1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oxford outguns West Chester

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Oxford outguns West Chester in trapshooting showdown

The Daily Local News

College football may be known for its classic rivalries - Ohio State vs. Michigan, Notre Dame vs. Southern Cal, and Oklahoma vs. Texas, for example -- but other sports boast their own versions of these traditional grudge matches.

One such rivalry recently emerged on our local shooting sports scene: West Chester Gun Club vs. Oxford Gun Club. These two organizations, among the most active of Chester County's trapshooting clubs, recently met to settle a score and, most likely, give birth to an annual tradition. The inaugural contest took place on Black Friday, appropriately enough, since it proved to be a dark day for the West Chester Club.

Over 6,400 clay target were tossed into the air at this, one of Chester County's largest shotgun shooting events of the year. The Oxford Club's top shooters, led by Rich Lewis, smashed 927 out of 1,000 clay targets with West Chester's top guns, led by Jonathan Wolf, breaking just 902 of the 1000 clays.

The event kicked off at the Oxford Gun Club that morning with each team member attempting to shoot 50 clay targets - 25 targets from the 16-yard line and another 25 from the 23-yard handicap line. When the smoke cleared at the Oxford Gun Club, the shooters then convened at the West Chester Gun Club grounds where they repeated the same routine. The top 10 shooters from each club had their scores tabulated and added to the final totals. West Chester fielded a 36 man team while Oxford managed a field of just 28 shooters for the event.

Nonetheless, when the final scores were totaled, Oxford's talented 28 had bested the West Chester 36 by a significant 25-clay margin -- an insurmountable number of targets to make up in the trap shooting game. Jonathan Wolf, Vice President of the West Chester Gun Club, revealed the online genesis of the event.

"I had made some unsubstantiated claims on trapshooters.com, the sport's blog site, one being that West Chester Gun Club was 'Chester County's most popular gun club,'" Wolf explained. "I have good friends at the Oxford Gun Club who took exception to my posting and challenged me to prove my claims."

The good natured banter eventually produced the showdown when Wolf challenged Rich Lewis of the Oxford Gun Club's Board of Directors to have their respective organizations settle the matter on the firing line. Wolf then designed an appropriate award plaque made of Chester County wild cherry wood to serve as a trophy worthy of "Chester County's Most Popular Gun Club" and the challenge was on.

"Rich and I both gathered our troops, trained them with no mercy, and met on the firing line," said Wolf. "The clubs plan to make this an annual event with the winners holding the trophy until the next year's event."

The event's top scorers for the Oxford Gun Club (out of a possible 100 clays per man) were Rich Lewis 97, Jack Aldridge 96, Jim Roland 94, R. Emerson 94, K. Nelson 92, T. Parker 92, Ray Natale 91, Ted H. Wallace 91, Ted Wallace 90, and B. Aldridge 90. Top scores for West Chester Gun Club were Bob Malmstedt 97, E. Drumheller 94, Larry Grabowski 93 J. Zapp 92, Lou Liberato 89 R.J. Keers 89, Joe Prestia 88 K. Whitton 87, John Hoadley 87, and Jonathan Wolf 86.

Perhaps Wolf's West Chester minions will prevail when the two clubs stage their second meeting a year from now, but until then, the Oxford shooters will retain all the bragging rights.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very Nice positive exposure...way to go Jon and Rich

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

More of this is needed across the country. The article is small as was the event but, this is a positive piece of attention given to sporting shooters. Something you just don't see in newsprint in Chester or surrounding counties. Jon, Rich you are to be commended for your efforts with this event. I enjoy both clubs and the shooters I've gotten to know over the years. I have a feeling the event will grow next year. Can't wait to see what happens. The program has started and has to go on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.