1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oxygen

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by parts, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parts

parts TS Member

I have been shooting both ATA and local clubs since 1968 and have recently
    been required to use oxygen on a ALMOST full time basis. I have two questions.
    Will clubs allow oxygen on the grounds? Can I carry it with me if I DON'T
    take it on the line? Thanks!

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I received an inquiry about this very subject from a reader last month. I've also seen numerous shooters using oxygen while shooting and told the reader so but asked around a little anyway. I've found that there is a concern - and it is an unfounded concern - that insurance companies might get nervous about a concentration of flammable oxygen being used around a combustion like gunpowder burning, but I wouldn't think that you would encounter resistance to your use of it at most clubs.

ED

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO problem at our club, and I never saw any at others, either.

HM

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Oxygen is not flammable, but it is needed for things to burn. It will accelerate burning. I can see no reason why any insurance company would have problems with it's medicinal use.

Jerry

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

parts, I am a respiratory therapist and deal with oxygen patients on a daily basis and am an avid trapshooter. I have seen a few shooters take the line while wearing O2. Unless you shoot with a VERY loose gun that throws hot gasses/sparks from the breech I see no danger/concerns about wearing oxygen and trapshooting. If you have a "mini" system wear it on your back like a reverse ammo belt. If you have a canister/cart system keep it behind you. Good luck!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Oxygen supports fire but is not explosive ... Its part of the Tetrahedren (? sp) which is made up of all things thats needed for a fire to burn ... The amount of oxygen thats coming from a portable unit is nothing to worry about ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. chemist

chemist Member

WPT- its the fire triangle--heat, fuel, oxygen- remove one and no go

8. qshot

qshot TS Member

I have been using supplemental oxygen for 5 yrs. I have shot 5 thousand rounds allready this year and would shoot more if I had a way to take more oxygen to the range, I reload my own shells also. I was supposed to be dead three yrs. ago but am still going strong and credit my family, friends and shooting trap and skeet for still being around and having something to look forward too. Charlie

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Parts, I too use supplemental O2, I have never had anyone raise a concern. My device uses liquid O2 and has a conserving valve, (check valve) that only lets a metered amount through upon taking a breath. I have always taken a deep breath before calling for the bird, held my breath and started breathing after the shot. I asked my provider about any dangers, was advised that there were none. I couldn't shoot without it. I take it to the line everytime.
    Grind em..... J.Woolsey

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not want to shoot at a Gun Club where all Oxygen is banned. Removing Oxygen would make the air much more dense and an a 43 MPH target would only go around 40 yards. This would not be noticed however, because all of the shooters would be dead.

chemist- Did you say that if we removed one component of the "fire triangle" (head, oxygen, fuel) that the fire would go out? If that is correct, then the Sun will not be shinning today as I drive to a 4 day shoot in NC. The reaction of combining two hydrogens to make one helium does not require oxygen but is sure makes a lot of fire.

Pat Ireland

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

chemist,

The "fire triangle" is whats refered to as a "tetrahedren (sp)" when we were in the Fire Academy ... Fuel, heat, and oxygen or no go as you say ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

sorry but the sun dont count as fire,,,,it is a thermo nucluer (sic) event

13. parts

parts TS Member

Thanks to all who replied especially J.Woolsey and qshot--very encouraging!!

14. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Parts you have a private message. J.Woolsey

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Earth's atmoshere is 20% oxygen. HMB