1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

own brand shotmaker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigk, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigk

bigk TS Member

any ideas on making a shot maker?. shouldnt be that difficult.

2. powder-em

powder-em Member

big k I agree with you. I tried to get ajax to send some pics of his header system but haven't got a response yet. I am thinking the drippers can be made and put into a larger size ladel with a propane burner for a better more controllable heat source. Lazer point heat indicator will give lead and coolant temps at the pull of a trigger. May take some tinkering but what else do we do when we can't shoot. All good Dave

3. powder-em

powder-em Member

4. scott k

scott k TS Member

then build it your own way, as in don't copy anyone eleses ideas.that way you might build one better. good luck, have fun.

5. bigk

bigk TS Member

thanks for your reply BIGMAC good to see someone elce interested in CHEAP shot making with no hidden agenda.I will keep you posted of my results and any ideas i have. i see you are having difficulty getting info on someone elses system,maybe they have not got the time yet to get back to you. wait and see.i have been thinking of folding 1/8 plate into a square to use as a ladle and using gas as a heat source. i have a few 3/4 hydraulic fittings which i have bored with a 1mm bit which i will use as drippers. if i can figure out how to post pictures i will.

SCOTT K i think the whole idea of this thread is to try and build one our own way. as for using anyone elses ideas did i not read somewhere that stewart claims that littleton copied his design?.as shooters we deserve to have our sport as cheaply as possible,so if you have any ideas yourself we would like to hear them,unless you have a vested interest in stewart shot makers..

Kieran. Proud to be Irish.

6. powder-em

powder-em Member

Scott k as far as copying anyone elses ideas it would be hard not to. All we are talking about here is hot lead and drippers. Not brain surgery. It all comes down to production model or home made. I like doing things for myself. If I firuge something out that works I will be as kind as you have been insharing it with fellow shooters. Your pics and vids have been very informative. Thank you for that. All good Dave Mccrea Maybe it is an Irish thing.

7. scott k

scott k TS Member

don' get me wrong here. building things can be alot of fun, or very frustraiting. i build alot of things to save money. but sometimes it makes no sence to do so. i've had my shotmaker for about 3 months,1 mounth putting the whole system together, 2 mounths making shot and improving the system. i've made 1500 lbs of shot and can't find any lead. the shotmaker has paid for it's self, and the lead will come in time. now i'm reloading and shooting instead of working on an "own brand shotmaker". to me $750.00 for the shotmaker is cheap, used 3000 lbs of shot last year. that about $3000.00 this year.

ps nobody is paying me a penny for what i say or show on this or any website. i did/do it to help others.

later scott

8. bigk

bigk TS Member

scott.......i appreciate all your information that has been posted and have found it very useful,it is good to get this info for free. i live in lreland and as you can imagine by the time i would buy a shotmaker,get it posted over here and pay the import duty, a $400 shotmaker would be costing me in the region of $700. this is why i was trying to make my own. i have asked for info on making one on other sites and have received a limited response. you guys do not know how lucky you are to be living in a country which does not discriminate against shooting sports, shells here cost around thirty to fourty pounds per flat that is sixty to eighty dollars>>

9. gnprts

gnprts Member

Hey bigk
    E-mail me and I will send pictures of a home made pot/dripper that you can make from aluminum. I have used a Littleton and I like the home made unit much better.
    It is easier to use, not to mention th difference in price. Remove the Xs from my e-mail address when contacting me.

10. 333t

333t Member

Below are a couple of links to shot making machine patents granted by the US Patent Office. The first one is a New Zealand patent that I believe represents the Shotmaster, a two dripper machine that was marketed in the USA for awhile. The second one (from England I believe) sounds a lot like the ones we see discussed here. Too bad the drawings aren't available.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=13&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=645&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PALL&s1=%22lead+shot%22&OS="lead+shot"&RS="lead+shot"

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=14&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=671&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PALL&s1=%22lead+shot%22&OS="lead+shot"&RS="lead+shot"

These might help someone trying to develop a homemade machine.

Phil

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

gnprts: Would appreciate the pics as well.

davep@winco.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.