Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P/W 800 CVT .410 Crimp Problems????

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  whiz white 
#1 ·
After alot of machine work I am finally loading shells with the old 800c I just purchased.
I mainly use Dillon and the P/W is new to me, I am having problem getting a consitent crimp. The starter crimp station is not the same twice, the bearing is free and I have tried setting it up or down more with no luck.

Any Ideas? I hated to bug Whiz again.

Thanks Mike

#4 ·
You don't want very much pre-crimp on the .410 set it so that it just ever so slightly reforms the mouth of the case.

I slow down a bit also when loading .410 - if the indexing is even a little behind you will ruin your hulls at the wad seating station. Even if they don't catch the powder cup on the hull mouth, they will come in slightly offset and split the hull at the crimp folds.

The .410 is a bit of a bugger. Mine works well with relatively new hulls- I get a lot of mangled crimps when the cases have been shot a few times. I am going to try a case mouth conditioner to see if that helps (available from PW, it slides up on the depriming pin I think.) I think if the case mouth is generally nice and round they load better - if they get a bit out of round - I seem to have issues.

If you're loading a real fine ball powder - there are some things you need to do or you will have powder migration issues.

Also - be careful at the hull seating post - any wobble or if the base of the hull isn't dead flat - you will catch the hull mouth on the sizing die and ruin the hull. there are a couple fixes for this as well if you're interested.

John

#5 ·
John - I have had similar experiences with 410 hulls that have been shot twice or more. I would definitely recommend the Flare Tool that you described. It has helped me a lot. I had a problem with the new shot drop tube, that shrouds the outside of the hull. An out of round hull would catch an edge on the shroud and spill shot. The flare tool has minimized that. Billy

#6 ·
do you see any isues with hull life after using the flair tool?

I countersunk the hull seating post to a diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the outside rim of the primer- then I drilled a 5/16 hole centered in the countersink deep enough to inset a small but powerful magnet. it grabs the hull and holds it dead still - no more crunch at the hull seating station.

john

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.