1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Owning a 10mm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by partygirl, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

I had a guy today expounding on the merits of the 10mm colt. I was wondering why would a guy want to own one of these, what with the popularity of the S&W 40 cal which is so similar and the ammo is much easier to acquire. I know the 10mm is a much more powerful round, but not so common. It seems to me to be somewhat off the beaten path.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Power.. If the Guy wants to go hunting.. 10mm better round.. If the guy want to save his own life.. If he can shoot it.. 10mm has more energy.. flatter trajectory.. The 40 is more popular as it is shorter and fits more compact handguns.. has enough power..and shooters who could not begin to qualify with a 10mm can "manage" a 40 S&W.. The FBI choose the 10mm to be there official cartridge because of its stopping power..but they to found out for all the non-shooting LEO's.. they needed something far more managable.. The 10mm reduced load was brought out by Federal.. and that they could shoot well enough.. Then.. the 40 S&W shortened the case and copied the 10mm "FBI" lite load.. The rest is history.. About the same time.. the 41 AE was comming out that would have fit a 9mm slide..so with only a barrel change you would have more power.. Ballistics were similar.. but the 40 S&W was the death of the 41 AE..

Have I answered the question..?? Its really a guy thing..We like shooting big powerful guns.. We like blowing up stuff.. Shooting watermellons and watching them explode.. Breaking bottles at 200 yards with a pistol.. All the sick crap guys do.. get done better with speed.. and lots of power.. Hope this helps.. All Good.. Mike

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

partygirl....Not "ALL" guys get their grinnies shootin watermellons and breaking glass bottles.

As for the 10mm...same reason some would waste their time on a 38/45.....To each his own.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Especially the ones with both hands in their pockets.. standing out front of the girls bathroom.. crying.. will someone PLEASE dance with me..221 Get back in your hole..

5. 221

PBB....As far as my hole goes...you have a lot of room to talk.....I don't need a pork chop hanging from my neck.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

221.. First.. You don't even post a name.. So.. from most of your post.. I consider you just a new name from the past.. A name like 221.. I would think of a XP.. Even with that.. I enjoyed punching a hole in a can at a few hundred yards.. or more.. When I can hit a can at extreme yardage with iron sights.. I REALLY enjoy it.. I might say too.. most of the guys I shoot with enjoy it too.. Kind of like shooting trap from the parking lot.. The cream rises to the top.. I don't have a clue who you are.. or where you come from..but down South.. we as men enjoy these kinds of games.. Until you build your own gun.. or try to accomplish something you can't just buy.. something you have to work at.. and experiment..I would not bark at ones that do.. No.. everything will not come out perfect..but we try...

I've never read a thread where you did little more than stur the pot.. or critizise.. Be a man.. share your victories and your failures..It makes you human.. If you have something against a 38/45.. I'd love to hear about it..If you have something against a 10mm..I'd like to hear about that too.. I assure you.. if my project is a flop..I'll be the first one to say it went wrong..Then I'll try to make it better..

Ok.. I said too much.. Sorry I rambled on.. now.. get back in your hole.. All Good.. Mike

7. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Keep up the good work Mike, some of us are supportive and encouraging of any and all projects.

Mr. Mark

8. 221

pbb....A SPADES a SPADE.....If by being someone that calls it like I see it, or correct some of the BS that is spewed on this forum is stirring YOUR pot then so be it. From the looks of things your skins a little thin in spots....The best way to keep people like me quiet is to not continually blow your own horn.....Something I do not do.....You may be surprised at what I create and my facilities and my abilities to make anything I wish......The last thing you will ever hear from me is who I am or what I have.....To me thats just running your mouth.

Now as for your latest project....Have fun.....Your a day late and a dollar short cuz it's been done so many times it's past being any breakthrough.....If it's fun for you GOOD.....But what for?....And the 10mm......See how many are for sale.....I know guys that shoot bullets that cost 20.00 a piece, and they think it's cool too.......Personally I like shooting 1000yds+ with any thing 300wsm and smaller, Particularlly a 6mmBR. The last thing any responsible shooter would do is shoot bottles, just to see them break.....That's what targets are for.

I SAID TO EACH HIS OWN....In my previous post....pbb you took it to being personal.

%~)

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Why settle for the .40 when you can have the real thing? The 10MM is not as compact, but for an experienced shooter, it works when the extra power makes the difference. I've had four different 10MMs over the years and still own a couple. The Colt was one of the most accurate handguns I've fired. It's one of the few "Auto" handguns that I could hunt with. The 10MM has been chambered in many handguns and I believe it's currently offered in a few today. The only issue is trying to obtain enough factory ammo to keep it running. I used to fire a lot of the CCI Blazer stuff. It worked surprisingly well for target practice. The recoil is not quite as bad as some would think. I've seen a few bullseye shooters shoot quarter sized groups with them.

10. 221

Try looking up 38/45 Hard Head....You will find your miraculous new cartridge birth is actually over 20 years old.

BTW.... while we are on the subject.....Anyone have a BLUED 10mm GOLD CUP, they would like to sell?

11. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

hey 221, Whats a 1000 yard shooter like you doing on this trap shooting page anyway?

12. 221

paul......CUZZZZZ.....I shoot and collect firearms of all types....Limiting ones self to just shotguns would get stale in short order. Besides there's plenty of crap talk over here that is sporting to, OUT those that spread it. You don't get much of that on a Rifle or Pistol forum, Pretty hard to chip your way to the top in those sports.

If it were not, for the devils advocate types......well.....can you imagine how one sided we would become......Our president should be reason enough to encourage NO SPIN and the REST OF THE STORY......The bad thing is the so-called gentlemen on here are always the first to call people names and start that name crap.....I don't care who you are, if your not on the up and up, I'm gonna say something.

You will also notice we were talking about 1911 pistols.....They are not shotguns.

%)

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

EE.. You've read my post well.. The 38/45 Hardhead.. is basically the high pressure 9mm Casull.. which is a 38/45 on stronger brass.. The 451/45 Super/400 Super/400Corbon/45 Win Mag brass from Starline.. Any of which is made to take higher psi than the regular 45 acp brass.. And.. you're correct I can't find where anyone else has done it.. The shell I'm making could easily be a 9/40 Super by Trident.. but it never went into production.. Looking at the properties of a 40 Super to a 10mm gives me some hope I'll acheive my goal..

Eddie has a very good point about loads and what can happen..I only use rubber grips on a hotrod.. only load shells 3 times if they are "hot"..then destroy them so some other reloader doesn't get in trouble.. A good micrometer is a reloaders friend.. and a bent paper clip to inspect cases..

Yes.. I know breaking glass is not a good thing to do..but where I shoot.. we have a few spots for glass..Fruit and mellons are biodegradable..

Now.. I know this is not a shotgun topic.. neither is surgery..or how to fix a car.. or A/C unit..or a prayer for a loved one.. We're family.. that's what sets us apart from the rest of the "chat rooms".. Heart.. So when we get done eatting each others liver for breakfast..we're there to stand shoulder to shoulder with our friend to defend them..

221.. if you get to Sparta.. coffee's on me.. You're out of "time out"... All Good.. Mike

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

7 1/2 or 8.................Roger

15. husker

husker Member

221: I don't have a blued one but would be willing to part with a SS Gold Cup 10mm. Accuracy and reliability overhaul by Cylinder and Slide. Have original parts. Very good shooter. Lots of money invested but haven't shot it for quite a while.

Roger Hudson

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I mix them 50/50... BTW. C&S does fantastic work.. I especially like their hammer/sear/disconnector package Warp speed is a good name.. Add titanium strut,firing pin and mainspring cap.. WOW...

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mike (PerazziBigBore) is spot on with his assessment and history of the 10mm.<br>
    <br>
    To expand further....<br>
    <br>
    The 40 S&W is not in the same class as the original 10mm. The original 10mm is a true magnum. The 10mm "Lite", aka 10mm FBI load, was, as Mike says, a reduced load because some FBI agents could not handle the recoil. S&W used computer models to develop the 40 S&W, is is ballistically the same as the 10mm "Lite". These are in the power range of the 45 ACP, and are not magnum loads. The 40 S&W is basically a shortened 10mm, but it has a small pistol primer because S&W discovered with their computer software that it was possible for a round to misfeed and have the extractor hit the large pistol primer, detonating it. When a small pistol primer was used, no problem.<br>
    <br>
    It was mentioned further up that the original 10mm is on a par with the 357 Magnum. Actually the original 10mm loadings exceed all of today's 357 Magnum loads, and meet or exceed the original 357 Magnum loads. For those scratching their heads, the 357 Magnum has been downloaded over the years because of the plethora of handguns chambered for it that are substandard for strength compared to the S&W N Frame Model 27, 28, etc. Some original 10mm loads are between 357 Magnum and 41 Magnum loads.<br>
    <br>
    The 10mm is a very accurate cartridge. I have a Colt stainless delta Gold Cup. It is amazingly accurate.<br>
    <br>
    Is the 10mm rough on 1911 frames. Yes. But this can easily be resolved by going to a heavier recoil spring and a Shok-Buf.<br>
    <br>
    Is the recoil of a 10mm excessive? Not really. It depends on the gun. The S&W 1006, which the FBI initially started with, has some of the worst designed grips on a modern handgun. The rear cornrs of the grips have a very tight radius, almost being square, and the slide assembly was tall, giving more leverage causing more muzzle flip. This was especially noticeable on the Colt Double Eagle. The Colt Delta series has less muzzle flip due to a lower barrel and slide, and with a heavier recoil spring, the recoil is far less than a Glock 20. The Delta is much quicker to recover for the next shot than a Glock 20.<br>
    <br>
    I've noticed that people who put down the 10mm overwhelmingly have never owned or even shot a 10mm. To cut to the chase, they simply don't know what they are talking about, and usually just parrot crap they've read or heard from others who don't know what they're talking about.<br>
    <br>
    10mm owners really like their guns, which is why you seldom see them for sale. Sure, not all that many were made in the first place, but few sell them.<br>
    <br>
    Uses of the 10mm... Same as you would a 357 Magnum. Hunting. Self-Defense. Tactical. Targets. And bowling pin shooting. The 10mm was, and to a certain extent still is for a few people, popular for bowling pin shoots. It hits the pins harder than a 45 ACP, and at the time, held more rounds than a 357 Magnum.<br>
    <br>
    I seldom pack my 10mm for CCW because of its weight. I prefer a lighter gun. Even my SIG-Sauer P-220 45 ACP weighs less. But out in the woods, especially in rainy weather, I carry it. It will handle anything I come up against in Oregon.<br>
    <br>
    Roger, if I weren't short on funds from college tuition for my son, and a kitchen remodel, I'd be on your 10mm Gold Cup like a pitbull on a bone.

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bryan..Thanks for that info on the small pistol primer.. I did'nt know that.. Once you set up a 10mm correctly..especially a Comp model..it's quite easy to shoot.. Mine.. with full power loads ejects the brass barely 2 feet.. and feels more like a 185 grain 45 acp target load.. That's with 2/10 grain under max.. with 155 grain bullets..

Looking at some of our newer police??? officers.. the walls.. floor and ceiling of the indoor shooting range are all fair targets when the go to qualify.. I think that why you can have a shoot out with 91 shots fired.. and no one hit.. Even the 40 S&W has proved to much for them to handle..

I also agree.. I've never met a person who owned a 10mm not LOVE it.. If you reload..you can do just about anything with one.. from ultra light paper punching to full hunting loads.. Just a simple change of a recoil spring...and maybe a mainspring.. In my 1911 I keep 3 mainspring assemblies ready.. One 17 pound,one 20 pound,and one 24 pound..

Keeping the slide from smacking the frame is what its all about..Done correctly..parts will last forever.. All Good.. Mike

19. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Well said, Brian! I really like mine and shoot it better than my .45s. Years ago, an article by Ayoob spoke of the superior penetration of the 10 when dealing with perps dressed in heavy down coats/winter clothing (cold climates).....

As I understood it, the 10 was emasculated because less experienced people could not handle the recoil....also, people with small hands could not control the recoil as well (probably because of the shitty 1006 grips).....

20. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have two 10 mm's and wouldn't consider parting with either. Both of mine are Glocks, one a model 20 the other a model 29. I chose them as they seem to hold up to the recoil better than some other makes. Great guns, very accurate and powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.