1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oxford Gun Club Championship

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by T H Wallace, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Oxford Gun Club in Oxford PA will hold it's annual Club Championship on October 4 and 5, 2008.

Starting time is 10 AM both days.

Saturday October 4th 50 Pair doubles and 100 handicap targets

Sunday October 5th 200 singles.

Complete program, fees, and prizes will be posted at the shoot.

NON ATA members can shoot at this shoot. ATA members must claim if they want their targets registered at time of signup, for correct squadding.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Can we use 1-1/4 oz. 6's??

Curt

3. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Curt

Like you don't already?

Thats why at Sunday meat shoots, when you come, you take your meat then beat it....

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In the doubles and singles will there be 5 classes?

Curt

5. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Since there are/will not be enough AA shooters, there will be 4 classes.

I know you don't like, it, but there has to be money for prizes

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks for the reply Ted.

Sorry to hear there will be only 4 classes, sort of demeans the title of Championship and it's really not fair to the A class shooter's. But I do understand your problem with the club personnel and irresponsible fiscal management.

Sorry to hear the club is going to hell in a hand basket.

I hope the shoot goes well for everyone.

Curt

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Gail, Ted & Teddy have been a great assest to us trapshooter's. Just darn good people.

As I said, it's a shame that the club is going bad but not enough trapshooter's have gotten involved. This may be a wake up call, who knows.

Curt

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The burning question still remains....7-1/2's or 8's???????

Curt

9. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Curt,

Why do you continually ask 7-1/2's or 8's? Everyone knows you use 6's!!!

Big Dave

10. pa pete

pa pete Member

Kentucky 9's(4's and 5's!
    "Pete" Mcdonough

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Please get the word out tonight at Oxford about the meeting..especially if there are more of these financial shenanigans by the SC guys that we can counter,...Its not to late to make things right but we as trapshooting members must stay in contact and hit them with a united front

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dave....Shhh!! I'm trying to be sneaky!

Calvin...I nominate you as the resident "S.O.T." (Save Oxford Trapshooting).

The membership meeting that's most important will be in January and the B.O.D. elections.

Curt (I'll be using 1/2 oz., # 9's)

13. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

14. CalvinMD

Curt..we still ought to make it a point to hit the other meetings too...to keep them from spending away whats left...by Jan we might not need officers

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Cal...good point, but the spending is a BOD decision, somebody with balls has to put a stop to the runaway spending by the other shooter's that do not generate income.

We'll see.

Curt

16. gibbster5

gibbster5 TS Member

Fellow Shooters,

Let me start out by introducing myself. My name is Tim Stanley. I am a past President of the Oxford Gun Club. I enjoy all shotgun sports. I have shot the Penn Mar Trap League and enjoy the meat shoots in the winter. I also shoot sporting clays on a competitive level in the summer. I normally come to trap shooters.com for valuable shotgun information, but when I saw this thread about my home club, I needed to post the truth about Oxford Gun Club. The comments coming from our directors and members about unwise spending and certain sports wasting money are just not true. Our directors should be promoting all shotgun sports, not trying to run our good name down and spreading false information. Our sporting clays and five stand are doing very well with net profits well over $20k and skeet well over $5k net profits. If you call buying two new 12 volt traps at a cost of less than $5k and a new refrigerator for the clubhouse unwise spending, then I guess your right. I call it improving our club. The only way the board can spend the money is if the members approve it. So member turn-out is important at meetings. It would be really nice to walk into Oxford Gun Club someday and see all our board members working together. We are lucky to have all three shotgun sports at one facility. It's time to work together! I will be at the membership meeting Monday night and I would encourage all members to attend. I make myself very available if anyone would like to discuss any of these facts.
    Sincerely,
    Tim Stanley

17. CalvinMD

Good to have you respond Tim...Myself I'm not in the know when it comes to the dollars and cents of the situation, but I have noticed that when one of the disciplines at the club wants to push thier agenda, they go to great lengths to keep thier intent a secret then "stack the deck" to have a landslide at the meetings...personally I feel thats not exactly fair play...and in these lean times, not pinching every penny is unwise business...I love Oxford, but feel my fears for its future are closer to coming true each and every day...in any case the poor communications between the cliques are only succeeding to widen the fences that have come to divide us all...lets hope it never comes to the end of the road for us

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

4 classes at a "Championship" shoot? Beautiful...just beautiful....

Curt

19. CalvinMD

Soooo...who was the big "Weiner"??

20. ljsbaldwin

ljsbaldwin TS Member

I am currently the treasurer at the Oxford Gun Club. Tim, I think your hopes for the club are admirable, but you, yourself, had quite a handful at board meetings during your tenure as president of the club. I think we all had high hopes for a board that would work together toward the betterment of the ENTIRE club. Unfortunately, things didn't quite work out that way.

Since becoming a board member in January of 2008, I have been quite surprised on numerous occasions at the behavior of several board members. The basic tenets of common decency, courtesy, and respect simply do not exist, and I have experienced that on more than one board meeting. The board of directors has allowed non-board members to be privy to more than just the sharing of general information. At the last membership meeting, our current president found it entirely acceptable to offer the floor for at least 20 minutes to our former treasurer. This was without even informing current board members, much less asking their support or opinion. At the next bod mtg, several members expressed their outrage at this breach of respect. The division was clear, as no response was offered. Our president also sent out a letter (with faux OGC letterhead) demanding an apology for another board member's behavior. This also was without board knowledge or support. If only our president could control and direct a board meeting, then perhaps he might garner some actual respect for what he's supposed to be doing as president.

I personally have been the target of personal verbal assaults by more than one board member and also a former board member, (as you, Tim, witnessed at the last membership meeting). And Calvin, you are correct. When one group wants to push their agenda, they stack meetings. This is their right. However, whatever you want to believe, it's the trapshooting dollar that sustains the bulk of the club's costs. Speaking of which: Tim, your numbers don't tell the whole story. Sporting Clays has NETTED $5563, 5 Stand has NETTED 12,152, Skeet/Wobble has NETTED 4167. Trap has NETTED 16,542. However, the expenditures speak loudly: Dollars spent for sporting clays/5 stand targets total MORE THAN DOUBLE what they have NETTED. And that does not include the tax due on those targets. Add in the newest expense of $4700+ for the new double armed trap (which ended up being two separate traps) and these two disciplines have spent more than their fair share. The irony of this can also be seen in the fact that, though the club owns somewhere in the vicinity of 14 different sporting clays traps, that discipline continues to use (and create maintenance issues with) the pat traps. A bafflement to be sure... But the trap members need to speak up and be involved in club business if they want change. It's their money, and if they don't stand up for it, then they ought not complain.

On the trap side, the trap captain and other board members have repeatedly asked to save money for new trap house roofs, and repair to the clubhouse roof. None of this has been accomplished. In fact, last year, my husband and another board member showed up to help paint the skeet houses. The skeet captain was nowhere to be found. When contacted, he said he couldn't be there. My husband and the other board member painted them anyway without help from any skeet shooters.

I have been consistently and repeatedly either ignored or fought when I attempt to suggest some simple and common business practices to the board -those that can save $ and time. It's interesting, however, that on more than one occasion, my suggestions have been implemented at later dates on the advice of other board members. As long as they're implemented is really what's important, but these guys just don't seem to like smart girls too much.

Tim, it sure would be great if the board and all the membership could "get along." But having been the recipient of more than one verbal barrage has left me with strong doubts as to that possibility. Even my husband called the club president expressing his belief that I was owed an apology after being treated with such disrespect. I have never received any apology or even an acknowledgment of any wrongdoing. In fact, our illustrious president defended his behavior. So now I just pay the bills and keep the financial records as best as I am able. That is the job I agreed to do.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I took this job to help out the club and a good friend. Frankly, the experience has proven to be a very sad commentary.

As for me, I just want to shoot...

Sincerely,
    Lisa Baldwin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.