1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W 800+ Mashing .410 hulls on 1st station

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Still getting used to my new toy, a PW 800+ for all 4 gauges. I bought it used, and have been getting everything to the right adjustment for my components.

First issue i've run across is the .410 hulls getting mangled on the first station, maybe 1 or 2 out of 20. A pain in the butt to pound the mangled hull out and try to pound a good hull in.

The P/W primer that whiz has suggests the following:

0.410 Bore – problems with hulls crushing at the hull seating station.
    · Countersink the hull seating post with a 3/8” drill so that slightly proud primers will not
    cause the hull to wobble.
    · Countersink the post again using a 5/16” drill and set in a 5/16” button magnet so that it
    is recessed into the post. This helps stop the wobble of the .410 hull.

Has anyone done this, and did it solve the problem? Anyone out there that can do this for me, as I don't currently own a lathe that I can do this on. Any other thoughts?

A side note. #12 o-rings appear to be the perfect substitute for the o-ring in the Ez-Fill hoppper. The original one is square, and doesn't really create a good seal, and I had lots of leakage w/ Hodgdon H110. Put the #12 o-ring in, and it appears to have solved the problem completely,,,and a 10 pak is only 2 bucks @ lowes. I'll be upgrading to the new powder gear that has the o-ring built in when I order parts for an extra measure of security, but this fix seems to have solved 99% of the problem.

2. skeet_man

I was thinking about that too, I had tried that a couple times, but I'm loading on a hydraulic, and am new to the who hydraulic deal, so i'm a little nervous getting my hands in a spot where they could get pinched...

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

You may check the timing of the tool head. I noticed mine was a tad bit off and it was starting to ware a little. I aligned it and all is well. You need to make sure the dies are centered in the tools when the dies go up.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

If Whiz says it will work, you can bank on it.

It sounds like a great solution.

Don Verna

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many years ago I did shoot a little skeet. It was fun shooting 410 skeet but reloading the things was nearly impossible for me. If things are not perfect, the tall thin things get smashed. Since that time I have quit skeet and quit trying to reload 410 hulls.

Pat Ireland

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have the button magnet mod on mine. Works like a champ, I have not mangled a .410 hull on the first station in a couple thousand rounds now.

You don't need a lath - all you need is a clamp and a small drill press.

You can get a card with several little magnets at the hardware store for a couple bucks.

flat bottomed holes would be nice- but I just used standard drills. drill dead center in the head of the seating post with the 3/8" bit deep enough so that the shoulder of the bit starts into the stem - 1/16th or so. This will make sure the skirt of the primer can't touch the seating stem if it is a bit proud. Then, measure the thickness of the magnet you bought and, presuming its 5/16 dia., drill the post deep enough with your 5/16th bit so that you can set the magnet in 1/16th or so below flush with the head of the post.

pretty easy to do, and it works like a champ. There is enough steel even in factory primers that the hull will sit soild on the post with no wobble at all.

John

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Another solution is to deprime the hulls before putting them on the P/W. I load lots of .410's with a P/W 900 and Auto Drive. I run all the hulls through a MEC Sizemaster to size them and remove the primer. It makes the P/W run much smoother without having to deprime. I never have a problem mashing hulls on station one!

Jim Skeel

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- I am very impressed with your ingenuity. Your fix is one that I have never encountered. It will not help me because I now only load trap shells, but I admire novel ways to fix problems.

Pat Ireland

9. skeet_man

Just did the magnet mod to the first station. BRILLIANT. My drill press is a little small, so I had to jerry rig it to drill the holes, and they weren't quite on center as they could have been (due to the jerry rigging), but I got everything in, and it works flawlessly. Got a 10 pack of magnets @ harbor freight for 2 bucks. One note, be very careful putting the magnets in. They are a friction fit. The first one I just thought I could tap in w/ a hammer. WRONG, it basically disintegrated. After I dug out the remnants, I tapped the new one in w/ a block of wood. Just got done loading 25 shells, and it worked perfectly. I think 99% of the problem was that the hull was still wobbling as the dies came down, and thats where the mash happened, but absolutely no wobbling w/ the magnet installed...

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ian, John has a lot of ingenuity, but that is a lot of work for a guy without tools. For one, you don't countersink a primer sized hole in the seating pad to keep the exposed primer from rocking the shell like one misinformed poster suggested. The seating pad is there for the purpose of seating an exposed primer. If an exposed primer is not seated on the pad, your loader will stall at or before the next station and creat a monumental problem. It can also rip the primer out of its pocket as it leaves the first station. Don't do it. Do what I have done for tens of thousands of .410 loads in my two 800B .410 loaders. Insert the shell into the sizing die. Never trust the seating pad to line up a .410 shell. It is just not going to happen 100 out of 100 times. This procedure should be in the instruction book.

11. skeet_man

All the primers i've come across have been seated flush to begin with (since everything before now has been loaded on a 9000g). What I did find with a couple hulls was that the firing pin hit caused a little bit of the primer metal to sit proud, making the shell sit cockeyed on the pad. The touch of countersink i put in should fix all of this (i think I ended up w/ maybe 50 thou of countersink when all was said and done, maybe not quite that much). Like I said in my last post, I think 99% of the problem was bringing the dies down while the hull was still settling, which is a non-issue thanks to the magnet. Worst case scenario, it probably isn't too expensive to replace the seating pad if I really had to....

12. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I sent my 410 station 1 pedestal to Whiz and he put the magnet in for me - works great. Billy

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I'll file that one away. It sounds like a great idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.