1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oxidized shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I opened an old bag of shot this evening. It has started to oxidize. Not too badly yet. It is just not shiny and there is a little dust visible. How should
    I clean it or should I bother?

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can always tmble in a small amount of grahite, but I would likely leave it alone. If there is a LOT of dust, be careful don't mess with it inside your living quarters.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Don't breathe the dust. I would just load it as is and be careful to not breathe any of the dust. Probably the only time the dust would be a problem is when filling the shot hopper.

Jim

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Wayne; I had a bag of oxidized Remington shot that I could not bring myself to throw away. Initially I tried reloading with it but the dust made a mess of my reloader. Finally took 1/2 filled MEC bottles of it outside,shook it for awhile, and then poured it back and forth on a windy day to seperate the dust out. Made it much cleaner to reload but was a slow process. So much for gun show bargains.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

put it in a 2 lt pop bottle with some vingar and shake it wash it and your good to go no dust and clean shot

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

has anybody else tried the vinegar rinse?

7. leftex

leftex Active Member

I did the vinegar wash. The shot is still dull looking. Do I need to put graphite on it? If so, how do I go about it?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

It will work fine without graphite. Graphite is used on shot to help reduce oxidation and perhaps allow it to flow easier through your reloader. Graphite will also make the inside of the shot hopper dark and make it difficult to see how much shot is left.

Pat Ireland

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Same way. Put the shot back in the bottle (1/4 full) with a 1/4 teaspoon of powdered graphite and roll around for a few minutes. It should come out nice and shiny. If not add more graphite and roll some more.

10. EE

EE Banned User Banned

A 1/4 teaspoon of powdered graphite will coat 25 pounds of shot.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

EE: I was being easy on a newbie.. You know "KISS."

12. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I gotcha.

13. porky

porky TS Member

Go outside and pour it on a screen (a Metal screen is better), then roll it around on the screen. The powder will fall through the screening and the shot will be clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.