1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P-Trigger Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clean it well first. Then look for a damaged sear, worn/broken spring, or a worn hammer notch. If this doesn't take care of the problem, find a good gunsmith.

Pat Ireland

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

What Pat said. If it doubles or fanfires after it is cleaned and inspected, let some one else shoot it. If it does not double for them, you are fan firing the gun, and need to hold it more securely. If it doubles for another shooter, you need to have it checked out.

Most O/U's can be made to fan fire by not holding them securely. (ouch)

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

This is true. None of my Perazzis or spare triggers are selctable.

I have considered locking safety and selector on my Brownings, but am too lazy to do so. LOL

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Clean well first. usually clears up the problem. I've seen issues with lube getting on the sear... keeping it clean and dry seems to work better....

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The hammer knoch and the surface of the sear which engages the hammer knoch need to be cleaned of all lubrication. Use a cue tip or pipe cleaner dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces. This should solve the problem if nothing is broken or damaged. HMB

6. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

check your poundage, they may be too light.

7. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I had friend who shot a Ljutic o/u. It had always been reliable and he shot it great. One day during registered doubles it doubled. Back then you could test fire. He test fired twice more and the gun doubled. He finished with a Winchester SX-1.

I saw him a week later and asked about his problem. He told me there was nothing wrong with the gun but he had been using WD-40 internally when he cleaned the gun. This he had done several times. The gunsmith told him to never us WD-40 inside the workings as WD-40 leaves a film that gets gummy over time especially if its used over and over.

What was happening in his case was the build up was preventing the inertia block from going full stroke.

Many shooters don't realize that when you pull the trigger on a over and under you actually pull it twice. Once when you fire the gun and once when the gun comes back from recoil and runs into your finger. That's why there is an inertia block to interrupt this cycle. If the block can't go full cycle it can't do it's job.

When shooting a single barrel the above phenomenon doesn’t happen because you are only shooting one shot.

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.