1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Overview of the ATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

Overview of the ATA - see link above. Data was modified on 10/9/2006.

"to promote and govern the sport"

The Amateur Trapshooting Association serves as the governing body for the sport of American style trapshooting. The ATA's mission is to promote and govern the sport throughout the world.

As the faithful protector of trapshooting, the ATA not only governs the sport's rules and regulations, but also seeks ways to enhance the sport and stimulate participation. The ATA provides trophies, financial assistance and event management support to the state and provincial associations. The ATA has also been instrumental in developing programs to increase interest in the sport with its creation of National Trapshooting Day, Satellite Grand Americans, Achievement Recognition and other valuable programs.

The ATA was founded in 1900 as the American Trapshooting Association and later changed to the Amateur Trapshooting Association in 1923. The ATA is composed of individual members, with two classifications of membership - life and annual. Only life members can hold office within this organization.

The governing body of the ATA is its Board of Directors, composed of one delegate from each state and province. The delegate is elected at the respective state and provincial shoot and is voted upon by all members of the ATA. (State officers are elected either by individuals or club delegates, depending upon the particular constitution of the state or province).

All delegates meet once a year, during the Grand American tournament. At this time, delegates from each zone elect a zone vice president. From these five men, one is selected as president of the ATA to serve for one year. The five vice presidents make up the Executive Committee of the ATA.

The Executive Committee appoints a secretary, treasurer, auditor and full-time headquarters manager. They also appoint a Central Handicap Committee of five men, who review shooters' records throughout the year. The Chairman of the CHC assigns yardage to new shooters as they qualify for permanent handicap cards. The delegate of each state and province acts as chairman of that state or province handicap committee, making recommendations to the national committee for yardage assignments or changes.

During the 1998 target year, 54,208 ATA members participated in one or more of the 6,275 registered tournaments contested throughout North America. In total, 82,480,480 registered clay targets were thrown by over 1,200 gun clubs.

The administrative offices and national headquarters, are located in Vandalia, OH and the ATA homegrounds are located in Sparta, IL at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex which hosts the Grand American Championships each August. The 2007 Grand American will mark the 108th year of this notable event.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The 1200 gun clubs, their members and other ATA shooters at them clubs promote the sport of Trapshooting, not the ATA ... The Martin's have done more in two years to support or promote trapshooting that the ATA EC/BOD has in the past 37 years that I know of ... The CASH cow is on its last legs and needs help from within, any organization can give away another man's money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

"During the 1998 target year, 54,208 ATA members participated in one or more of the 6,275 registered tournaments contested throughout North America. In total, 82,480,480 registered clay targets were thrown by over 1,200 gun clubs."

It would be nice to see the numbers above by target year from 1999 through 2011.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Garry all the information you are seeking is in the Average book every year.

Bob Lawless

5. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Why would the total number of targets thrown not be a multiple of 50?

K

6. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

Sadly, in 2011 only 28,073 ATA members participated in one or more registered shoots. I am hoping that ATA will create some programs to stimulate membership and participation. Ultimately it is up to us who shoot registered birds to encourage friends to participate in our great sport. Larry Crismond

7. running bear

running bear Member

With the price of gas, food, clothing, taxes and the increase in target cost, we won't increase until thing pick up again. Shooters don't have the money!

Buck

8. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to me why it is important to have more people participating in the sport?

Regards,

Chip Porter

9. Garry

Garry Active Member

Chip,

My answer to your question is to maximize shooter opportunity.

Growth is the life blood of an organization.

10. Garry

Garry Active Member

Would someone with a 2011 average book please replace the X's below with the actual numbers for target year 2011?

During the 2011 target year, XX,XXX ATA members participated in one or more of the X,XXX registered tournaments contested throughout North America. In total, XX,XXX,XXX registered clay targets were thrown by over X,XXX gun clubs."

Thank you.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Chip, You have to got be kidding with that statement.

12. minnship8

Setterman,

I am dead serious, and it wasn't a statement, it was a question. Why is it imperative to the shooter to increase participation?

I would like to hear a well reasoned reply, because I have never seen evidence that it is true. How can I believe that "growth is the life blood of the organization", when in fact, I don't even know what that means. I believe we are brainwashed by manufacturers and suppliers who love to see growth in the industry they represent. They present themselves as altruistic in their endeavors to help grow our sport, under he assumption that, "of course, everyone would agree that growth is a good thing". However, every time I ask someone specifically why growth is good, someone recites a cliche' and then acts as you have, like I'm a bit daft to even ask the question. Yet, I still can't get an answer to what most people assume is such an easy question. Haven't been able to for years. The closest anyone has come is that by having a larger participation base, we have a larger voice for government to hear. I don't need government to trap shoot or fish. So that invalidates that reason.

I came from the fishing industry where this was a mantra also, yet I have to date, never received what truly was a valid reason for the average participant to want growth within their sport.

Everyone just assumes that growth is a good thing and no one ever questions why.

So, why does the average shooter need our sport to grow? What does growth do for him? My vision of organizations like the ATA is that their responsibility is to their current member and they should be catering to his needs. Growing the ATA doesn't enhance its ability to service its member, so why is growth important to the ATA?

Regards,

Chip Porter

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Garry I have no clue. I don't get the average book. You made a statement above and I just passed along the location of that information.

As far as having that information you will have ask someone that has that information or contact Trap & Field and see if you can purchase the 2011 average book.

Bob Lawless

14. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Chip would have you think fewer shooters are better.....

Hmmmmm

Chip are you part of the EC?

15. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

This is some kind of conspiracy/trick to make me agree with Bob.

The planets are in line.

My head hurts.

16. Setterman

Chip, It's true. If you are not growing, you are dying.

Shooters die. Those replacements aren't necessarily waiting for us to call them, so we have to be progressive in bringing in new members, and it has to be fun, competitive, and popular. The more shooters, the more dues, more help at the clubs, and more people bringing their new friends, the more fun it is.

If you golf, would you golf if none of your friends golfed?

Theres also the anti gun mob. The more shooting buddies we have in this country, the better.

I don't think you need me to explain that one.

17. minnship8

Setterman,
    What you described is turnover, not growth.

I'm not trying to be flip, but you answered with another cliche' that's not in evidence. What evidence is there that if you are not growing you are dying? Please cite examples.

Regards,

Chip Porter

18. Setterman

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Chip...

I think I understand your question... growth for the sake of growth alone should not be a mission of any organization. Old adages - Strength in Numbers... and in economics (and I may get this incorrect - a little help?!) there was a concept of "guns v. butter"... how do you allocate resources?

If you lose your place in line, it's down hill from there...

In my mind, it's not so much growth that is needed, but a perpetual recruiting pool to replace those that we are losing to keep equilibrium.

Something I posted recently...

[​IMG]

Best regards all,

Jay

20. Garry

Garry Active Member

Chip, can you understand how growth maximizes shooter opportunity?

In 1998 there were 54,208 ATA members who registered targets. In 2011 there were 28,073 ATA members who registered targets. This represent a 48 percent decrease. If this trend continues do you think you will have more places to register targets at or fewer? If this trend continues, do you think the cost to shoot registered targets (shells, targets, entry fees) will decrease or increase?

See Jay's examples above of other sports that have died or are in the process of dying in America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.