1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ozark squirrel hunting with my trap gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I hunt squirrels all the time with a shotgun, but I wouldn't recommend dragging your trap gun through all the sticks and thorns and getting it all scratched up. I use an old 16 ga. stevens 311A SxS, the finish is almost gone on the stock, so if it gets a few dings on it, I don't really care. Good Luck!

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Shotguns are fowling pieces. Civilized hunters use a 22 rifle or handgun for squirrels.

Jim

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Never, never use a shotgun for squirrel hunting...........22 rimfire or .17HMR, head shot only. As Jim says handguns are ok also.

About 4 or 5 of us get together 3 or 4 times a season to shoot squirrels and have a big cookout at a cabin in the woods. We end up with squirrel, pheasant, deer and duck or goose with all the trimmings. Some of the best times ever in the fall.

Bill

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Most of my favorite squirrel spots are owned by farmers that insist on shotguns for the safety of themselves and the cattle they raise nearby. I use a 28g and dad a .410. Less shot.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Zara, I'm suspecting Shootlow never ate a one of them.

They were all his neighbor's pets and he enticed them to his back door with choice morsel's of corn and acorn's and shot those poor unsuspecting little squirrels in the back of the head whilst they were enjoying his somewhat devious hospitality.

Here is a picture of Shootlow feeding one of his unsuspecting guest just before the poor young squirrels demise.

What you can't see, is the gun that Shootlow was holding in his other hand.

[​IMG]

This poor little innocent rodent is now in Squirrel heaven..........thanks to that dastardly Shootlow.

Hauxfan!

6. Hauxfan

I forgot to mention, that my Dad would not allow me to hunt squirrels or rabbits with a shotgun. It was a .22 rifle or not at all. Hauxfan!

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Shotgun for squirrels? If you like the taste of pellets! My .22 RWS 350 Air Rifle takes them easily with Predator pellets out to 50 yards! Head shots drop them in their tracks! Fairly safe to shoot around farms and such, plus no noise!

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

20ga in early season (for shooting out of the top of beech trees) 22LR in late season. I use either my 39A or my single six in late season. This is also a dandy time to scout out potential deer hunting spots. I may soft load my 41 mag and head shoot a few just to get tuned up for deer season!

ec90t

9. Hauxfan

Zardo, I think you are onto something there. When Shootlow left Iowa and went to Kansas, it raised the IQ of both states a couple of points.

Shootlow, you can't be serious. Those little squirrels wouldn't hurt a thing.

As for eating them, they are mighty tasty if you know how to fix them. Yummy!

Hauxfan!

10. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Stevens 311 SxS in .410 - best squirrel gun ever made. Head shots only.

hubcap

11. sts man

sts man TS Member

haha, hunting squirrels with a shotgun is laughable. What better way to improve your accuracy than to try to hit a target the size of a quarter bouncing through the trees. Shotgunning is the easy way, headshooting with a .22 is the fun way

12. likes-to-shoot

cateyes or steelies?

13. bigblock 600

bigblock 600 TS Member

Any one try taking them with their bow.
    Last season i came out of the wood to wait for my ride back to camp, When the guys arived I showed bloodied arrows. Told them we have some tracking to do.
    then I pulled out three squirrels from my pack.All three were shot were out of the trees and over 20 yards.

14. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

shootlow the hauxfan is ingood standing in iowa as far as i know. the best way to kill squirrels is to turn your jackrussell terrier lose on them and sit back and watch. my little girl used to get them all the time when she was younger. i don't eat them as she tears them up a bit and i ain't much on wild game from my back yard.jack

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I have shot squirrels with a bow while deer hunting from a tree stand. Used judo tips but the little buggers are too tuff for that. It will break bones but they will still get away. Broadheads kill them but nearly cuts them in two. Final analysis is it doesn't work worth a damn with a bow. If you can shoot three squirrels and get all three of your shafts back you are a better hunter than I am.

jim brown

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

flincher100 - We were hunting for meat that we couldn't afford to buy.....it wasn't for sport.

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

No hunting squirrels with a shotgun? Then what the heck are all those full choke .410s for?!

~Michael

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Head shots with a .22 ruin the best parts to eat. Brains and tongue.

The "ole M-12" trap will drag one out of the tallest tree with ease.

19. likes-to-shoot

Those full choke 410's are good for pheasant and rabbit.

Bill

20. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Zard,

I'm planning on it. Not the Tucson fall shoot though. How about you?

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

my little hunting cabin in the ozarks