1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P and K guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chopperman, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopperman

chopperman Member

Do these high end shotguns hold their value well enough to use as investments?
    Chris

2. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't buy them as an investment. Shoot em and enjoy them. If you look at the used guns being offered, you can get a lot of good buys, and probably a whole lot better in the near future, unfortunately.

3. Slugo

Slugo Member

NO!!! Stocks, bonds, mutuals, ETF's, but not contemporary shotguns. High quality antique shotguns don't even qualify...

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Paid $2,700. for my MX8 Combo, new.... ..... now worth a minimum of $4,200.00. Not a great investment but better than buying a new 1100.

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I think the best you can hope for is to enjoy shooting a high end gun for many, many years and then get most of your money out of it.

Once you buy the first one....you can trade around and not get hurt too badly. For example, you might spend $8k on a P gun combo set - there's some on the boards right now for that, or not much more. If you don't like that, you can move right across into a Seitz for 'a few dollars more'.

You can trade around on the lower end too...from browning to SKB to Beretta and not have to dump in too much money.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Not the ones you will find on this site. However there is a market for high end exhibition grade unfired guns of different makes and models. Many of these guns sell in the $50,000 range and up from there. The Sky is the limit on a handfull of them. The engraving by a certain artistan that is a one of kind piece of art will always have a following. Problem is it would take a long time to find a buyer for such a small buyer market and most transactions would have a middle man (to verify the gun) to take a piece of the action as well. break-em all. Jeff

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Not investment status but if you buy used guns deftly, you can get your money back when you go to sell.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Depends on your age and how long you will wait---I bought a Fox Sterlingworth some 40 yrs ago for $55.00 and sold it last yr for $900.00---A friend of mine bought 2 San Remos 40 yrs ago for $900.00 and they will bring 5 to $7,000.00 today---We probably would have done better in the stock mkt with same $$s invested but we had something to hold and shoot and still had a profit---It all depends on what your interest is---I for one love nice guns and never lost too much in buying and selling---gL---George@SJB---

9. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

There are just too many variables right now associated with the sport of trapshooting to make a call regarding return on dollar invested in a high end trap gun. Lead, either the cost or the outright ban, could drastically affect the prices of dedicated high end trap guns.

On the other hand, the past two years have been the "golden era" to pick up a high end trap gun used at a fantastic price. I think the opportunities to find a "steal" are diminishing as the economy turns more positive.

In the past two years I have acquired two high end guns because I just couldn't pass up on the deal. I bought these two shotguns (one was a K gun) at such a low price that I do not think I will ever be upside down and while the return on dollar invested might well be lower then what I might find in other investment areas, they sure are more fun to play with then my portfolio.

Doc

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

trap guns are nothing but tools. In general they are meant to be used. Use them enjoy them. If you want an investment buy a high end muscle car. with the current price of fuel they will most likely become very scarce.

Also, if a 10 to 20 k investment will change your life, trap shooting most likely is not the sport for you.

This sport is not cheap, if you get hooked on it on a very tight budget---you're not going to be a happy camper.

Another good investments are quality stocks that pay good dividends.

Phil Berkowitz

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you factor in the continual loss of value of the dollar, heck no!.....breakemall

Well, WPT's certainly got the right idea below! Good onya Billy!

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been buying guns from estate sales and do not even get a chance to put them on TS.Com and they are gone because I price them right ...
    There are deals out there you just have to know where to look and keep in mind money talks while BS walks ... I bid on 8 guns, another guy was bidding on them also ... His was the highest bid but he didn't have any money to honor his offer so I bought them at my offer ... They are all gone with the exception of a Model 12 and I don't care if I ever sell that one ... I bought an as new MX-2000 combo for a good price and sold it for a price that was a steal the next day ... I did the same thing with an MX-15 a few weeks back ... I never had a chance to put them on TS.Com and they were sold ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Here's one that was a great investment.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't want collectable guns, I want saleable guns that are in exceptional shape and priced right or down right cheap that can be rebuilt ... I sold 3 guns that had never been fired, 2 of them had never been put together ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.