makita. then as I load I bring the handle down and let it stay down. Then I remove the empty die that is about to accept another empty hull. I scrub the die form both ends and blow it out. I then do that procedure for all the dies as I load. Pretty quick it is. I have one die marked with a magic marker to know which one I started with. I have not had to clean the dies since I started this program. And that is about 2 flats ago. How often will I do it? Prob when I think the hulls are beginning to hang up. couple thou maybe?

7. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Iuse the brush with a piece of goss wraped around it.the brush cleans it and the goss is soaked with triflon and never any problems.

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

I use a swab with an extension on it, and switch to a long brush now and then. I like Limpy's idea.

JT

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

"goss"... it he referring to "gauze" or something else I'm not familiar with?

MK

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A bronze chamber brush works really well. You do not need to leave it on the loader all the time. Just put it on when you notice the shells are getting hard to push out of the shell holder. Quicker than removing the shell holders for cleaning.

The brush that P/W provides is not big enough to really clean the shell holder.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.