1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oysters in the months of "R"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by spitter, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Heading down south to south Alabama in a day or so... and man, can't wait to have me some salty tasting Apalachicola Oysters from Florida... mmm, mmm, mmm. Laid over some saltine crackers with a spot of hot sauce - mano, manischewitz... (or is that another thread!).

This "yankee" is heading to the Land of Dixie for some southern soul food.

Any other oyster eaters in this crowd?!

regards all,

jay

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Oysters in the months of

You bet.. Louisiana native here and love my oysters! Try some oyster soup, oyster's Rockefeller, an oyster po-boy. My grandmother from Houma, LA would always make oyster dressing for thanksgiving when she was alive.

Smoked oysters, fried oysters, stewed oysters, barbequed oysters, steamed oysters, oyster gumbo,... oh my!

Don't forget blue crabs, gulf shrimp, New Orleans style red beans and rice. Too bad it isn't crawfish season (spring).

Guy Babin

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Oysters in the months of

i love them!

4. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Oysters in the months of

You don't have to go so far south! They have oysters in West Virginia - they call them mountain oysters! :)

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Oysters in the months of

Oh heck, we have them even in Minnysoda.

I've not eaten them but apparently they get them out west from the Rocky Mountains area.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Oysters in the months of

Love em too...the sad part is that I remember as a boy heading to our hunting property and stopping in "Bivalve Md." for a bushel of some gorgeous jumbo oysters just mildly salty from the good old Chesapeake Bay...they were so big the main shell was the size of your whole hand and palm cupped....when we made fried oysters out of them ..the men had to do it because my moms hands were to small to bread them in cracker meal

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Oysters in the months of

Wish I was down at Nance's Restaurant In Murrell's Inlet just south of Myrtle Beach, SC. A double roaster of steamed oysters with plenty of melted butter and something cold to drink. Or maybe an oyster poorboy at Hyman's Seafood Company on Meeting Street in Charleston, SC. May have to talk the wife into a trip to South Carolina after New Years.

DoubleAuto

8. cementman

cementman Member

Oysters in the months of

Years back was down in Florida with a friend who's brother-in-law owned a fishery on the Gulf and supplied seafood to great number of resturants on the Atlantic side. We use to meet his delivery truck in the morning on I-95 and pickup a burlap bag of oysters to be eaten morning, noon and night every which way imaginable. Ended up the last day of our vacation in the hospital with food poisining, sicker than a dog. Doctor explained that you could 10,000 oysters and be unlucky enough to get that one bad one. Did eliminate my craving for oysters for a couple months but love them to this day.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Oysters in the months of

Love them, especially blue points or malapec(sp?) on the half shell. Unfortunately northern NV is along way from good oysters (the pacific ones aren't that good).

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Oysters in the months of

Charlie:

Wasn't thinking about them at first... gotta go south to get at those too! (depending on your perspective - lol)

regards,

jay

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Oysters in the months of

Down here is South Georgia we anxsiously await the cold weather to start roasting oysters. We usually have them every weekend at one house or another. I love oyster stew but my favorite is steaming them open, popping them out and onto a saltine with some hot sauce. I sometimes melt some butter and hot sauce and dip the oystems in it. Here it is only Tuesday and already my mouth is watering. LOL Jackie B.

12. dward

dward Member

Oysters in the months of

Every winter we go down to our place on Marco Island and the Sand Bar has happy hour oysters on the half shell for 60 cents each. I'll bet over two winter trips I'll eat 10 dozen myself.

We also go elk hunting to Idaho and driving into Missoula on I90 is a little town named Rock Creek home of the annual "Testicle Festival" where the land based oysters are served......along with just a few alcoholic beverages. It's like a small Sturgis reunion in EVERY way. testyfesty.com

Big (hungry for oysters) Dan

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Oysters in the months of

I lost my appetite at " mmm, mmm, mmm ". ;-)

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Oysters in the months of

If you can't handle them off the shell then try an oyster shooter. 2oz shot glass with oyster in bottom just barley covered with red sauce (hot version of course) and topped with your favorite clear beverage. I likem with vodka or rum.ummmmmm ummmmm

Bob

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Oysters in the months of

Bob,

Please take no offense, but iffin you don't like the milk and slug without all the cover-ups you don't really like oysters.

Guy B.

Oyster slurper at large

16. CalvinMD

Oysters in the months of

I like when you shuck open a big salty Chincoteague and finding one of those little parasite crabs inside...a nice lil crunchy tidbit

17. CalvinMD

Oysters in the months of

You talked me into it Guy...lets get bushel of selects and pull out the blades

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Oysters in the months of

I like 'em stewed, broiled and fried. I can't handle the raw ones. Way too snotty for me. And those Rocky Mountain oysters...come on people, they are testicles, fer cryin out loud! Bleah

19. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Oysters in the months of

Oysters Rockefeller at Antoines in New Orleans are great!! Wish I had some now.

Here in Missouri, I just make a meal from saltines, whip up some egg, dip the oysters in the egg and then the cracker meal and fry to nice and brown!

Sure wish the fresh oysters would start showing up in the local grocery stores!!

Allen

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Oysters in the months of

Every year when I make my Daytona Bike Week trip, the crew rides over to East Palatka to the Cheyenne Saloon and get a bucket of their steamed oysters. Two years ago I FINALLY got a natural pearl inside one of the oysters and wouldn't you know I left it on the tray and let them throw it away! Man, when I remembered was I ever mad. Still a great time and March is a GREAT time to get out of cold Ohio. Regards...

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.