1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Owner engraving on a receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SCL, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCL

SCL Member

I was at the local show tis weekend looking for the handful of things I am contemplating, and I see a very nice 870 magnum that stirs my interest. Tag on it is $315, so I'm reaching for my wallet and looking at the pump at the same time. There on the side of the receiver a previous owner has engraved his initials and some number, most likely his IL FOID, with an engraving pen. Hand is now off wallet. First question, why would someone do this? (rhetorical) Second (real question) have any of you eer come upon a way to fix this? I've seen this a couple times now and it just destroys the value of the gun. I offered a ridiculously lower price thinking I could evolve it into a tactical and parkerize over it or something, but not even sure if that would work. Any thoughts?

Scott

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Found a really nice Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge at the local gun store. Same deal, I was hot to buy until I saw some mans MN drivers license number down the full length of the barrel... :|

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Saw the same thing on a very nice pre 64 Mod 70,270. SS# deeply engraved on top of the receiver. Lousy job of engraving to boot.

4. FIB

FIB Member

I saw it too. Some folks see their firearms strictly as "tools" and don't really care about its appearance. They think by marking it as such no one would steal it or it would be hard to sell that way.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

That can be ground off and refinished, probably not worth it to spend the money do it ... I bought a Rolex that was engraved, took it to a jeweler and had it removed and resurfaced, looked better than brand new ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Probably thought they would never sell that gun. Could be guns that where acquired through family, and said to hell with the sentimental value, give me cash. Could be because of theft reasoning, but nowadays that would be even more detrimental. Either way it sure messes up the gun.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Some time ago I had a Winch M-12 28ga skeet gun (solid rib) come in the shop with a Dr.Lic engraved on the left side. The gun belong to a dealer that took it in on trade. He had $500 in it.

I worked all the metal by hand and reblued it and refinished the wood for
    $1000. He sold it on a trade to Jaquas for $3800.

8. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

How about this
    [​IMG]

9. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I know of a skeet set of Browning Midas grades that the owner engraved his name on the upper tangs out where it was easily seen. This ruined these fine gun's value. I personally bought a Model 12 Trap with a 2nd bbl. When I removed the fore arm wood, the previous owners name was stamped on the metal. The name would only appear with the wood being off. This did not affect the value as it would not be seen.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I believe it was back in the 70's it became sort of a craze to engrave all your stuff with your SS number. Then it was no, don't use your SS#, use your DL# so if your stolen stuff gets found they can look you up.

I recall the insurance companies pushed the idea, even giving out a free metal stylus pen to the customers. Mark the TV and that new blender, like they going to last 100 years, lol.

The fad sold a lot of those plug in engraving pens and for the cheapskate the metal (non-powered) stylus. I still find tools in auctions that have owner markings quite a bit. I have an auction MEC 650 with some digits on the base.

It is a shame to see it on a gun. I saw a decent A-5 Magnum last fall with the former owners digits right along the crest of the hump. Sad.

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

For $315.00, put a sticker over it and forget about it.
    Steve Balistreri

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I bought a Win 94 pre 64 30/30 and it has etched on rec---

Southboro,Mass civil defense #201

I kinda think it adds value---

I have tried to investagate that era with no luck---

Would appreciate any info about that civil def era----

George@SJB

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Got a otherwise very nice Mossberg 500 pump with the prev owners SSN scratched in back side of the reciever..disassembled and used a fine grit belt on my big table sander..flat sanded the whole side until the scratches were gone..repainted with ultra hi-temp black ceramic automotive header paint then sat it over electric radiator heater..was as good as new and gave it to my nephew to hunt with..he still has it and loves it to death

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Some years ago at a gun show in Tulsa, I found a beautiful but older Ruger Bearcat for sale. Noted a number scribed on bottom of trigger guard. Looked like it was done by a 6 year old with the shakes. The dealer said it had come from an estate of a man who had committed suicide with it. The number was scribed by the police department who, after their investigation, gave it back to the wife who sold it to a dealer.

I decided to pass.

milt

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The problem is...... I will always know it is there and it would piss me off every time I looked at it.Jeff

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

FIB above said it best: "Some folks see their firearms strictly as "tools" and don't really care about its appearance." So when someone changes their firearm into a "tool" by personalizing it with THEIR (emphasis added) identity, the price gets adjusted accordingly...from firearm to tool, not unlike the used "tools" (hammers, drills, etc.) you see lying around in pawn shops. Yes, if you are handy and have the inclination, you can salvage someone else's tool as a "shooter", but I'm with SuperXJeff...I would always know it is there and I wouldn't like it. Best Regards, Ed

17. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I have been told that many years ago the NRA advised gun owners to engrave their social security number in a prominent place on their guns.

Pat

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

looks like old wingmasters bring about 400 to 500 bucks. looks like this one was priced relative to the damage done at 300. besides, i doubt that harbor freight engraver got very deep into that remington steel. good luck with it

19. SCL

SCL Member

Well I cured my obsession with that Wingmaser by going to my local dealer and buying a different one for $350. Hahaha. Couldn't help myself. This one looks brand new with factory box so I'm quite happy. Back to it, I didn't know if you could grind something like this out or not, but it seems it would have to be worth it to do it. Good thread guys!

20. turmite

turmite Member

SCL Duracoat has a filler primer that will allow you to fill the engraving, then apply Duracoat. It will make the gun look great if you do it right, or have it done right.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

owners name etched in receiver