1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

p.o.i. change?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a new bt-99 golden clays that shoots considerably higher than the the bt that I was previously shooting. i called a local gun shop and inquired about changing [lowering] the p.o.i. They said that they could change it somewhat, depending on how much I wanted to lower it. Has anyone had any experience in doing this with a bt or any other trap gun? I am thinking I may devalue the gun if they do too much alteration to it. The gunsmith spoke of shims and/or changing the bead mounting. thanks Bill in MI

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Learn to shoot it the way it is.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I had a BT that shot almost two feet high. The gunsmith filed the inside tip of the barrel and I could then place my bead underneath the target and just touch the target.
    Steve Balistreri

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Have an experienced person who knows what they're doing pattern the gun for you and analyze your mechanics. The fact that you asked this question in the first place indicates that you're too inexperienced to have done it properly yourself. No offense -- I'm just telling you the reality. You're smart to think about the value of your gun now, instead of after it's too late.

-Gary

PS: Steve, exactly what is the senior smoking? He filed the inside tip of the barrel and POI dropped 2 feet? Gimme a break.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I imagine it would involve replacing the rib posts with lower ones towards the breech end. Then lowering the stock to maintain the sight picture. Or, have a reverse tapered Keen style attached.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Inexperienced at what? I'm not talking about doing anything myself. This is a very good and respected gunshop I'm talking about. And I'm not interested in changing my mechanics, I'm a 95+ shooter with the mechanics that I have. Maybe it's just the wrong gun for me. As some of you may know I'm trying to replace a stolen gun in midseason here and it sucks.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Slayer have you shot at a pattern board at 35-40 yards, forget about the 13 yard pattern.

Shoot shoot 3 shots from a rest, I shoot mine from my backyard porch railing at 35 yards.

I just patterned a Perazzi MX-15 and it shoots 13-14 inches high, for me at that distance it is 100% POI.

I have only seen the BT-99s w/ Serial # starting w/ RR or RT that shot high.

If it shoots a 100% pattern I would be interested in it. Most shot 60/40 max

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Dick Williams in Shields

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I'm already using a day glo "fat bead" and the adj. comb is all the way down. No adjustable rib on this one, maybe making it the wrong purchase for me. It took me two years to get used to the p.o.i. on my last one. I think this gun is for sale. Bill Wheeler

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make an add on rib 3 inches long out of balsa wood, paint it black, and attach it to the existing rib with two sided tape. You can use a small pin with a bead on the end as a front sight. The thicker you make the rib the lower the gun will shoot. You can get every thing you need to do the job at a hobby shop. Pattern the gun at the range and adjust the thickness of the rib until it has the same POI as your other gun. HMB

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

You got to be kidding. Tell me that reply is a joke.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Inexeperienced at properly patterning a shotgun for POI and determining whether shooter mechanics are really the problem.

-Gary

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

slayer, You WILL devalue the gun with permanent alterations. With the comb all the way down it shouldn't shoot higher than the average trap gun. What does the sight picture look like. Your details are vague.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

He doesn't understand. That's why he needs somebody with experience.

-Gary

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No joke. Just an inexpensive way to get the POI you want. When you find out the correct dimensions you can get a custom add on rib made. Or you can use the the home made one until something better comes along. HMB

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I'd like to see you bench the gun with full choke in at 13yds. and let us know how many inches high it is shooting above POA if you haven't already done so.

Steve

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The sight picture looks like your classic figure 8 or snowman. Gary what makes you think that I am such a novice? I just got it on thursday and hsven't hadtime to pattern it yet. I took it to a local club and shot some rounds and determined that with the same mechanics as shooting my last gun it shoots much higher. that's all I know at this time. I can go to my club tomorrow morning and find out a lot more. Sorry guys if I seem a little testy on this issue. I had to cancel a trip to the team shoot in Mason that is going on today.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I took it to a local club and shot some rounds and determined that with the same mechanics as shooting my last gun it shoots much higher."

So without checking the POI on paper how did you determine that it is shooting high?????

Bob Lawless

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Probably shooting over targets and taking off tops.

Missing you at the team shoot...

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Neil was reading the breaks for him. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt99gc

trap gun p o i