1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oversingle vs. Unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ens, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ens

ens TS Member

Am looking to buy a new trap gun and can not decide on a oversingle or unsingle.I would like some input from shooters who have used both.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ed

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i think that is like asking what size woman to get-- to me its in the feel and balance!!! adjustable rib is a factor- some mfgs only sell it in unsingle(?)

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Undersingle, the reason is it will be less rise with the barrel.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Ed, No one can give you the correct answer FOR YOU. You will have to try both and make up you own mind. I'm not trying to be insensitive but ten opinions favoring top and ten favoring bottom will not help you, and opinions will vary for a multitude of reasons. Marc

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Most of my friends shoot either the Kolat T/S or the Max T/A. I shoot the T/A. I have noticed for some reason the learning how to shoot the gun curve takes a little longer with the higher ribbed T/A but once you get it all dialed in they wouldn't trade them for anything. I chose the T/A because I like the heads up shooting style because of a very bad back. Shoot them both before you decide.
    I forgot to mention the undersingles look neater than hell.

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Ed,

The advice to shoot both gun styles is very good advice. Some shooters cannot shoot a gun with a rib farther above the barrel. They have difficulty creating sight pictures using anything but the muzzle. If the creation of your sight pictures completely ignores the front bead, you may be one of them.

Other shooters have neck lengths or gun mounts that make it difficult to use a gun with a greater drop at the heel dimension that some guns with high ribs have.

The only way to tell which gun style is better for you will be to shoot both and compare how well they work visually for the creation of sight picture, for the position of your head with the gun mounted and, their overall stock dimensions and the shooting form they allow you to use.

The down side to shooting both configurations is that you may need to shoot the gun with a high rib for more than one squad.

Rollin

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Unsingles do not have as much Kick up as an oversingle.Allows you to see the break better after the shot. Unsingles do not hide the bird as much as an oversingle does. Unsingle allows a one eye shooter to hold a bit over the house without blocking the bird.Unsingle high rib guns allow for a more heads up shooting position. I own both and I guess i slightly favor the top single. Rick Marshall shoots a top single--Harlan Cambell shoots an unsingle.Hard to know which is best for you..Smokit

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Luvtrapguns has this one right. It is entirely a matter of individual preference and comfort. Some shooters just cannot seem to use an unsingle, and this may be because they subconsciously use the barrel end for a reference point, something you cannot do with the unsingle. Others (like myself) really like the more open visual area the unsingle (or a very high rib on a top single) provides. Adjustable ribs are more common on unsingles than top singles if you like/want an adjustable rib, but you can get them on some top singles. If at all possible, try to shoot both styles if someone at your club has them and will let you try them out. Buy the one that suits you best. It really does not matter what I like/use, or what someone else does, it only matters what works for you.

Jim R

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

If I had shot my K-80 TS Unsingle before buying it, I would NEVER have bought it.

For me, it was a very frustrating, and at times embarrassing, learning curve. The gun set me back at least 4 months. I had a good mentor to help me through the change. It was worth the pain in the end.

You will see many good used ones for sale (that is how I got mine) Some people either cannot shoot them, or are not prepared to learn how to shoot them. Very good advice to try one out. Do not be surprised if you shoot it poorly at first.

Ask yourself why are considering the high rib and if it will suit your style of shooting. Or are you attempting to change how you shoot to achieve a higher level? You may take a few steps back before gaining one or two steps forward.

Don Verna

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Top singles with a proper impact are usually easier to shoot for most shooters. That said, I'm not ready to change to anything else from my current K-80 Unsingle. Be aware, some individuals incur more difficulty with high ribs and cross-dominance than others!!

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I was getting frustrated with my high rib until I drew the trap angle out on paper and figured out that the high rib is no different than any other gun when it comes to POI. After I taught my self a lesson in common sense, All is good.
    All I will say is POI is POI. It was in my head that the higher rib was going to shoot higher and boy was I bad on post 5 hard rights.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, when I glance down the rib I cannot see how far the barrel is under the rib. I do not care if the gun is an un-single or top single. Others have expressed difficulty shooting an un-single. Both styles will move the stock the same way and recoil is transfered to our bodies by the stock, not the barrels.

Pat Ireland

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot my high rib top single TMX for over 23 years and some days it feels like the rib is in the wrong place and I have a tendency to look right through the rib and shoot off the mass of the barrel instead. I don't believe an unsingle like the MX14 with a conventional height rib but with the top barrel missing would give this same sensation. I believe that pointing a conventional rib gun like the MX3 is 'more intuitive' especially in bad light. It might be easier to crossfire with a high rib gun.

14. Golani

Golani TS Member

You will have to try both to see what works best for you.

I once had a K80 with both unsingle and top single barrels. At the pattern board they shot to the same point of impact. I had several very good scores with the top single but my top score with the unsingle was a 9. Never even got into double digits with it.

15. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Like Pat mentioned above, I can't tell any difference. I shoot birds of the rib, not barrel. It doesn't matter to me if it is unsingle or top. I do shoot an unsingle due to the fact.......the one top single I owned, gave heat waves in the summer. Best advice.........shoot both!

16. ens

ens TS Member

Thanks for all the different opinions. I decided on a 687 Beretta unsingle.Will let you all know how this goes.
    Thanks again,
    Ed

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Unsingle. Less muzzle jump, no heat waves.

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

When I used to shoot the Arizona chain, I'd shot five weeks - probably 20+ trophy singles events plus Bee Line marathons - with my unsingle K-80 and not broken a single 100.

Bob Munson asked "Say Neil, you shot that over-single on that gun pretty well; do you have it with you?

I did, put it on, and shot 199 and then 200 or 200 and then 199 with it. The unsingle went to Elmer; I have shot over-singles for 15 more years and never given the alternative a second thought.

Neil

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Both a unsingle and top single will shoot the same. I shoot a Caesar Guerini high rib unsingle. I like the unsingle because of the less heat waves on the lower barrels. I also have a Beretta 682 combo with a unsingle as my back up gun.

So you made a good choice in your new gun. Just set it up for you and go out and break some targets.

20. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Neil,

I take it that you shoot targets off the barrel?

Matt Woodson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

unsingle versus oversingle trap shotgun