1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Overlay Trap/Skeet Fields Why the Controversy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Ok I have to ask this question.

Why do some trap shooters dislike the overlay fields, a comment was made at me by a Trap shooter that, “The IDNR has ruined 28 trap fields by building those skeet houses”.

As a long time skeet shooter with 70,000 targets I really take offense some times, but tell myself that you can't stop ignorant comments you have to help the complainer see the light. I took up trap shooting last year because I moved to the mid-west and there are only like 600 trap fields within a 300 mile circle, that being said with the current anti-shooting, gun attitude in parts of the U.S. (Urban areas) the recreational shooters need to flex his and her muscles and unite. United we have a much louder voice and united we can send the liberal anti-gun media and politicians a message.

Ok off my soap box… but you comments are requested.

Ronbo

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Offer to pay for a couple of rounds of skeet for him while mentioning that as good a shot as he is he should have no problem busting them skeets.

I will put money on it he would refuse and will still complain because he is one of them snobbish stuck up people that gives trap shooters a bad rap. Dont get me wrong there are those skeet and sporting clay and 5 stand shooters that act the same way but he is just a stuck up trap shootin snob.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We have overlay fields, and I like it. It prevents cross calling from the voice pullers, and it gives me less peripheral distraction. I feel uncomfortable when I have to shoot on trap fields right next to each other, especially handicap events where you can see shooters moving around out of the corner of your eye.

HM

4. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

I have been told by several veteran shooters that they have a tendency to "Lose perspective" on the angle targets from stations 1 and 5. The complaints increase the farther back they go for handicap. In defense of the field operators that we all need to keep in business, they are just trying to make a profit, and in most cases, just keep their head above water adding more "games" that will hopefully draw more people to the range. This is something that we definately need right now.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Because trap shooters would b^tch if they didn't have something to b^tch about.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

At smaller clubs it can cause (big) problems as it reduces number of fields available. It can shut down the use of one or the other during a shoot.

With that thought in mind I advise smallller clubs not to be in a rush to overlay a 5-stand on a combo skeet/trap field as then they become the bad guys.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, it takes more room than the average layout for an overlay, however, were fields that far apart the norm, it wouldn't hurt my feelings per halfmile's comments. Then, the not normal view of fences and skeet houses can be annoying to those that aren't used to them and the echo of sounds between the skeet fences and houses can also be disconcerting to those not familiar. These issues are worst to those at longer yardage of course....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. The Stive

The Stive Member

I do not have a problem shooting on overlay fields. I am looking for that orange thing in the sky. See it, shoot it,and maybe even break it. No problem.
    John

9. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

What Devil's Advocate said. No problem unlesss you are shooting trap and the targets from an adjacent skeet field fly into your field. On some days with winds I have seen skeet targets end up between the trap house and the 16 yard line. It has happened to my squad during a registered shoot. That is too much distraction. If it's just a practice round I can live with it.

10. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

What Devil's Advocate said. No problem unlesss you are shooting trap and the targets from an adjacent skeet field fly into your field. On some days with winds I have seen skeet targets end up between the trap house and the 16 yard line. It has happened to my squad during a registered shoot. That is too much distraction. If it's just a practice round I can live with it.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I will shoot anything involving clay targets....problem around here is, that the local trap/skeet fascility is not well run, and are more interested in making sure your member ship in the Fish and Game Association is up to date and that you have your card with you than in making shooting pleasurable. And they are not in any way intersted in ATA registered shoots. JMHO...

Ron Burr

Lethbridge, Alberta

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

I love it when shooting skeet next to the trap field. On more than a few occasions we will stand out in front of station 7 and shoot the birds the trap shooters miss. It can really be fun and interesting at times. ;-)

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Well let's just see where Leo and Kay shoot their targets and demand the same area for your round. Sounds fair to me.

Myself the skeetie shacks don't make a difference. I don't see them. I am too busy concentrating on the next target to notice.

But I am not going for money either.

Rock

Jim

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Bob ... there is the scowling face wrinkled forehead serious types of shooters than there is the lets have a safe fun time and enjoy ourselves types of shooters which is usually allot of fun to be around and to shoot with.

Have you thought about losing the scowl and letting those wrinkles loosen up a little and learn to have fun again type of shooter? I bet you would be happier and overall improve your shooting as a whole.

Oh well there are some who can have fun at what they do and then there are those that do what they do to have fun ... personally I like to have fun at whatever I do and those people make the best shooting companions, especially when the entire club likes to have good clean safe fun.

15. m70win

m70win Member

Maybe his club has them shooting on the same field at the same time.

Tim

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

We tried that but it was far to confusing ... the trappies kept accidentaely shooting the skeeters while the skeeties kept accidentely shooting the trappers and there were to many arguments as to who shot exactly what and where and ... well ... it was a failed attempt but it was fun to hear all the ambulances sirenes blaring the way they did. ;-))

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Bob ... have you thought maybe they shot that way to chase you off? Maybe it was you and not them ... just a thought.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Lumper; Gosh, someone other me things you running for dumb a__ of the month. Maltzie already has him up for TS jerk-off of the year.

Don

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have a question??????????

This was his first 25 striaght and we ALL shot his hat and NO ONE got hurt.
    <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Should we stop shooting hats because this is unsafe?

Jerbear

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

You just can't fix stupid. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skeet and trap overlay