1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W 800+- Broke Index pad in half?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Was just loading some 28ga shells on my 800 plus this afternoon. Got through almost a full hundred (maybe 3 shells shy), when something really strange happened. Everything was going along fine, then all of the sudden, I heard a huge bang on the upstroke. I shut the hydraulic down, took all the dies out, then I noticed that the index pad had snapped in half. Near as I can figure, the star gear wanted to turn to index the turret, but something prevented it from turning properly, and it just pulled right up through the pad (with i'm guessing a hell of a lot of force). I try to be as careful as I can running the hydraulic, stopping if the slightest thing is off, but this has me mystified. Everything in the star gear is clean and greased, so I'm very confused at this point.

I just ordered a new pad from P/W, and explained the situation to Bruce, who wasn't familiar with a problem like this. I even put all the dies back in, and rotated the turret back and forth by hand, and there is no binding whatsoever. Nothing else appears to be bent or broken, so hopefully just the new index pad will get me back in business.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

That sucks, what did the replacement part set you back?

3. skeet_man

didn't even think to ask, I kinda gotta have a new one, so price doesn't really matter too much LOL good thing I didn't really NEED any shells right now, although I guess I could always rotate the turret by hand if I had to

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I broke one of those pulling by hand, years ago. Something was out of time & I banged it down & broke the pad.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

P/W should know about this as I returned a brand new 800+ a few years ago with indexing problems. I stopped before it broke because it simply didn't work out of the box. Replaced it with a Platinum 2000 that had different issues.
    Good luck with servicing and dealing with P/W. Fred

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'm with Joe. It was so many years ago that I don't remember what caused it. That's the one thing I don't like about the hydraulics, there can be a problem and you'll never know. It has tremendous power and no feeling. I think I'd go back to the manual handle for a while to make sure it's running smooth. Good luck, Bob

7. skeet_man

I guess PW has a new design for the index plate, the one I ordered is the new design. Hopefully this solves my problem. Will report back when I get it installed and get my machine up and running again.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that.....got a new one from PW...but that was back in '92....had a clearence issue when cI re-assembled it so quit re-loading....too much trouble trying to deal with the problem across a border (I'm in Alberta)....never have put the press back together....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.