1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/U trucks & SUV's kaput?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

GM is closing 4 plants that make pickups & SUV's, They are thinking about dumping Hummer.--Its time to buy 2 or 3 of your favorite trucks. In 40 years they'll be worth a fortune to museums & or high end auctions. -----Phil

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I live in a rural area where it seems like everybody has a couple of heavy duty 4x4 pick ups. Well guess what, were all scrambling to get a decent Honda or Toyota sedan. The used car lots are full of late model trucks at very reasonable prices. It's almost comical to see a rancher roll into to town in his sub compact with a couple of cow dogs in the back seat.

3. atashooter

atashooter Member

Price of big trucks getting better. I'm in the process of looking for a 2500HD w/ Duramax. Had a lot of good offers on deals come my way.

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Supply and demand!. If GM stops making trucks, it will drive the price of all trucks up real fast. If you have a truck, in a year or two, it will be worth twice what it is now.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If your a farmer like me or a contractor, what are you gonna do?...load your stuff into a trailer and pull it behind your Honda Civic???....probably not! I reckon we're all going to be driving alot more diesels in the future than we ar now. We will still need the load capacity but with better mileage. I just got back from Europe where 70% of the road vehicles are diesels and gasoline is US$9.25/gallon!!

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

There could be a big negative ripple effect in the size or frequency of use of motor homes, pull behind trailers, boats and the like. On the other hand, tent camping may make a comeback.

I remember a comment made by a representative of a big economic consulting firm, Chase Econometrics, when I was in graduate school in 1980. The representative observed that the United States uses more petroleum products for outboard boat motors than the nation of India used for all purposes. He commented that someday India and other less developed countries would upgrade from pedal power and motor cycles to automobiles and that world oil prices would rise to over $50 per barrel (high in those days). He was correct.

He also commented that nuclear power would make a come back in spite of the Three Mile Island incident. He may be correct on this also.

One prediction that really intrigued me, he was a “staff futurist” by the way, was that space exploration would really expand in the 21st century. Specifically, he commented that we would build a base on the moon and use materials already on the moon to construct a space colony powered by solar energy. We would then go to other worlds in vehicles that were propelled by recoil of firing solar powered “rail guns” that could go anywhere and all that they needed to do for fuel was to collect iron from meteorites that would be fired from the solar powered electric rail guns.

Ed Ward

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the local paper is any indication, dealers are choking on huge inventories of F-150's and 2500's.

Meantime a Worn out Toyota goes for 18 thousand. Maybe the high gas cost aint so bad if you look at everything.

I have to work the numbers again. Thinking about an explorer.

HM

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I'm a contractor, and home owners wanting to look cool and drive a one ton dually is what drove the price of a work truck sky high, In a couple of months I'll be able to pick up a fresher new fleet dirt cheap.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Soon you will have to be a farmer or licenced contractor to drive one. But they will award a certain amout of luxry exceptions to the very wealthy that can afford the carbon footprints.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Goose2,

You might have your wish soon enough, It looks like all decent paying manufacturing jobs are leaving the country at an alarming rate.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Well, let’s see. If you drive a 16 mpg suv or p/u 20,000 miles a year, you will buy 1,250 gallons of gas. If you drive an economy car getting 28 mpg 20,000 miles you will buy 714 gallons of gas. Over 4 years the difference in total gallons is 2,144 gallons at say $5.00 per gallon. That’s $10,720.

However, you don’t “lose” any money on the suv if you don’t sell it or trade it. If you do and you buy a $20,000 economy car, what is it worth in 4 years? If you answer $10,000, all you have done is traded gas cost for depreciation.

And, this is a pretty big mpg usage spread.

But, what if you just cut out a few trips and lowered your annual miles by 5% or 1,000 miles. Over those same 4 years you would save 4,000 miles @ 16 mpg or a total of 250 gallons. Your economy car would have to get over 30 mpg to match the savings.

Before you dump your current ride for something else, you better do the math.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm going out next week and buy a new Silverado/Sierra....pricing is great and I have a buyer for my '04.

Curt

13. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

I bought my F-250 back when I wsa doing construction. Career change and I'm back in school. My truck sits in the drive-way and gets driven about 20 miles a week to keep it from sitting there and something seizing up. I get 14-16 mpg but my daily ride is my grandmother's car since she is no longer able to drive. Just filled it up today, 27.8 mpg. 1994 Chrysler Cirrus. The only reason my truck is not gone is because my boat needs a ride to get to Ocean City, MD and when it's more economical to tow my boat farthur down the Chesapeake rather than running the boat. Oh by the way the boat get 2.4 nm per gallon.

Allan

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

One word..."Harley"

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The used car lots around here are full of nice SUVs and pickups. Yet the prices are still high.

16. BMC

BMC Member

In May I spend upwards of $400 in fuel just to drive back and forth to work in my 04 Silverado. Its roughly 80 miles round trip each day. I decided to shop for an "econo car" for commuting. The only Civics I could find under 10 grand had no less than 120,000 miles. Suddenly every small car is worth its weight in gold. I opted instead to buy a new Chevy Cobalt which cost me 14K. My truck is paid for so with the $260 a month payment, and so far, 36mpg of the Cobalt, I'm not spending much more than I was, and I get to keep the miles off my truck.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

GM is closing plants but it is not 100% related to gas. They build a poor quality product and are slowly being forced out of business. It has been a trend for years

18. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

I started driving 65 MPH instead of 75 MPH on major highways (posted speed limit is 65 MPH), and saw a major increase in MPG. If every one would do the speed limit, the country would save a bunch of fuel...Also noticed the truckers starting to slow down.

19. BMC

BMC Member

Silverado SS, Impala SS and Cobalt in my driveway Goose. All black too. Someone has to keep them in business :) This new Cobalt kicks ass. I didn't think it would be this much fun to drive.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I drive cars and trucks to the Auction and the dealers are unloading all their used big cars and trucks and sending them to the Auction to get as much money as they can as they are not selling, market is dropping fast every day, they are trying curb their losses. I am talking large quantities of big gas guzzling vehicles, especially HUMMERS, CHEV SUBURBANS, GMC DENALI's, CADDILAC ESCALADES
    wait a few months and they will be giving them away. Large motorhomes Etc.

The pick-up orders say RUSH on them, never used to be that way, we picked up 30
    vehicles at one dealership in 2 days, all large gas guzzlers and are 2007 & 2008
    some with less than 1,000 miles average is less than 6,000 miles.

Wait a few months if interested in one of these style vehicles and name your price for the one you choose.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.