1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P barrel question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TOOT, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

I've been shopping for a Perrazi o/u barrel set for my Mx-15 and I get descriptions like "sporting" and "heavy skeet".

I know there are a few weight differences around but what's the difference between...say a "sporting" and a "trap" barrel?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Flat low rib, flat shooting as in 50/50 or so. Look around for something like a DB-81 o/u. probably some specific others will work too.

Jim

3. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

I tried a DB81....the rib is way too high. I would have to add another 1/2" worth of spacers to the comb, I already have about 1/2".

I don't mind if the rib is low...I can add a after-market machined rib to gain height....just can't take it away.

So are the barrels the same...just the rib configuartion is different?

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

"Sporting" barrels are usually flat ribbed, and trap barrels usually have higher ribs. Point of impact is what your after. For trap, you would probably want a set of barrels that shoots a little high for you, 60/40 or more, but only you will know what you need. If you have an adjustible comb, you can play with that regardless of what type of barrels you buy. I'd go to a gun shop that has some models on the rack and pull them up, or see if they will allow you to snap various barrels on your frame and see what site picture you see. There are various barrel weights available as well. Good luck on that one, it takes a while to determine best barrel weight (say for doubles), it's all about smoooooothness! I shoot both trap and sporting with an MX-8 O/U, flat rib, 32" and just adjust my comb from doubles to sporting. Not bragging, but I'm AA27AA and Class AA on sporting. Also shoot the O/U on singles as well. If it works for me could work for you, but.....everyones different!

5. doug gray

doug gray TS Member

For your MX15 you are looking for a step rib or ramp rib MX 8 or MX 14 barrel. Any of the adj rib barrels & DB 81, as stated will require you to move the comb beween the unsingle & O/U. Many sporting barrels have no side ribs or ventilated side ribs but can be found with the proper rib height. The side ribs really only affect weight and is really no big deal. Good luck, DGG

6. Hitmissone

Hitmissone TS Member

I have tricked out MX-14 O/U barrels that are light to swing. 32" For Sale

7. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

Thanks for all the input.....

hitmiss...email sent!!

8. Hitmissone

Hitmissone TS Member

the barrels are 32" Proport, Wilkinson .013 & .027 chokes, backbored .740 or so. I'd have to look at the paperwork. Cyro treated, no side ribs. $ 3000.00 shipped to you. Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.